Coral Vue Hydros

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Hey! Looking so nice!!!! Looks the the algae battle is won. I just can't bring myself to comment on your rack! :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree! Great rack! ;)

You have the RKL right? Can you explain a little about it to me? Will it control my LEDs/heater/etc? Do I have to purchase extra modules for it? How hard was it to set up? I'm reading on their site but they have things that are way out of my league like ozone and wavemakers and stuff. I really just want to not fry my tank and maybe have the dawn/dusk effect on my lights.

You guys are funny.....my rack :lol:

I do have the RKL. I have mine set to run lights, heater, and fan. You can set it so the fan will turn on when the temperature hits a certain degree. I just have mine programmed as "lights" to run when my LEDS are going. I actually have the fans turn off about 30minutes after the lights go out...just to help with cool down. The temperature function is the best. No worries about over-heating your tank. It comes with a temperature probe.

I've had this thing for quite a few years. It was difficult for me when I first got it. I had to go to the website forums to help me set it up. There are great tutorials in there. The instructions they give you are nonsense. I couldn't make heads or tails of it at all :lol: Definitely go to the forums if you have trouble...which I guarantee you will :) I can also answer questions for you.

So today is a Frag Tank set-up day. I have the back painted. I'm off to Lowe's to get my egg crate. Then to my LFS for rock and water. They have Scripps water there. I used that to set my NC12 up initially. It's better than having to mix 10 gallons of water ;)

I'm excited to get this thing going :)

TheNordCelt
You guys are funny.....my rack :lol:

I do have the RKL. I have mine set to run lights, heater, and fan. You can set it so the fan will turn on when the temperature hits a certain degree. I just have mine programmed as "lights" to run when my LEDS are going. I actually have the fans turn off about 30minutes after the lights go out...just to help with cool down. The temperature function is the best. No worries about over-heating your tank. It comes with a temperature probe.

I've had this thing for quite a few years. It was difficult for me when I first got it. I had to go to the website forums to help me set it up. There are great tutorials in there. The instructions they give you are nonsense. I couldn't make heads or tails of it at all :lol: Definitely go to the forums if you have trouble...which I guarantee you will :) I can also answer questions for you.

So today is a Frag Tank set-up day. I have the back painted. I'm off to Lowe's to get my egg crate. Then to my LFS for rock and water. They have Scripps water there. I used that to set my NC12 up initially. It's better than having to mix 10 gallons of water ;)

I'm excited to get this thing going :)

nice! i should have my frag tank going soon too!

And, I love your rack.

I'm going to research the pros and cons of the RKL vs the Apex Jr. I kind of like the iPhone app with the Apex. Then I can watch my tank from work! :lol:

I can't wait to see your frag tank going together! I demand step-by-step pics of how you do these amazing setups of yours! :happy:

Wow. I think I just got re-inspired for how I might do the rock scape a bit differently. I've been racking my brain (tee hee hee, couldn't help it) trying to figure out what is different about your tank -- you don't have the rocks "centered" which is the plan in most every tank I've seen. The main rock pile flows from the back left corner, leaving the right wall more open and preserving open sand bed in a kind of curve around the front. The perception of movement is totally different...as are the opportunities for coral placement. Hmmm. Much to consider!

msscha, my scape is similar in my BC 14. Check it out and you'll get a better sense of the of-center scape since my rocks aren't covered (yet). :happy:

Home school your kids. They learn sooo much "stuff" at school :lol: I'm amazed the things he's been told at school omgomgomg

I've read about "unschooling." It sounds tempting.

Nice rack? haha.

But seriously those are some great photo. The pink polyp monti looks like candy.

msscha...my rock has like a curve to it thats incredibly hard to describe...but it isn't completely centered as you have noticed. It has quite a bit of dimension to it that you just can't see in a photo...and now also since the coral has grown in.

Ok.....frag tank is completed :happy:

Boy...when I set to work I don't stop till it's finished :lol: I picked up my egg crate and pvc pipe for the pillars. The pillars consist of two fat pieces that I glued together. I have two soap dishes, one on each side to hold any cuttings that I need to attached to rock. It can also serve to hold some chaeto.

The equipment on the tank includes the following:

10g rimless tank

Current Nova Extreme 2xT5HO lighting

Eheim 50w heater

Koralia nano240

AquaClear 20 filter

Toms Aquatics Surface Skimmer

I have approximately 10 pounds of aquacultured purple fiji rock. Hopefully I won't lose that purple since it went into cold water ...oops :) Right now the tank is warming up. It sits at 75 degrees. The water was 72 degrees when the rock went in.

I wonder how long it will take to fill in the rack :lol: Here are some progression pictures.

Gluing the pvc together. Each pillar consists of 2 pieces. I used super-glue to connect them. Worked perfectly.

fragtank1.jpg

fragtank2.jpg

Soap dishes in place

fragtank3.jpg

fragtank4.jpg

Koralia nano and AC filter in place

fragtank6.jpg

Live Rock placed

fragtank7.jpg

fragtank8.jpg

Heater

fragtank9.jpg

fragtank10.jpg

Completed

fragtank11.jpg

So now I just need to order new bulbs since I'm not sure how old these are. I also have a free bottle of Brightwell MB7 that I'm going to add once the temperature hits it's target. It's still warming up at this point.

Guess that's it for now :)

Thanks, Randi!!!! I've always wanted one and now I have it. Unfortunately I have to maintain it now too :lol:

nice! i should have my frag tank going soon too!

And, I love your rack.

Awesome! What size are you going with? I have a feeling mine will fill up very fast :lol:

You'll have it full before you know it! Since you trim the Kenya you can grow the frags now and sell/trade them! ;)

What I plan on doing! All the stuff I have will need fraging in a few months, the chalice sooner......

And the frogspawn is splitting 2 of the heads again! I am just pleased everything is doing so well.

Your tank was an inspiration, when I first started the tank I wanted all softies, LPS and mushies BUT then I got addicted to SPS and look what happened! I have a pretty decent mixed reef now!

The frag tank should be easy to maintain if you run a low Nutrient system. Maybe a single damsel and then feed once a week.

So cool!

That is an awesome little frag tank! I think you'll fill it in no time! ;)

Thanks, banshee!!!!! I have a feeling it will fill up in no time too!!!! I just have to make sure I keep things moving out :lol: I plan to sell a lot on Craigslist. I've already sold some Kenya Tree that way.

You'll have it full before you know it! Since you trim the Kenya you can grow the frags now and sell/trade them! ;)

What I plan on doing! All the stuff I have will need fraging in a few months, the chalice sooner......

And the frogspawn is splitting 2 of the heads again! I am just pleased everything is doing so well.

Your tank was an inspiration, when I first started the tank I wanted all softies, LPS and mushies BUT then I got addicted to SPS and look what happened! I have a pretty decent mixed reef now!

The frag tank should be easy to maintain if you run a low Nutrient system. Maybe a single damsel and then feed once a week.

So cool!

Your tank is an awesome mix of corals. I LOVE it :)

I wasn't even considering fish for this frag tank, but I guess I do need some for the poop. I think I'll go with the pink-streaked wrasse for the "bug" eating and a Tailspot blenny for the algae. Ok...now I'm even more excited since I get more fish :lol:

________

In other news. My brother, who just got back home to Austin yesterday,(was on a business trip in Ireland) is now in Kansas STORM CHASING!!!!! He's big into that. I guess today is a VERY high risk day for tornados. It's a dream come true for him. Saying prayers for him and anyone in the path of those tornados. Be safe!!!!!

oncorhynchus

I have that same soap dish. One thing I noticed is it will do better for chaeto if you drill additional holes on the sides and front otherwise there is not much flow at all.

Bahahahah you're gonna get a pink streaked wrasse too?! Lets see who can get theirs first, I'm still waiting to hear back from the LFS...

msscha, my scape is similar in my BC 14. Check it out and you'll get a better sense of the of-center scape since my rocks aren't covered (yet). :happy:

Will do!

That's well cool! what storm's he chasing? and why? Your frag tank looks well amazing!

There was a tornado outbreak yesterday in the midwest. Not sure how familiar you are with the USA. Basically the mid-section of the country. Have you ever seen the Discovery Channel show called "Storm Chasers"? They basically do that. For the thrill :lol: They even saw the "Storm Chaser" team and the car "The Dominator" while on their adventure yesterday. I think that was an even bigger thrill than seeing the tornadoes!!!!!

Thanks about my frag tank!!!!! I love it so much :)

I have that same soap dish. One thing I noticed is it will do better for chaeto if you drill additional holes on the sides and front otherwise there is not much flow at all.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to use those baskets mainly for items that I need to attach to rubble/rock. Like mushrooms, kenya, xenia, etc. So I will welcome the very low flow for that reason. Right now I stuck some Dragon's breath in the basket. I only have a small piece left so hoping it will grow some in there.

Bahahahah you're gonna get a pink streaked wrasse too?! Lets see who can get theirs first, I'm still waiting to hear back from the LFS...

I think I am!!!!! I was going to do the sixline instead, but with further research....I think the pink-streaked would be better. Less aggressive. But still hunts. Plus so much prettier. I'm still waiting for my frag tank to cycle so it will be at least a couple of weeks before I can add one. We'll be fish twins :lol:

Cool!

LMAO he gave you a shout out! :lol:

Really???? I watched a lot of his day but must have missed the shout out :lol: I was texting him pretty much all day yesterday and into the night.

So is your frag tank full yet?! :lol:

:lol: Not yet! It's cycling. It's full.....in my mind though :happy: Can't wait to start stocking it!!!!!!!!

Yeah he mentioned you like 5-10 times! LMAO and the one you posted the link to he says Hi Gena at the end.

Mentions that your saying thinks like "that's cool" etc! LMAO

Then the one vid where they stop at the gas station and it's just everyone walking around! LMAO :lol:

Yeah he mentioned you like 5-10 times! LMAO and the one you posted the link to he says Hi Gena at the end.

Mentions that your saying thinks like "that's cool" etc! LMAO

Then the one vid where they stop at the gas station and it's just everyone walking around! LMAO :lol:

I'll have to go back and watch the recordings. How did I miss that??????

I want to storm chase with him so badly :lol: As long as they don't get too close!!!!! He texted me this morning that they are just getting to the Texas border,headed back home. It was totally the thrill of his life...especially seeing "the dominator" :)

surgicalsense

Wow that looks great! I can not wait to see your frag tank :happy: ... well I will buy any corals your happy to sell :D ... like your tiny birdsnest frag and/or any others.

Your frag tank has very clean and neat look to it.

That's a sweet frag tank. Maybe I'll just do my tank like that. Then I won't have to worry about rockscaping. I can just stare at the pretty corals. :P

Archived