Cultivated Reef

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

colormyheart
Hellooooo :happy:

The insides of my blue cloves are blue, but if you mean the big pink cloves...they are still just pink with orange on the "fingers". I think the insides will be a glowing green eventually...not sure though. I also just added some green cloves next to the pink cloves. They are growing pretty fast so I should have a nice area of fluffy cloves before too long :happy:

I'll get a FTS later today. Things aren't totally awake yet. Including me :lol: I can't believe I slept in until 10am today :lol: Of course, I had to get up before that to let the dogs out. Feed the cat. Get the fish food soaking in selcon for their morning meal. But...I did go back to sleep until 10am. It was wonderful :)

Aww, that's great! The cloves I ordered from Mr. Coral looked DOA when I got them, but I gave them a chance and 1 out of 3 made it. But when he opened, he didn't have any color! Anyways, he was accidentally smushed by a rock, so it doesn't matter now. But I love your clove garden! :)

Haha, I slept until 11! This is the first weekend I've had to myself. I was actually able to sleep in for once. :) How many times a day do you feed the tank?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiiiii. Where's that video?

I'm sad you're getting rid of your yellow ball sponge but yay for Danielle!

Congrats on the little shrimp babies.

Aww, that's great! The cloves I ordered from Mr. Coral looked DOA when I got them, but I gave them a chance and 1 out of 3 made it. But when he opened, he didn't have any color! Anyways, he was accidentally smushed by a rock, so it doesn't matter now. But I love your clove garden! :)

Haha, I slept until 11! This is the first weekend I've had to myself. I was actually able to sleep in for once. :) How many times a day do you feed the tank?

Well, hopefully I can share mine with you eventually, if you still need them at that point :)

I felt like a teenager sleeping in today :lol:

I only feed once a day, in the morning. The fish let me know it's time for them to eat too. They are very pushy :lol:

Hiiiii. Where's that video?

I'm sad you're getting rid of your yellow ball sponge but yay for Danielle!

Congrats on the little shrimp babies.

I never got around to it :lol: I probably won't this weekend either. But, hopefully next week!!!!!

You'll still be able to see the sponge ;) I still have my little frilly sponge too.

No video, but pictures as promised :happy:

Tomorrow my tank will be 1 year and 2 months old!

FTS 4-7-12

fts2-7-12.jpg

Pink birdsnest frag in single frag mount until my magnetic one comes in...waiting impatiently :lol:

birdfrag.jpg

clown-2.jpg

Clove forest (eventually ;))

cloveds.jpg

Pink birdsnest with my new favorite macro in the background, from Danielle. LOVE it!!!

macro.jpg

ricordea.jpg

I love it! How did you get the macro to stay put? What's left of mine all made it to the back behind the rocks after the superglue broke loose. :angry: Can I claim some of those clove polyps when they're big enough?! Or can you point me in the right direction for picking some up?! I absolutely love them and that's the kind of stuff I want my tank covered in eventually! ;)

Looks beautiful!

How are the nudi's doing?

Oh I had a little tipsy photography session a minute ago. Working on the upload right now! ;)

I love it! How did you get the macro to stay put? What's left of mine all made it to the back behind the rocks after the superglue broke loose. :angry: Can I claim some of those clove polyps when they're big enough?! Or can you point me in the right direction for picking some up?! I absolutely love them and that's the kind of stuff I want my tank covered in eventually! ;)

Thanks, banshee!!!! I just shoved the macro in without gluing or anything. So far it's staying put. I think it's going to do well in my tank. fingerscrossed

The cloves I picked up at PYA. I've seen them available from pretty much every vendor online though. I don't think it will be too long before I'll be able to offer some for sale here..they seem to be growing very quickly. I will reserve some for you :happy:

Looks beautiful!

How are the nudi's doing?

Oh I had a little tipsy photography session a minute ago. Working on the upload right now! ;)

Thanks, Randi! I ended up taking my nudis back to the LFS. The gobies (or one of the gobies) was harrassing them. I knew they would be dead before too long from the abuse so I took action. Didn't want to see them tortured in my tank.

Looking good Gena! :) As always!

Thanks, Paige!!!!!

And Happy Easter to everyone!!!!!! It's a beautiful day here today. I hope it's the same where you are :flower:

Thank you, Joel!!!!!

Ok....I made a change in my tank that I'm extremely happy with!!!!!! I pulled the kenya tree that was at the front of the tank and replaced it with my magicians. I think it looks sooo much better :happy: Now my magicians will have more room to grow too. I had just purchased a few new paly frags from PYA. I had a store credit with them so figured I use it before I forgot about it :lol: They are still adjusting to my tank. Hopefully they'll turn out nice and plump like my magicians.

Anyways...here's the new FTS from today. The tank is 1 year and 2 months old today. See the change?

FTS 4-8-12

fts4-8-12.jpg

Hey Gena. I love the new FTS! Everything looks so bright and happy. I know I've said it before, but I like the pink color scheme in your tank.

Btw, how's the freshwater? I feel like you haven't mentioned it or posted photos in a while.

ooooooooooo aaaaaaaaaahh

Btw, how's the freshwater? I feel like you haven't mentioned it or posted photos in a while.

ditto

And exciting news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally have baby cherry shrimp!!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I looked in the FW tank today. So far I've seen two :happy:

Congratulations!! :flower: (we really need a congrats emoticon, maybe one with a baby blanket :P)

Where did you put the kenya tree? Your tank looks gorgeous not matter what you do. Happy Easter Gena!

I beat it up pretty badly removing it from the rock so I ended up tossing it. I felt pretty badly about it too :( But, I'm happy with the end result. Thank you!!!! Hope you had a wonderful Easter :)

Hey Gena. I love the new FTS! Everything looks so bright and happy. I know I've said it before, but I like the pink color scheme in your tank.

Thanks, Felicia!!!!! I've somehow managed to turn this tank into a mostly pink and green color scheme. Which I'm very happy about.

The freshwater is great. It's pretty much on auto pilot. I hardly do anything with it. The plants are growing a ton and I have baby cherry shrimp. I just gave some moss cuttings to Danielle on Friday and it's already growing in again. I'll try to get a picture of it posted today.

:happydance:

:flower:

Looking good ;)

ooooooooooo aaaaaaaaaahh

ditto

:happy:

Congratulations!! :flower: (we really need a congrats emoticon, maybe one with a baby blanket :P)

Thanks! I agree about the emoticon!!!!!

________

My son had the day off of school today so we went to the beach with friends. It was soooo wonderful to be back at the ocean again...even if it is freakin cold :lol: Can't beat the smell of the ocean :happy:

I actually stayed pretty covered up. Long sleeves and pants plus a hat. It's just not quite sun bathing weather here yet. The kids went IN the water though.....they are nutz!!!!!! They had a blast though.

Ok....here's the freshwater pics for you guys. First is the FTS. Second is a close-up of 2 babies. I counted 7 babies tonight omgomgomg I wonder how many more are hiding in there?????

fwfts4-9-12.jpg

cherryshrimpbabies.jpg

As I said before..this tank is basically on auto pilot. The only thing I do is feed everyday and change the floss once a month. I skipped last months water change. I don't see any side effects of that. All fish are still living and healthy. This is my most successful FW to date :)

I should add some FW plants to our GloFish tank! It would be so much cooler than the glow-in-the-dark plastic plants the kids picked out! :P

How do you get your rics to stay put? Mine keep blowing behind the rock scape. I'm worried about how I'm going to keep the new dozen in place! :D

fwfts4-9-12.jpg

I'm not much of a FW kinda guy, but if I was going to do a planted tank it would look like that for sure. Well played ma'am.

Love the babies! We've had FW fish have babies before -- a few even made it to adulthood! None of the ones in the big FW at home have provided next generations. Wish they would...this would slow down my fantasies of converting it into a SW Caribbean biotype tank! It's just 45 gallons, but it's deep, so lighting would be a pain. Biggest thing is that I am so rarely home to enjoy it. This week is crazy -- I feel like I literally just go home to sleep. Blech!

I love beach days with the kids. They will go in the water when it's really cold, though our Atlantic coast is not as chilly as your Pacific. I knew the water was cool, though, when I saw my son walking funny...turns out the retreating boys were so cold they were causing actual pain! Not something I've experienced :lol: -- after wrapping in a towel to bake in the sun for 10 minutes, he was fine. Then, I have to explain about 20 minutes later that when it hurts so much he's walking funny, get out of the water and warm up!!

Archived