Coral Vue Hydros

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

I know :) You've been the expert on water chemistry lately too :happy:

HAHA Yeah sure! Just on the big 3 now! Makes me feel smart!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm following your lead! I've been doing WC's 2-3 times per week and dozing calcium for my brain. Instant Ocean only gives me 360-380 calcium for some reason but everything else is right on so I can live with only one type of dosing. I wonder how fast I can get growth considering I have the stock compact fluorescent lighting? I want to upgrade eventually but I also want to make sure I'm not going to crash the tank first!

A lot of people have success with Instant Ocean. I think it mainly depends on what type of coral you are keeping. Before I had my LEDs I had a lot of softy and LPS growth, with the stock lighting.

HAHA Yeah sure! Just on the big 3 now! Makes me feel smart!

:)

So, I decided to tackle my lights this morning. I've been meaning to switch one panorama around so that the color is more even throughout the tank. I had a lot of white light on the left side of the tank and a lot of blue on the right. Now the color is even. I'll be curious to see what affect this has on the algae. Notice, most of my algae growth is on the left side...the side that had mostly white light. My husband said this morning..."does this mean now you'll have algae growing on both sides?" :lol:......I hope not :huh:

So, I decided to tackle my lights this morning. I've been meaning to switch one panorama around so that the color is more even throughout the tank. I had a lot of white light on the left side of the tank and a lot of blue on the right. Now the color is even. I'll be curious to see what affect this has on the algae. Notice, most of my algae growth is on the left side...the side that had mostly white light. My husband said this morning..."does this mean now you'll have algae growing on both sides?" :lol:......I hope not :huh:

HA good powers of deduction! Naw it will probably help get rid of it as you'll be evening the light out.

I only have softies and the brain. That sounds like a bad cartoon! :lol: I'm thinking I want to focus on a wide variety of rics and mushies on the left with the frogspawn I just ordered somewhere on the open right side. I'm hoping my xenia will take off and spread around the back right corner. I want to get some button and cup corals for the middle of my rock. I also want a couple more mini minis. :happy:

Speaking of corals I've been trying to figure out what the orangish colored ones you have that look kind of like the mushrooms I see growing in the woods are. They have a stock with a flatish/inverted cap. I love them!

Do you mean the ones on the left hand side? If so, those are just generic palys. They have that long stalk because they are reaching for light and trying to get above the algae that's growing around them. I like them too :)

Your plan sounds excellent, btw!!!!!

Password ;)

OOOOHHHHHH :slap:

I can't play it now though cause I forgot my phone at home this morning :angry:

I blame it on taking ambien for the first time.

OOOOHHHHHH :slap:

I can't play it now though cause I forgot my phone at home this morning :angry:

I blame it on taking ambien for the first time.

Never taken it, but I would imagine it could do weird stuff to you. Hope your sleep pattern improves for you!

How are the nudi's and the algae doing? Or did I miss that update??? Oh, and happy Monday also.

Thanks, Mark :) Happy Monday to you too :)

I'm pretty sure I only have the big nudi left. I haven't seen the small one since it went in the tank. No sign of a body either so ????? I'm assuming it died. The big one is doing great though. He cruises all over. I did find him in my surface skimmer one day...had to rescue him from that :lol: He seems to be eating the algae but I'm not sure. In areas I've seen him, the algae has gone away. Maybe coincidence..hopefully not!!!!! No drastic change in algae at this point.

I'll be in Cali may14th-17th

So May instead of April? Those are weekdays too...bummer. Not a Saturday or Sunday possible?????

surgicalsense
So May instead of April? Those are weekdays too...bummer. Not a Saturday or Sunday possible?????

Oh I missed that part when he told me :huh: He (Brad) better be able to do the weekend.

Oh I missed that part when he told me :huh: He (Brad) better be able to do the weekend.

I hope so too! My son's still in school then. Unless we meet them in the evening...go to dinner after Vivid.

Draw something? I got password today :lol:

Yep :)

Well. That's when the trip is I just figured I'd let you know that days. If you guys can't its cool.

Vivd and sushi maybe? Man I wish I was still there!

I'm sure we could work something out!!!!! Are any of those evenings open for you? Do you know where you'll be staying?

Not sure where yet. It will just be me though Brit has finals that week. Monday is dinner Tuesday is jump Wednesday free Thursday fly back

It's such a rare treat to see both of my pompom crabs out together. Usually I only get separate glimpses of them when I feed. What a surprise it was this morning to see them together. I ran for my camera and luckily they had stayed put for me. The male is smaller than the female and she, once again, has her egg sack. My fish will be quite happy to eat that spawn up this week :happy:

boxers.jpg

boxers2.jpg

boxers4.jpg

boxers5.jpg

Archived