SaltCritters.com

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Oh....guess the yellow ball sponge's name? Yep...Spongebob :lol: I didn't name him, btw :)

:lol: Kids names for fish tank things are so predictable, but its still entertaining.

I guess I'll have to order myself a few of those starfish sometime next week. I was also considering getting one of the little horseshoe crabs they have on the site. Anyone know anything about horseshoe crabs? I can't find a lot about them in reef tanks. I'll probably also get a few of the rics they have to add to my little ric garden.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: Kids names for fish tank things are so predictable, but its still entertaining.

I guess I'll have to order myself a few of those starfish sometime next week. I was also considering getting one of the little horseshoe crabs they have on the site. Anyone know anything about horseshoe crabs? I can't find a lot about them in reef tanks. I'll probably also get a few of the rics they have to add to my little ric garden.

Yeah. I love Spongebob. I mean.. loved.

I've wondered how horseshoe crabs work for tanks. I've seen them for sale. But the only ones I know of are the kind that live in Florida and are a foot long. Surely there's a mini species.

Yay ric garden.

Definitely add ricordeas to your order! I would have, but I already have plenty ;)

Spongebob is too cute. I'll love him forever :)

New FTS. With Spongebob moved to the right. I think the balance of the tank is much better this way. I don't know what I was thinking when I plopped it down in the center yesterday :lol:

Another nudi picture too. He'd been cruising around the algae, but stopped for a break here. The other one crawled out of sight.

FTS 3-16-12

fts3-16-12.jpg

fts3-16-12nudi.jpg

Yeah, I like the sponge off to the side much better. The balance was definitely a bit off before and now it looks much better :D

Spongebob is too cute. I'll love him forever :)

FTS 3-16-12

fts3-16-12.jpg

Is there a Gary? Patrick? SQUIDWARD?!

Gena, this is as gorgeous as ever.

Thanks, JD and Felicia! You're right, Jordan....it does look like a brain. Maybe I'll just refer to it as the yellow brain from now on. He's out and about but still no sign of the little one. Hopefully it's just back behind the rocks.

Thanks, Ethan! I have a spongebob, and a couple of patricks. No squidwards :lol:

Danielle brought me a frag of her xenia last night. It's doing GREAT! It did not end up being hermit food like the last time!!!!

It's pink and pulsing away :happy: I do hope it likes my tank!

You are so bad :lol:

So....do you rest on the weekends, or still kick butt at the gym?

:D Sunday is my rest day, as most Sundays I'm up at 6am to be ready to play at church and then I probably have practice at 7pm for the next Sunday. I still worked out today, but it was just a light 6 mile bike ride and some sit ups. But today and tomorrow are both days I don't really care about my calories. :)

It does still taste bitter. But the chocolatey flavor helps! It doesn't actually have chocolate in it. It's the combination of coffee and vanilla that tastes like dark chocolate to us.

Mmmm -- I really like Double Chocolate Stout, but only in winter. Too rich for Florida any other time of year!

Yep...sealifeinc! The little one is moving around a lot. The big one, not so much. He traveled a little distance but not a whole lot. I hope they do ok! I'm nervous about them.

So, newbie question for you. How do you arrange to be at home when the shipment arrives? I would have to go to the post office to pick up anything live; they won't leave it in my mailbox. UPS and FedEx just drop packages, no matter the content! I'd be terrified of things dying before I could get them back to the office. Using campus mail would be a total mistake! Maybe since Reef Gardener is in Florida I could just drive to where they are. Hmm.

FTS with ball sponge in place

sponge2.jpg

Your tank is just so beautiful! Isn't it fun to have something ROUND in the tank? Spheres are not a common shape in nature, at least not for the whole organism. I also really like the nudibranch. I barely have enough algae to keep the snails alive, but I have been putting in a small bit of nori every week to help. I am also thinking of getting a berghia nudi to take care of the aiptasia. Since my peppermint shrimp died, those suckers are popping up everywhere! I had no idea it had been doing such a good job. I would really like another one. Maybe I'll try one next week again. If it dies, then onto the nudibranch.

+1 on moving the sponge over, looks much more natural. The tank is looking amazing!

Also, I would like to put in a photo request for a top down shot of the ric garden! They curl up so we don't get to admire all the different pretty colours :D

:D Sunday is my rest day, as most Sundays I'm up at 6am to be ready to play at church and then I probably have practice at 7pm for the next Sunday. I still worked out today, but it was just a light 6 mile bike ride and some sit ups. But today and tomorrow are both days I don't really care about my calories. :)

Sunday is probably my favorite day of the week. It's my "relax" day :happy:

Is it warm in WV too? Seems everyone's having awesome weather lately!!!!!

So, newbie question for you. How do you arrange to be at home when the shipment arrives? I would have to go to the post office to pick up anything live; they won't leave it in my mailbox. UPS and FedEx just drop packages, no matter the content! I'd be terrified of things dying before I could get them back to the office. Using campus mail would be a total mistake! Maybe since Reef Gardener is in Florida I could just drive to where they are. Hmm.

Your tank is just so beautiful! Isn't it fun to have something ROUND in the tank? Spheres are not a common shape in nature, at least not for the whole organism. I also really like the nudibranch. I barely have enough algae to keep the snails alive, but I have been putting in a small bit of nori every week to help. I am also thinking of getting a berghia nudi to take care of the aiptasia. Since my peppermint shrimp died, those suckers are popping up everywhere! I had no idea it had been doing such a good job. I would really like another one. Maybe I'll try one next week again. If it dies, then onto the nudibranch.

Pretty simple...I don't work :lol: I'm a stay-at-home mom. Well...I still do work. I help my husband with his internet business, plus I sell on eBay.

Lucky, being in Florida with the opportunity to visit Reef Gardener in person! I would love to go to her place :happy:

It is pretty cool! That round sponge is one of my favorite things. Plus I love the yellow color so much. I still only see the one nudibranch. It's making it's way around the tank, but very slowly. I hope the smaller one is still alive. This is mainly why I bought two...in case one doesn't make it.

+1 on moving the sponge over, looks much more natural. The tank is looking amazing!

Also, I would like to put in a photo request for a top down shot of the ric garden! They curl up so we don't get to admire all the different pretty colours :D

Thanks, Paige!!!! Pictures you requested will be below :)

Gena looks amazing. I would like to nominate your tank for TOTM soon, just an amazing tank.

Thanks, Randi! You're so sweet :happy:

Here's the pictures of the ricordeas. Ignore the cyano :lol: That was before I did my Sunday cleaning. The other one is after my cleaning. There are some Kenya trees in the shot because I pulled them out to sell them. I have them listed on Craigslist. If anyone here is interested, let me know.

The last photo is the xenia that Danielle brought to me on Friday. It's doing SOOOO well!!!! I'm super excited about it. It's very cool :happy:

topdownricordeas.jpg

topdownricordeas2.jpg

pulsingxenia.jpg

I love the top view shots of the Ricordia. Tanks looking nice!

It's hard to make ricordeas look bad...they are too awesome :) Thanks so much :happy:

It's hard to make ricordeas look bad...they are too awesome :) Thanks so much :happy:

Lol no problem.

Nice look down your top! ;):P Those rics are awesome!

:D

Love those rics! Well, I love the whole thing really.

I just got some rics from Morgan. They are so colorful.....now I want more.

tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

:haha:

Seems everyone's having awesome weather lately!!!!!

topdownricordeas.jpg

omgomgomg they make me all googly eyed

ugh it's already hot in hotlanta. This is going to be a miserable summer :(

Thanks, guys!!!!!

It's only 49 degrees right now. I think it'll make it into the 60s today. Calling for 70s in a couple of days...thank goodness :)

Still only one nudibranch in sight. I can't really tell if he's made a dent in anything either. Oh well...he's pretty to look at :)

Those rics really are awesome Gena. Too bad Vivid charges like $25 a pop. I have one orange one. I need a blue, green, yellow, and a peach.

Archived