Top Shelf Aquatics

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

That yuma is :o Beautiful!!!! Buy it ;) You can then share with us when it has the babes :)

I can't replace the leather with anything. The whole point of removing it was to give room to the existing coral. Trust me....in time, things will fill in that empty space :lol:

I can't justify $50 on one shroom.

I'm impatient waaah :wacko:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't justify $50 on one shroom.

I'm impatient waaah :wacko:

Think of it as an investment. Shrooms are almost impossible to kill and once it's ready to be cut, quarter it, sell three and keep one, netting doube the money you paid. B)

My corals are just starting to get big enough for me to do some fragging :)

Mine too. :) going to be a long time before my tank pays for itself but I don't think any of us do it for the money.

My coral is big enough to frag but I have no where to place the frags :lol:

I think I need one of those fancy frag racks like Danielle has. Where'd you get it Danielle?????

I don't make any money because I'm constantly giving things away for free :rolleyes: I would say I definitely don't do it for the money :lol:

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to break open one of my new bags of salt. Alk tested at 8.6 WOOOHOOO!!!!!! So I DID have a bad bucket of salt. Now....what to do with the almost full bucket of salt? I can't dump it in the trash (hazardous material). I suppose I could sell it fully disclosing the low ALK issue. It's still good for a FOWLR type tank. Or even usuable in a reef if you dose the buffer.

Anyone interested in my bucket of salt here? Local pickup? My coral all react fine to the salt if I buffer it. How much should I charge? I was thinking $25 for the almost full bucket. Is that too low? I'll probably throw it on Craigslist.

Think of it as an investment. Shrooms are almost impossible to kill and once it's ready to be cut, quarter it, sell three and keep one, netting doube the money you paid. B)

hmmm my girlfriend would call you a bad influence.

Mine too. :) going to be a long time before my tank pays for itself but I don't think any of us do it for the money.

True

I do.

/thread

:lol:

I think I need one of those fancy frag racks like Danielle has. Where'd you get it Danielle?????

You DO need a frag tank! Yay for the good news.

I'd put it on Craigslist. Most people there don't know anything, so the Alk issue won't mean anything.

surgicalsense
It's a beautiful mushroom. I hope he was able to find something like that!!!! If not today, then eventually. I'm looking forward to seeing what he got later today. He was also looking for a lettuce nudibranch for me. I know I can get them online if he had no luck.

Tank is clear. I should have time to post some pics. later today. If not, then tomorrow. Friday is my really open day when I have no commitments :)

As some of you may know, I've been having ALK issues. Well, yesterday morning I woke up to my beautiful bright red monticap looking pale pink. Evenly pale pink. I noticed the green monti right near it looked pale as well. My new ATL cap is perfectly fine as well as the other frag of green monti looking perfectly fine. Not sure what happened. The two lightened ones are nearer to the top of the water. Maybe when I did my dosing the buffer got on them? I also noticed my skunk cleaners doing a dance on them the night before which might have stressed them? Not sure...but I'm not happy about the bleaching. It's not any worse today so I don't think it's an STN event, but I don't know that for certain either. I'll just have to keep an eye on those two. Crazy how it was fine one day and not fine, the next morning. I think it's also possible that when I was moving things around it stressed them. I couldn't avoid having my cabbage leather touch the red monti for about 30 seconds. I'm sure that was enough to stress it out right there.

My birdsnests are still beautifully pink and green so?????? Just don't know. I'm sure it was a combination of things.

Need to get that dimmer switch from Ecoxotics. Let me know if you want me to hold the caps for you? We can least try to keep them a alive. My tank can kinda be like a hospital tank :P ... just an idea.

I don't make any money because I'm constantly giving things away for free :rolleyes: I would say I definitely don't do it for the money :lol:

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to break open one of my new bags of salt. Alk tested at 8.6 WOOOHOOO!!!!!! So I DID have a bad bucket of salt. Now....what to do with the almost full bucket of salt? I can't dump it in the trash (hazardous material). I suppose I could sell it fully disclosing the low ALK issue. It's still good for a FOWLR type tank. Or even usuable in a reef if you dose the buffer.

Anyone interested in my bucket of salt here? Local pickup? My coral all react fine to the salt if I buffer it. How much should I charge? I was thinking $25 for the almost full bucket. Is that too low? I'll probably throw it on Craigslist.

I will look at it when I get home. I do not recall of hand. I know the name of it is somewhere in the mid section of my thread with a picture (not that I expect you to waste time looking)

Need to get that dimmer switch from Ecoxotics. Let me know if you want me to hold the caps for you? We can least try to keep them a alive. My tank can kinda be like a hospital tank :P ... just an idea.

I will look at it when I get home. I do not recall of hand. I know the name of it is somewhere in the mid section of my thread with a picture (not that I expect you to waste time looking)

I think I have this monti problem figured out. Thanks for the offer though :)

I'll wait for you to tell me where you got it. I'm too lazy to search your thread :lol:

How's the tank coming along?!

Me? It's great. So's the FW. I just tore out a ton of moss yesterday. My fish are very grateful :lol:

Love the space! Makes it looks bigger!

Thanks, Randi! Hopefully it will fill in before too long :happy:

surgicalsense

Pismo reefer refered me to the site for the specific type of frag rack. I will find out for you later, promise.

Pismo reefer refered me to the site for the specific type of frag rack. I will find out for you later, promise.

Don't forget :)

Bummer you didn't have any luck yet with the purdy mushie. That was a really awesome one, I've never seen anything like it! I have a gazillion green fuzzy mushrooms... If you were closer (not to mention the same country :P ) I would donate a whole rock of them to you. They've already spread onto 2 other pieces of LR, so I'm kind of in containment mode with them now...

I notice the algae covering the rocks. I also notice that you feed 1 times per day. I think feeding every other day will definitely help you get those phosphates down and starve that algae out. Coupled with reducing you photoperiod (by even just 30min to an hour), I think you could eradicate the algae in 3-6 months. The tank is looking great though (fraggggg those crazy kenyas)

Bummer you didn't have any luck yet with the purdy mushie. That was a really awesome one, I've never seen anything like it! I have a gazillion green fuzzy mushrooms... If you were closer (not to mention the same country :P ) I would donate a whole rock of them to you. They've already spread onto 2 other pieces of LR, so I'm kind of in containment mode with them now...

I actually have those green rhodactis that you have! They are very pretty too! I'll get me that pretty pink mushroom eventually. If not locally, then by way of Joel :lol:

I notice the algae covering the rocks. I also notice that you feed 1 times per day. I think feeding every other day will definitely help you get those phosphates down and starve that algae out. Coupled with reducing you photoperiod (by even just 30min to an hour), I think you could eradicate the algae in 3-6 months. The tank is looking great though (fraggggg those crazy kenyas)

But I hand feed each thing in the tank! Literally, I have no waste! I use distilled water. I do two water changes a week! I seriously think this is bryopsis that looks like hair algae and that's why it isn't going away. I just ordered 2 lettuce nudibranches online. They should be here the middle of this week. Maybe they can fix this for me. Hopefully my shrimp won't mess with them. And hopefully they won't disappear.

BTW...I have the worst picture in the world to post. I got up at 3:30am Saturday morning, to get a drink of water. I took a peek in my tank and saw my clownfish laying on the brain. Not moving...just laying there. He was fast asleep :lol: I didn't use flash cuz I didn't want to frighten him. It's a very dark photo. Coming up soon :lol:

Aww cute fish!

LMAO I told A what the beer was he said eww! LMAO

I thought the photo on the label was so appropriate for the forum :lol:

What didn't A like about it? Coffee vanilla?

Haha that pic is reallyyy hard to make out, but I think I can decipher the cuteness :)

I agree about the cuteness! Did you think he was dead?

Are the nudi's coming this week?? Sounds cool!

Archived