Cultivated Reef

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

...devil's hand leather. Which, by the way, I'm thinking about removing. Just have to figure out what to replace it with. It takes up a lot of space and it will have to go eventually to make space for my growing monti caps.

I added a couple new things to the tank. I have a new ATL Pink Polyp Cap and a neon green birdsnest. I also added a couple of more ricordeas.

You ship the devil's hand leather to me :P

It's so pink! I love it though. Is that ATL as in Atlanta? I need a birdsnest. Yours look great :)

I am so jelly of your tank. I love your ric carpet on the left side. So pretty. :happy:

lol I'm jelly too!

I am loving it! But the weather is not agreeing with me, rainy, windy and in the 60's low of 51 tonight means the orchids need to come inside. I HATE moving them, their so heavy.

You're an orchid grower too?! I'm a newb at that hobby as well. I've had my first orchid for a little over a year now and it is reblooming! I am sooo happy about it. I feel victorious. Mine are medium sized phalaenopsis. What kind do you have that are so heavy?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're an orchid grower too?! I'm a newb at that hobby as well. I've had my first orchid for a little over a year now and it is reblooming! I am sooo happy about it. I feel victorious. Mine are medium sized phalaenopsis. What kind do you have that are so heavy?

I will post some pics. I have 4 more since the last time I took pictures so I have to get updated ones. I have no idea what kind they are!

311314_10150363061264029_659639028_8245542_1607989000_n.jpg

321554_10150363062259029_659639028_8245544_962357461_n.jpg

316173_10150363063399029_659639028_8245549_1090100386_n.jpg

Those are the big daddies I have had for 3+ years. The newest ones I got on Valentines day from my hubbie and they are already growing like weeds.

Geeze...I guess the rest of the country is still really cold :lol: Sometimes I feel like I'm in another world over here :lol:

It's still 76 degrees out. It's amazing!!!!!

Ethan.....ATL stands for Atlantis. Those orchids are so gorgeous. I remember the photos from before. Everything you touch turns to gold, Randi!!!! :happy:

surgicalsense
I will post some pics. I have 4 more since the last time I took pictures so I have to get updated ones. I have no idea what kind they are!

311314_10150363061264029_659639028_8245542_1607989000_n.jpg

321554_10150363062259029_659639028_8245544_962357461_n.jpg

316173_10150363063399029_659639028_8245549_1090100386_n.jpg

Those are the big daddies I have had for 3+ years. The newest ones I got on Valentines day from my hubbie and they are already growing like weeds.

Randi ... those are beautiful! I love them. I wish I could keep orchids.

Geeze...I guess the rest of the country is still really cold :lol: Sometimes I feel like I'm in another world over here :lol:

It's still 76 degrees out. It's amazing!!!!!

Ethan.....ATL stands for Atlantis. Those orchids are so gorgeous. I remember the photos from before. Everything you touch turns to gold, Randi!!!! :happy:

I wish the Cyano I touch would turn to gold! then I would be rich! Thanks though I am pretty Proud of them. Just regular Miracle Grow Moisture Control. They grow like freaks!

Randi ... those are beautiful! I love them. I wish I could keep orchids.

You can keep them inside! Their easy to grow and putting them in a windowsill or hanging them in front of one would work.

Bet you can after the move! ;)

hmmmm some where over the rainbow..

:huh:

Ethan.....ATL stands for Atlantis. Those orchids are so gorgeous.

Oh darn. Atlantis is cooler though lol.

Those are amazing orchids! Both of the flowering ones look like phalaenopsis. I bet they love that you live in Florida. They must be pretty old plants to have that many leaves. I've never seen any like that!

You can keep them inside! Their easy to grow and putting them in a windowsill or hanging them in front of one would work.

Bet you can after the move! ;)

Yeah! Just a bit of research and they aren't too hard. I don't have a good window in my house so I have mine on a shelf with a desk lamp and cheap plant light bulb from Home Depot on a timer. They seem to really like it. I have noticed that Kroger's orchids are good quality for the home. The one I got from IKEA must have been in a nice warm green house for a while cause when I brought it home it went into shock and lost a couple leaves and it's blooms. I'm sure I'll be able to get it to rebloom in the future though.

In attempts to keep this on track... Gena, I can't wait till my tank fills out like yours. I love how your pallys grow upwards towards the light. Almost look like a different coral than when you see them in flat mats.

Hello Gena :happy:

Helllooooo :happy:

Did you do anything fun over the weekend?

I love how your pallys grow upwards towards the light. Almost look like a different coral than when you see them in flat mats.

They do that for more light. They are surrounded by HA so they have to extend above it. I like the way it looks even if they are stretching for light :lol:

Ok...so tell me if I'm in trouble. Last night, right before going to bed, I glanced over at my FW and the temp was at 84!!!!!! I forgot to unplug the heater during the day. It was in the mid 80s. I turned it off last night and woke up to it at 77. Do you think I'll lose any plants from that? All fish and shrimp are alive. I'm looking into a temperature controller for it right now :)

We have 6 inches of snow right now :(

Luckily for the rest of the week it's suppose to be in the 50s, hello Spring!

Those orchids are really nice, I have never been able to keep house plants alive.

Gena your plants should be fine. All the plants you have are really hardy.

6" of snow does not sound pleasant. Though the forecast is good :)

Phew! Thank you! I was concerned this morning my plants would be melted. Everything looks just fine though.

surgicalsense

No, not really... I worked the whole weekend, but I am off today and Thursday. I will taking Ella to the vet in a few. One of her claws is growing weird, not causing her any discomfort. But, we want to handle it now instead just before we move.

How about you? Hope all is well. I will have another xenia for you. I finally caught a small stomella. I want to bring it over to asap today.

Phew! Thank you! I was concerned this morning my plants would be melted. Everything looks just fine though.

I don't think plants melt like coral ;) From my experience it takes a lot more to kill plants and they are slower to show effects of something bad, so you have more time to make changes and they will usually recover.

Oh darn. Atlantis is cooler though lol.

Those are amazing orchids! Both of the flowering ones look like phalaenopsis. I bet they love that you live in Florida. They must be pretty old plants to have that many leaves. I've never seen any like that!

Yeah! Just a bit of research and they aren't too hard. I don't have a good window in my house so I have mine on a shelf with a desk lamp and cheap plant light bulb from Home Depot on a timer. They seem to really like it. I have noticed that Kroger's orchids are good quality for the home. The one I got from IKEA must have been in a nice warm green house for a while cause when I brought it home it went into shock and lost a couple leaves and it's blooms. I'm sure I'll be able to get it to rebloom in the future though.

In attempts to keep this on track... Gena, I can't wait till my tank fills out like yours. I love how your pallys grow upwards towards the light. Almost look like a different coral than when you see them in flat mats.

Their not too old, some are 5-6 (the all white one) and the others are all about 4. So young orchids by some notes.

This one is not young though, this is my Dad's and hangs on a tree in his backyard. I have a clipping from this that is going nutz, but no flowers yet and it's been with me as long as the White and Purple one.

392005_10150452234169029_659639028_8576711_1704462673_n.jpg

I LOVE this Orchid, I am waiting and wishing for him to say he didn't want it anymore! I would hang it under the Mango tree! ;)

Gena more on topic here :P , I believe they will be fine, I have seen plants growing in the nastiest little buckets right in direct sunlight (horse buckets, some owner thought it would be smart to do that and fish, it's not) in a paddock and the fish and plants looked fine.

Gena more on topic here :P , I believe they will be fine, I have seen plants growing in the nastiest little buckets right in direct sunlight (horse buckets, some owner thought it would be smart to do that and fish, it's not) in a paddock and the fish and plants looked fine.

Wow...those orchids are amazing!!!!!!! I feel much better about my heat debacle yesterday. Still no signs of trouble so I think I'm in the clear. I was going to get a controller, but I think I'll hold off for now. They aren't cheap!!!!!

Can I call dibs on any corals you need to remove to make room for new ones? :D I am in love with your tank!

:happy:

I wish you were local to me. It would make it much easier!

I wish you were local to me. It would make it much easier!

With a heat pack I bet it would survive priority shipping to PA easy. It's supposed to be 50-60's in out neck of the woods this week.

Ethan.....ATL stands for Atlantis.

ATL is the name they use for corals aquacultured by Atlantis Aquarium in Union City, CA. Its just a brand name like Tyree. Atlantis Aquarium is actually where I normally buy my coral, so a bunch of my stuff is their aquacultured corals.

ATL is the name they use for corals aquacultured by Atlantis Aquarium in Union City, CA. Its just a brand name like Tyree. Atlantis Aquarium is actually where I normally buy my coral, so a bunch of my stuff is their aquacultured corals.

I knew it was a store's brand but didn't know it's here in California. Lucky duck :)

I'm on the hunt for an amazing baby pink and bright green mushroom. Just a regular old mushroom, nothing fancy. I saw one and wanted to buy it but it was tiny and would have been $60 with shipping....too ridiculous!!!!! It's a store in San Diego that sells online. I think I may have to talk the fam into a road trip to San Diego soon.

Felicia...do you ever see anything like that at Atlantis Aquarium? I'm going to talk to my LFS guy tomorrow and see if he can be on the lookout for something like that. I'm sure this San Diego store gets it from the same place my LFS guy gets his stuff...over at LAX.

I knew it was a store's brand but didn't know it's here in California. Lucky duck :)

Yep, that's why I have so many ATL corals like my lavender lace duncans and VDM palys.

Felicia...do you ever see anything like that at Atlantis Aquarium? I'm going to talk to my LFS guy tomorrow and see if he can be on the lookout for something like that. I'm sure this San Diego store gets it from the same place my LFS guy gets his stuff...over at LAX.

I don't think I've seen anything like that, but I'll keep my eye out for you. Atlantis doesn't seem to have the best stock of mushrooms unfortunately.

Ah that's cool. I think culturing corals is so great. Besides my first coral (the two rics) and the Petco yumas, all mine have come from local hobbyists' tanks.

Good afternoon, Mark :)

This morning I got a bug in my butt to rearrange things in my tank. I'm VERY happy with how it turned out. Now I just have to wait for things to settle and open back up so I can take pictures. I feel like I have a ton more room in my tank now :ninja:

I went to my LFS about an hour ago. I showed him a picture of the pink mushroom I'm looking for and he's going to be on the lookout for me. He's also going to find me some other cool and unusual mushrooms. Looking forward to seeing what he was able to find, this Thursday!!!!! :happydance:

Good afternoon, Mark :)

This morning I got a bug in my butt to rearrange things in my tank. I'm VERY happy with how it turned out. Now I just have to wait for things to settle and open back up so I can take pictures. I feel like I have a ton more room in my tank now :ninja:

I went to my LFS about an hour ago. I showed him a picture of the pink mushroom I'm looking for and he's going to be on the lookout for me. He's also going to find me some other cool and unusual mushrooms. Looking forward to seeing what he was able to find, this Thursday!!!!! :happydance:

Ohhhhh can't wait to see!! I rearranged too, but I'm not as happy as you. Still more changes to do :P But that's half the fun!

Glad you liked how yours ended up :)

Archived