Top Shelf Aquatics

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gena, beautiful vid!!! Who's tank is that? It looks huge!

Seriously, I should try and watch more vids like that, it sure does put things in perspective. Thanks again.

Gena, that reef video you posted is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope I get to see that much awesome stuff while I'm diving. I just need more time/money to travel :)

Meee tooo.

Gena, regarding your flow comment, I think that's a clever idea to look up diving videos to see the flow around certain corals. But I also think it's kind of hard to compare because the current will go several feet in one direction and several feet back. Sometimes it's slow and you barely notice, other times it's really strong and fast. I don't think we can create this type of flow in our tiny tanks, or even in the big ones really. I've watched videos of big tanks with wave makers and it's close, but not quite. So we just have to improvise. Did you notice how strong the current was in Bali? Crazy.

Speaking of strong current, one time I did a manta ray night dive in Hawaii. The current was so strong. We were supposed to sit at the bottom and wait but even with a big rock in my lap, that was not going to happen. There were several dive boats so 40-60 people were all moving 6 feet in one direction and 6 feet back. Not to mention all the flailing newbies and dodging the long spine urchins. I was laughing so hard I could barely keep my mask clear. And one manta came. It was probably laughing too. </story time>

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the video :happy:

Ethan...thank you for sharing your diving experiences, regarding the flow! I guess we can liken it to the air currents we experience on land. Every now and then you get a gust of wind. Some days you have a moderate breeze. Some days are calm. That makes perfect sense!!!!! Now I'm thinking of picking up a koralia nano and seeing if I can put it on a timer to go off periodically.

They need a calmer version of the vortech. Even the mp10 on lowest mode is too strong for my tank. I need the pico version of it :)

Mike..thanks for the video link!!!! I think those are the most colorful coral I've ever seen :happy:

Speaking of strong current, one time I did a manta ray night dive in Hawaii. The current was so strong. We were supposed to sit at the bottom and wait but even with a big rock in my lap, that was not going to happen. There were several dive boats so 40-60 people were all moving 6 feet in one direction and 6 feet back. Not to mention all the flailing newbies and dodging the long spine urchins. I was laughing so hard I could barely keep my mask clear. And one manta came. It was probably laughing too. </story time>

So funny! That's how it goes when you snorkel as well, trying to swim at the bottom while doing a breath hold and getting smacked around is kind of fun. :P

Happy Friday ladies! :D This will be my first REAL weekend off in over 1 year! I am so essited!

Your tank is my inspiration! I only hope mine will look that great in a year! :D

Thank you for the very kind words :happy:

So funny! That's how it goes when you snorkel as well, trying to swim at the bottom while doing a breath hold and getting smacked around is kind of fun. :P

Happy Friday ladies! :D This will be my first REAL weekend off in over 1 year! I am so essited!

Happy Friday to you!!!! Enjoy your first real weekend off :happy:

_______

So I mentioned that my salt mix was out of wack on the alkalinity and that Chris Brightwell was sending me a new bucket to make up for the problem. I received the new salt 3 days ago but had not opened the box yet. Big HEAVY box. It was exactly the size of a bucket of salt so I didn't see the need to rush to opening it :lol:

WELL.....I just opened it now cuz I needed to move the box to vacuum. What a surprise. It wasn't a bucket. It was 4/50 gallon bags of salt (200g total as opposed to the 150 gallon bucket) PLUS a big container of PURIT (chemical filtration media) and a big bottle of MicroBacter7. I'll definitely use the PURIT. Not sure on the MB7...but I couldn't be happier with the customer service. A great company for sure :)

Totally awesome of them! ;)

I know!!!!! I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Everything was hidden by popcorn packing so it was exciting to keep pulling things out :lol: I didn't know what I'd find next :lol:

I think this thread needs some new pics :)

Also - I like your freshie shrimp pics from a few pages back! My 10g tank that I have now used to be a freshie planted with green fire tetras and cherry shrimp. Tried my hand at pygmy cories but I couldn't keep them alive :( I really enjoyed my planted tanks! They're fun and low maintenance! Well... As long as you don't get into C02 and all that. Then it gets more complicated <_<

What kind of plants do you have in there?

Thanks, Paigee!!!! Pics. you shall have :happy: The plants I have in the FW are dwarf anubias, Christmas moss, crypt parva, and two others I can't remember off the top of my head :lol: I'll have to look those up.

Did my water change today. Things are looking good. I did end up adding a koralia nano to the tank. It's on the right side behind the devil's hand leather. Which, by the way, I'm thinking about removing. Just have to figure out what to replace it with. It takes up a lot of space and it will have to go eventually to make space for my growing monti caps.

I added a couple new things to the tank. I have a new ATL Pink Polyp Cap and a neon green birdsnest. I also added a couple of more ricordeas.

FTS 3-04-12

fts3-4-12.jpg

montibird.jpg

I am so jelly of your tank. I love your ric carpet on the left side. So pretty. :happy:

Thanks, Randi!!!!! Hope you've been enjoying your first "real" weekend off!!!!! The weather here has been perfect!!!! It's been in the 80s. It's just beautiful. We've been spending a lot of time outdoors :)

Thanks, Randi!!!!! Hope you've been enjoying your first "real" weekend off!!!!! The weather here has been perfect!!!! It's been in the 80s. It's just beautiful. We've been spending a lot of time outdoors :)

It snowed here. Not enough to stick though.

I am loving it! But the weather is not agreeing with me, rainy, windy and in the 60's low of 51 tonight means the orchids need to come inside. I HATE moving them, their so heavy. Just means I got a chance to really CLEAN the glass and tank etc.

Did a WC, cleaned the whole canister out, hand scraped the glass in the front for better viewing etc. Oh and cleaned the skimmer cup so I have some micro-bubbles for now. Probably have pics and a video tomorrow.

Can't wait to have my tank fill in like yours!

Archived