Coral Vue Hydros

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Puddle jumpers to Europe. Atlantic Ocean = The Pond.

Sweet. I love me some Red Bull. Congrats.

Ethan knows about the pond ;). Glad you enjoy the drink. RedBull Absolute Zero(carb/Cal/sugar) is coming out in march. Keep drinking man!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably doesn't make a difference, but I use Red Sea Pro salt. I think it starts with a higher Ca, Mg and Alk levels. I'm sure Brad will know :)

That's so funny. Fish store, sushi, and sake. That's usually what I do! Have you guys ever tried Kabuki during Happy Hour? Cheap prices on rolls!

I've been to Kabuki once but not during happy hour. That's good to know! Our favorite places so far are Kuru Kuru and Emon....both are in Burbank. We see Fritz Coleman in Emon all the time.:lol: We also ate there once when Jennifer Love Hewitt was in. I have a funny story with that one...might have already told it here though. She spilled her soda all over the place but refused to let the waitress clean it up. She was down on all fours cleaning up the mess because "my mother would be so ashamed if I didn't clean this mess up myself"...or something like that.

She's much cuter in person...btw. It's amazing how different celebrities look in person. Probably why I don't recognize them most of the time!!!!!

Has your algae been receeding? If so and your still feeding. More then likely yes the grates are from algae die off. However. That may be the natural level of your tank and its filtration capacities.. which is fine. Remember you aren't dropping other elements in such as silicates and that 10ppm of nitrates every water change now so you aren't promoting algae growth..

Yes...it's definitely receding! I actually hope it's the natural levels of my tank because you do want some nitrate. I do have mostly softies which appreciate that very much :)

We do the same thing. In fact, the new rule is kids' tv watching only happens after 7:00 and with the family. We often get into the reality food shows like Chopped -- of course, you run the danger of turning your kids into mouthy gourmets! My son regularly takes apart the food on everything from flavor and texture to plating. It's hilarious to hear him say "Wow, Dad, really nice presentation on that plate!". We also watch a lot of science-y and history type shows like Mythbusters, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, and American Restoration. Generally, these are very kid-safe, educational, fun, and avoid the constant innuendo or blatant sex talk in most of the sitcoms we watch (2 Broke Girls and Whitney are new ones that totally crack me up!). We did AFV for a while -- and Wipeout or Ninja Warrior, too. Those are really fun. When "Who do you think you are" is on (as it is now), we often watch that together. It's such an interesting show, and since my husband is Jewish and his family has been very nearly secretive about their history, he's really into figuring out where his relatives come from. I know on my mother's side about 6 generations back, so don't feel compelled to go onto Ancestry.com, but he's really into it.

We have a lot in common msscha! Your son's quote to his dad cracks me up :lol:

We are enjoying Quantum Leap a lot but surprisingly it does have quite a bit of sex talk in it. My son now knows what a "virgin" is :rolleyes: Luckily it's not every episode. Even The Wonder Years (which he loved)...we skipped over the episode where Paul loses his virginity.

It probably doesn't make a difference, but I use Red Sea Pro salt. I think it starts with a higher Ca, Mg and Alk levels. I'm sure Brad will know :)

I used Red Sea Pro salt before and liked it a lot. I only switched to this neo-marine because it had good reviews and I liked the packaging....:lol:omgomgomg

Maybe when this bucket is down I'll switch back to Red Sea. I'm going to test the levels of my new batch of SW today just to see what it's coming out at.

_________

Ok...it's official. My open brain coral is officially hosting my clown!!!!!! I hope it doesn't get too upset about it!!!!! My clown is rubbing all over the thing :lol: She slept in her usual corner last night though so it's not true love yet ;)

Ok...it's official. My open brain coral is officially hosting my clown!!!!!! I hope it doesn't get too upset about it!!!!! My clown is rubbing all over the thing :lol: She slept in her usual corner last night though so it's not true love yet ;)

This is going to be awesome as long as the brain stays happy! So jealous your clown is hosting! :D

I think June (my orange clown) has been checking out the frogspawn because she's got the black spots they get when a coral is stinging them, but I haven't actually seen her in it yet. And Johnny shows no interest and tends to spend most of his time on the other side of the tank. They only act like a pair every once in a while.

J Love Hewitt is so down to earth. Hearing that just made me have an even bigger celebrity crush on her. Lol. Great news about your brain and clown!!! More pics of that or maybe even a video! :)

J Love Hewitt is so down to earth. Hearing that just made me have an even bigger celebrity crush on her. Lol. Great news about your brain and clown!!! More pics of that or maybe even a video! :)

She is actually. A family friend of ours works at Albertson's, and has for like 30 years. He's know JLH since she was a little girl shopping in the store with her mother. He still talks to JLH whenever she comes into the store. She's a sweet girl. My son trick or treated at her house. She was handing out the candy to the kids.

Have you seen her around? We seem to always be running into her here and there. I think the last time we saw her was at Baja Fresh on Riverside Dr. Not sure if that's still considered Toluca Lake or if it's NoHo over there.

I'll try to get a video later today. She's back in her corner now, but when she comes out to the front she's going straight to the brain. She gives it kisses and rubs :lol:

This is going to be awesome as long as the brain stays happy! So jealous your clown is hosting! :D

I think June (my orange clown) has been checking out the frogspawn because she's got the black spots they get when a coral is stinging them, but I haven't actually seen her in it yet. And Johnny shows no interest and tends to spend most of his time on the other side of the tank. They only act like a pair every once in a while.

My old clowns got the black spots like that. I can't tell with my b/w clown :lol:

Ok.....

Did my water test.

pH: 7.9 (lights came on at 8:30am)

Alk: 7.5

Ca: 460

I didn't test magnesium. I added 2 drops iodide and 1 drop strontium.

Debating on doing a water change today. I think I'll wait though for my typical Sunday WC.

The really mad palys are looking better today.

Weird coincidence, or not really???? My cyano was almost non-existant today!!!!!!! I think the low Alk may have played a role. Is that even possible?????

Awesome! My cyano is coming back for revenge :tears:

I know you are like me, and don't test water, but see what your alk is sitting at! I was shocked about mine!

I think as long as you aren't dosing anything, there isn't quite the need to test. Unless something looks stressed, of course. My palys/zoas have been mad for several weeks. I'm doing 2 water changes a week. It didn't cross my mind that any parameter could be out of whack. Dumb me didn't realize my dosing magnesium was messing with my Ca and Alk. duh! :slap:

Your clownfish is so cute! Glad he's hosting finally. mine can't make up their mind where they want to live so they are shopping around.

She's not quite settled in with the brain coral. But she's definitely testing the waters. I thought for sure, this morning, she'd be in it all day long. But, once again she spent most of the day in her usual corner. I can't even see what, if anything, she's sitting in back there.

I just realized, I'm calling her a she. I always referred to her as a him in the past. I guess by now she's probably a she though. That sounds so confusing :lol:

Classic, I say the same thing haha

Always! I haven't tested since I did the week long testing to see what my params ran at with a 5 gallon change once a week. I should test tomorrow before the WC or Sunday before I get the frags from Tron.....

She's not quite settled in with the brain coral. But she's definitely testing the waters. I thought for sure, this morning, she'd be in it all day long. But, once again she spent most of the day in her usual corner. I can't even see what, if anything, she's sitting in back there.

I just realized, I'm calling her a she. I always referred to her as a him in the past. I guess by now she's probably a she though. That sounds so confusing :lol:

How can that not be confusing! :lol:

surgicalsense

So is your clown a girlie? Well that is awesome about the hosting. I wonder if my clowns will ever host anything without doing the picture trick :P

So is your clown a girlie? Well that is awesome about the hosting. I wonder if my clowns will ever host anything without doing the picture trick :P

I think they naturally become females if they are on their own. I could be wrong though. Today she gave the brain some "kisses" but not like the other two mornings. I guess I can't quite celebrate yet :lol:

It's probably better she leaves it alone actually. Darn fish has several different colonies of kenya tree to choose from, plus a big devils hand leather and a quickly growing toadstool. I much prefer she live in a softy as opposed to the LPS.

I'll check it tomorrow :tears:

1/2 unit chem-pure elite cleared my cyano in about 3 weeks. I could see a difference within a couple of days, then each day after, there was a little less, until the only cyano left now is in the sandbed itself. I have a bc14, so only need the 1/2 unit. It was worth the $11! Personally, I was relieved it wasn't a huge overnight change. I think that would've freaked me out some.

Archived