• SoCal

NANO-CUBE 12DX

4/8/12
Posted Image

Specs

Tank
Nano-Cube 12DX

Lighting
2X Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 12K White/445nm Blue (pg. 16 for pics.) 1 Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 445nm/Magenta

Filtration
InTank media basket
Filter floss first compartment of basket
Chaeto at bottom with JBJ Nano-Glo 4-LED Magnetic Refugium Light
Chemi-pure elite in NC12 3rd chamber

Heater
Eheim Jager TruTemp 50 Watt Fully Submersible UL Approved Heater

Controller
Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite Controller Level 1

Rock and Sand
approximately 14 pounds Marco dry rock
CaribSea Dry Aragonite Fiji Pink Reef Sand 15 lb (didn't use entire bag)

Livestock

Fish
1 B/W Ocellaris Clownfish
2 Green Banded Gobies

Cleanup crew
2 blue leg hermits
2 nano serpent stars (from sealifeinc.net)
assortment of snails (2 nass, nerite, cerith, etc)

Inverts
2 Skunk cleaner shrimp
2 pompom crab

Coral

Softies
Green star polyps
pink cabbage leather
Kenya tree
clove polyps
blue star polyps
yellow star polyps
blue, red, watermelon, superman, spotted, rhodactis, st. thomas mushrooms
neon green toadstool
regular toadstool
Asst. ricordeas

Zoas and Palys
Nuclear green
Purple death
green palys
palythoa grandis
tubbs blue zoanthids
armor of god paly
pink zoanthids
Sunny Delight
Magician Palythoa

LPS
Pink and Green open brain

SPS
Magenta birdsnest (pink with purple polyps)
Meteor Shower Cyphestrea
Purple rim Green Monticap
ATL pink polyp monticap
Neon green birdsnest

Maintenance Routine
2.5 gallon water changes twice per week
every other day glass cleaning with mag cleaner
top off 1-2x per day
Feed 1x per day

Edited by gena, 20 September 2012 - 07:09 PM.

ednangel

ednangel

• Members
  • 1,203 posts
  • Joined 05 Jul 2009
  • SF Bay area, CA
Welcome back, i know, there is no methadone for this adiction.
Posted Image

What, am I a Postmaster Psychic now??
You'll get it when your Postman drops it off at your door!

The earth will always change. We have this human centric view that everything the way it is now is how it's always been and how it's always going to be.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
Tank started 2/8/11. I knew I wanted to go small and all-in-one. I had a Biocube 14 in the past and sold it, so I couldn't bring myself to buy another one, brand new. I decided to try out the Nano-Cube instead. The dimensions of the NC fit better in the space I was planning to put it as well. Looking forward to stocking this with "easy" coral. Leathers, mushrooms, zoas, polyps, and possibly the most "difficult" addition will be an open brain coral or plate coral.

Fish plans: One percula clownfish, one tailspot blenny, and a goby/pistol combination.

Right now the tank is all stock. I've added an InTank media basket. I will have chaeto growing at the bottom of the basket. Bought a JbJ nano-glo LED light for the refugium.

I used aragonite fiji pink sand and dry marco rock. I seeded the tank with one piece of half-cured live rock from my LFS. Started the cycle with a cocktail shrimp. I'm two weeks into a very strong cycle. Ammonia is no longer detectable. Nitrites are off the chart. Will test again this Friday 2/25.

Leak test:

Posted Image

Rock and sand in place:

Posted Image

Water added:

Posted Image

Where I'm at right now:

Posted Image

Now I'm just sitting and waiting for the cycle to complete. I'm enjoying visiting the reef sites to get ideas for how I want to design the coral placement in this tank. My goal is to have a VERY grown in reef tank. I did the little frag plugs here there and everywhere and I'm done with that look. I really want a natural looking reef, well maintained, with a laid back attitude :)

Welcome back, i know, there is no methadone for this adiction.

Edited by gena, 16 March 2011 - 09:56 PM.

latteslave

latteslave

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Joined 06 Mar 2009
  • Oxnard, Ca
Looks like a good setup. Really like how the rock turn out!

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

Looks like a good setup. Really like how the rock turn out!

Thanks! That's the main reason I went with the dry rock. So I could arrange the rock at my leisure! No worrying about live rock sitting out of the water too long. I was able to take my time and get just the right fit. Course, I have to wait a longer time for the tank to cycle. But, that's ok.

bps7772000

bps7772000

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Joined 01 May 2009
  • Woodbridge, VA
Nice rock sculpt. That is a giant MagFloat :) har har.
"Thank you, Mr. Willy. Thank you. You've made my day."

My C.A.D. 12 Gallon "official" thread

720P video of my tank
http://s629.photobuc...reef2-18-11.mp4

Cam barr

Cam barr

GnArLy ReefeR

• Validating
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 21 Mar 2002
  • Irvine, SoCal
nice!!

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

Nice rock sculpt. That is a giant MagFloat :) har har.

har har is right :) I'm waiting patiently for the nimble nanos to come back into production. Supposed to be any day now!

nice!!

thank you :)

Rain24

Rain24

What's in the water? Yup...coral.

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2010
There's your thread! I really do like those Marco rocks. If I didn't go all live, Marco was my other option. And I like that it's on your desk. I wish mine was closer. I need to find a way to work near the tank. :lol:

Looking good so far. How often are you testing?

Reef Rain - A Cube's Life - meet Meg and Ruby!
Still an island girl at heart.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

There's your thread! I really do like those Marco rocks. If I didn't go all live, Marco was my other option. And I like that it's on your desk. I wish mine was closer. I need to find a way to work near the tank. :lol:

Looking good so far. How often are you testing?

Thanks! I'm testing once a week. It's a slow cycle. I'll have the next results this Friday.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
Posted Image

I decided to add my mp10 to this tank. So far I have it dialed all the way down to avoid a sandstorm. Over time I hope to be able to bring the flow up. I also added the surface skimmer. Makes a world of difference. No oil slick at the surface!

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

its been swell, but the swellings gone.

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27 Nov 2007
  • ηφя сαł
yay gena!

i knew you couldnt stay away long. :D im totally diggin the 'scape, i like the depth of field it creates.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

yay gena!

i knew you couldnt stay away long. :D im totally diggin the 'scape, i like the depth of field it creates.

Thanks, squirrel! I really, truly, honestly thought I could do it. Wait a year...just a year!!!!! OMG!!!!! It's unbelievable...the power this hobby has over me....LOL :wacko:

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Been pimpin since been pimpin!

• Members
  • 8,307 posts
  • Joined 18 Aug 2007
  • Corpus Crusty, TX
I love the look of the dry rock in there, is that live sand your using to start up the cycle.
The 75g CLAM JAM! Jam out with your clam out!
http://www.nano-reef...30#entry4449048

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

I love the look of the dry rock in there, is that live sand your using to start up the cycle.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the rock. I hope eventually you won't even see it because it will be covered with coral! No live sand. I purchased a small piece of live rock to seed and added a cocktail shrimp. The cycle is definitely underway.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
I think my cycle is done. But I'm confused by the findings! Here's the readings I've had over the past 16 days:

2/11: Ammonia .5-1.0, Nitrite: .25-.50, Nitrate: 5-10

2/13: Ammonia .5, Nitrite: 5.0+, Nitrate: 20

2/18: Ammonia 0-.25, Nitrite: 5.0+, Nitrate: 20-40

2/24: Ammonia 0 (maybe a little above), Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 0-5.0

I was plannning to test tomorrow (week in between) but was curious today, so. I've not had any diatom bloom yet...but I haven't been running lights at all. Does lighting making a difference as to having a diatom bloom or not? Maybe I'll keep the lights running from now on.

I think I'm cycled, but don't know. Any ideas? Here's a picture of today's test results:

Posted Image

I retested the ammonia because I waited more than 5 minutes past the done time when the picture was snapped above. It's definitely reading 0 for ammonia at the 5 minute mark. I guess my biggest confusion is that there are no diatoms (possibly from no light) and the nitrate dropped when I haven't done anything. No water changes at all.

Edited by gena, 24 February 2011 - 09:49 AM.

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27 Nov 2007
  • ηφя сαł
looks like your on the right track, but i might give it a few days to a week and then retest just to make sure those readings are stable/accurate.

i would say the lack of light has something to do with no algae, if it were me id turn it on and let it run through its normal photo period. i cant come up with a good reason for your parameter question though.

reefing is definitely like some sort of sickness... lulz.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

looks like your on the right track, but i might give it a few days to a week and then retest just to make sure those readings are stable/accurate.

i would say the lack of light has something to do with no algae, if it were me id turn it on and let it run through its normal photo period. i cant come up with a good reason for your parameter question though.

reefing is definitely like some sort of sickness... lulz.

I think that's a good suggestion. I might pick up some chaeto for the fuge, just to keep things in check while I'm running a normal light cycle. Thanks for the advice!!!!!

dhraakoxr

dhraakoxr

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 18 Mar 2009
Sweet setup man! Good luck!
DIY LED JBJ NC28: JBJ28

Posted Image

Rain24

Rain24

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2010
Nice testing pic. My first one looked almost exactly like your results!

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
I picked up some chaeto today. The fuge is up and running. Got some critters included with the chaeto as well. Found a bristleworm and some nice big pods (the ones that look like fleas). That's the one thing I really miss with using dry rock...no critters.

Rain24

Rain24

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2010
I hear you on the no critters thing. I've found a few things on mine, but I keep wishing for more. Maybe I should have gone uncured. I was too chicken though. I didn't want to end up with things I had no idea how to get rid of. :lol:

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
Parameters have been holding steady even with adding fish pellets for the bacteria. I added my first few frags of coral. Got a devil's hand leather, yellow star polyps, red mushrooms, radioactive dragon eye zoas w/a couple of eagle eyes, and a bicolor frogspawn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27 Nov 2007
  • ηφя сαł
hooray!

finally huh? lookin great gena. love where your going with it.

did you catch my reply about the red mushies? if not, be careful how close you place them to lps, ive lost/damaged a number of frags with mine. though your morph may be less aggressive. yours seem much more red than mine.

'grats hun! cant wait to see how it matures, your 10g was fantastic. so i can only imagine how great this is gonna turn out. you really seem to have an eye for coral placement.

:happy:

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,141 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

hooray!

finally huh? lookin great gena. love where your going with it.

did you catch my reply about the red mushies? if not, be careful how close you place them to lps, ive lost/damaged a number of frags with mine. though your morph may be less aggressive. yours seem much more red than mine.

'grats hun! cant wait to see how it matures, your 10g was fantastic. so i can only imagine how great this is gonna turn out. you really seem to have an eye for coral placement.

:happy:

awe...thanks squirrel :) I'm looking forward to just sitting back and watching it mature. Like I said before...I'm taking the laid back approach. Easy coral, easy routine. I did see your comment about the red mushrooms. I will keep that great information in the back of my mind during future coral placement!!!!!

Edited by gena, 01 March 2011 - 03:28 PM.