Top Shelf Aquatics

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

[Dumb me, I was doing a test on the Calcium yesterday and I accidently tipped my test vial, which subsequently made me tip over my big bottle of test regent :angry: That's not the first time that's happened either :lol:

Those darn salifert test kits are NOT cheap. I hate being a klutz :lol:

I have done this before as well! In order to prevent this, I ususally take a shot or two of Patron. I know you don't drink, but maybe you should reconsider.

Seriously, have you got things under control yet?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have done this before as well! In order to prevent this, I ususally take a shot or two of Patron. I know you don't drink, but maybe you should reconsider.

Seriously, have you got things under control yet?

I'm so glad I have you to make me laugh on here :lol: I like surrounding myself with funny people :happy:

I think I have things under control!!!! But I still have nuissance algae :mellow:

My tank has never looked better though so that's one more thing to be happy about :happy:

Psh That's almost two days pay for me and my measly college-education-required job.

I would buy it if I was rich and had a bigger tank :lol:

It sure is pretty :happy:

In other news...I have another video of my clownfish in the brain coral. She's been more aggressive with it today and has spent the whole day in or around it. The brain has stayed inflated so fingers crossed that it remains happy!!!!!

Dumb me, I was doing a test on the Calcium yesterday and I accidently tipped my test vial, which subsequently made me tip over my big bottle of test regent :angry: That's not the first time that's happened either :lol:

Those darn salifert test kits are NOT cheap. I hate being a klutz :lol:

That's not too bad... about a month ago, I was soaking fish food with garlic in a small measuring cup. 20 minutes later, just before feeding, I accidentally tip it around my tank and on to my floor and table. My tank is in my bedroom, so my room smelled like garlic/fishy for a good week. :lol:

I think I'll hang onto the bucket. I just need to add buffer and it works absolutely fine as far as I can tell. Plus, I don't really have room for more frags accept maybe another paly :wub:

I'll have to go back and watch the video at the 30 second mark. I think I might know what you are talking about though...where she does a sweep of the tail sort of shimmy thing?

Yep...the brain doesn't seem to mind at all...yay!!!!

I bet that was quite an unpleasant smelling week, dfcn07!!!!!

In other news....I'm going to see if my LFS has the LED light fixture for my planted tank, today!!!! Looking forward to that :happy: My crypt parva is sprouting new leaves away from the main colonies which is VERY exciting to me...yippeeeee!!!!!

The reef looks awesome still. I still can't get over what a difference it makes to have your alk at the right level :lol:

LED fixture! :happydance: You'll have to post pictures of it as soon as you get it installed!

Your clown hosting the open brain is too cool and its so exciting that the open brain doesn't seem to mind. Your tank is just so awesome lately :D

I picked up the LED fixture. Woah...what a difference. My cory cat freaked out when I turned it on. It's taking some getting used to the color. I went from 6500K to 10,000K. I've done some research and it seems the color shouldn't make a lot of difference in my plant growth. If anything, it needs to slow down :lol:

I'm the worst plant trimmer in the world. How the heck to you trim moss without the bits getting everywhere????? I uber failed at that. You can't even tell I trimmed it....but I did :lol:

Here's some pictures with the new light, plus some reef shots. I did a photo shoot of the new couple (clown and brain). Hope you all enjoy them :happy:

fts2-21-12fw2.jpg

fts2-21-12fw.jpg

clownbrain.jpg

clownbrain2.jpg

clownbrain3.jpg

FTS 2-21-12

fts2-21-12.jpg

Thanks, Felicia! The light fixture is very thin and sleek looking. I'm pretty happy with it. I just hope it lasts a while. It's made in China :lol:

The aquastyle LED kit I have came from China and everyone who has had it long term says its still working great. I don't think that you have to worry as much about things from China anymore.

The aquastyle LED kit I have came from China and everyone who has had it long term says its still working great. I don't think that you have to worry as much about things from China anymore.

Oh that's good to know. I was a little concerned about it. It was only $40 so not that big a deal if it goes out...I hope to get a year out of it though..minimum. Of course I expect more from it than that :happy:

Oh that's good to know. I was a little concerned about it. It was only $40 so not that big a deal if it goes out...I hope to get a year out of it though..minimum. Of course I expect more from it than that :happy:

I bet it will make it at least a couple years. A lot of people have been using different kinds of LEDs from China lately and the quality seems to be really good for most of them.

Your freshwater tank made me so jealous that I almost bought an eco-pico this weekend to set up as a freshwater tank "for my mother". Thankfully, I managed to remember that I have a dog and two tanks already - and my mother doesn't want a tank. I'll just have to live my planted tank fantasies vicariously through you. :huh:

I used to grab what I wanted gone and then cut right below my grab and that way your holding most of the cut pieces.

Looks great! They are both so pretty! That grassy moss is really taking over the tank! I love how pink your SW is as well, all the pink corals so pretty and feminine. :happy:

Looks beautiful! :)

Thanks, Joel :happy:

Your pictures are so nice :) The freshwater tank seems to really be coming along. Have you seen any signs of baby shrimp yet?

Thanks, Hravanii!!!!! It's really taking off for sure! I haven't seen any baby shrimp yet. I look for them every day too :happy:

I have two bright red and two brown so hopefully I have at least one male and one female!!!!

Your freshwater tank made me so jealous that I almost bought an eco-pico this weekend to set up as a freshwater tank "for my mother". Thankfully, I managed to remember that I have a dog and two tanks already - and my mother doesn't want a tank. I'll just have to live my planted tank fantasies vicariously through you. :huh:

As much as I love my saltwater reef tank....this little fw tank is definitely a close second!!!!!! It's so fun to watch and so EASY to care for. I really don't have to do much with it at all...a nice change of pace :) My husband still tries to convince me to shut down the reef and just run the FW planted tank :rolleyes:

I used to grab what I wanted gone and then cut right below my grab and that way your holding most of the cut pieces.

Looks great! They are both so pretty! That grassy moss is really taking over the tank! I love how pink your SW is as well, all the pink corals so pretty and feminine. :happy:

Thanks, Randi!!!!! I sort of tried that but I could have done a much better job of it. I hate having hands in the tank as it is so I was trying to do it all one handed.

D said to me one day...."do you think you have so much pink in that tank because you are a girl and subconciously made those choices?" :lol: Perhaps...but a lot of softies are pink too. I'm really happy with the colors I've chosen :)

Something that I just noticed that might help you, instead of replying individually to each post, click "quote" on all you want to reply to and then click "add reply." :)

Something that I just noticed that might help you, instead of replying individually to each post, click "quote" on all you want to reply to and then click "add reply." :)

Wow...I didn't know that :lol: I'll try that next time...thanks!

Archived