ReefCleaners.org

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Oh geesh, I also dealt with Dr, medics, and blah blah ... those are the nurses call all the men daddy. Specially the fire flies.

Sorry to trash your thread Ms Gena!!!

I had way too much fun in my younger years, single, it was like being a straight dancer in a ballet company, if you know what I mean. Haha, lol.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That 6 tds could be anything - however there are a few things we can eliminate.

*Heavy metals(you'd see problems with your livestock such as lessions around mouth, gills, anus. Or with copper/zinc a problem with inverts such as exoskeleton melting/pitting or just plain dying)

*Dirt/dust(usually in the 20+ micron range so to big to pass through ro membrane or pre-sediment filter)

Which leaves:

*Carbon based life form die off from uv sterilization (this in essence will be like carbon dosing on a small scale, which could be bad if your not running a skimmer, however it will increase your bacteria/microfauna population slightly)

*Nitrogen based compounds(ammonia, nitrites, nitrates - any of these are bad, nitrates are the most common)

*Phosphorus(increased algae growth - unremoved biproduct from waste in water treatment facilities, could also come from carbon life form die off from the uv sterilization)

*Silicates(increased algae growth - comes from water treatment facilities that use a form of fiberglass filtration)

*Other trace elements - which have little to no effect on growth of carbon based life forms as most of the elements that effect organic matter were removed by the micron or ro membrane

If you get a phosphate test kit - get a high resolution low range kit such as salifert/redsea(measures in the 0-2ppm range) vs cheaper kits that measure 0-5 or 0-10ppm, which doesn't tell you much at all because anything lower then 0.25 doesn't show up as anything

You are full of wisdom and so much information....THANK YOU!!!!! From the bottom of my heart :flower:

When I test for phosphates, am I testing new saltwater or the straight RO water? Will the salifert check both SW and FW? I bet it's phosphates and nitrates in there. My new mixed saltwater always shows nitrates, but under 10. Hmmmmm....the culprit? I never thought much about it because I figured the salt mix was the reason for that. But maybe not?

I check out your thread everytime I'm on here cause its lovely. BTW, I'm old enough to be yer daddy!

I <3 you :)

Don't be too sure there big daddy! Didn't you say you are 52? Can boys conceive at 12? :lol: My gosh, I hope not...I HAVE a 12 year old!!!!!

Haha I was...at 12....

Test nitrates and phosphates on the freshwater, it tests both ways. New mixed salt water shows nitrates? That's more then likely your culprit. Salt has phosphates in it, but shouldn't have nitrates. Before you buy a test kit, test your fresh water for nitrates.

hawkgonereefin

Gena, First post here! Been a reefer off and on for 7-8 years now. Been recently getting back into the swing of things. Stumbled upon Nano-Reef looking for answers and suggestions and have been blown away by the amount of knowledge and dedication people have for the nano tank. Neways have read many threads on here over the last few weeks but I must say I have enjoyed your tank and thread the most. It has definitly inspired me into getting my tank set back up. The simplicity and the dedication you show in maintaing your nano tank make it what it is........ Awesome! Hopefully in the next week or so I can get my own thread going as Iam offically hooked on nano-reef now! Keep up the good work and look forward into seeing the progress of your tank!

Haha I was...at 12....

Test nitrates and phosphates on the freshwater, it tests both ways. New mixed salt water shows nitrates? That's more then likely your culprit. Salt has phosphates in it, but shouldn't have nitrates. Before you buy a test kit, test your fresh water for nitrates.

Oh god....I don't want to hear that omgomgomg

I have fresh saltwater that I just mixed up last night. I'm gonna test it now. Results in a few.....

Gena, First post here! Been a reefer off and on for 7-8 years now. Been recently getting back into the swing of things. Stumbled upon Nano-Reef looking for answers and suggestions and have been blown away by the amount of knowledge and dedication people have for the nano tank. Neways have read many threads on here over the last few weeks but I must say I have enjoyed your tank and thread the most. It has definitly inspired me into getting my tank set back up. The simplicity and the dedication you show in maintaing your nano tank make it what it is........ Awesome! Hopefully in the next week or so I can get my own thread going as Iam offically hooked on nano-reef now! Keep up the good work and look forward into seeing the progress of your tank!

Oh wow, thank you so much!!!! What an honor for me to read this. I love this hobby so much :happy:

Oh and welcome to n-r!!!!! I hope you stick around for a long time. There are so many wonderful people here. I've been hanging around here since 2002 (mostly lurking here and active on the "other" site)!!!!! Funny thing...I found my original log notebook this morning filled with tank stats, receipts, and all sorts of information from my very first tank I set up in April of 2002. It was fun to look back through it. I guess I was running my tank temp at 85 degrees!!!!! Funny. I had a little note in the book that said "ideal reef tank temp 80-85 degrees :)

Be sure to start your own reef thread when you can!!!!

Do you have any "fresh water" aka no salt you can test?

I do, but I only have my SW nitrate test. Will that work on FW? If not, I'll pick one up today.

Yea it'll work, only two test that won't work/need diff color cards for fresh/salt are amonia and phosphates

And I'm just kidding about the 12 thing haha I was the smart kid that god made fun of and was "innocent' til I was 18 lol

hawkgonereefin

Definitly will be creating my own thread. Waiting on my new lights to arrive any day now! Winter storm is coming though so hopefully nothing gets delayed too long!

Yea it'll work, only two test that won't work/need diff color cards for fresh/salt are amonia and phosphates

And I'm just kidding about the 12 thing haha I was the smart kid that god made fun of and was "innocent' til I was 18 lol

Test results are in. I tested my FW and it's between 5-10 nitrates...looks closer to 10 if not exactly. It's so hard to tell.

So....I need to do something about my water, obviously. Urgh!!!!!! I'll look further into the DI from marine depot. In the meantime....I'll be spending the big bucks on distilled.

Oh...and big sigh of relief here. I'm not ready for that. My kid will be like you. He's a smarty and a "good" boy :)

Definitly will be creating my own thread. Waiting on my new lights to arrive any day now! Winter storm is coming though so hopefully nothing gets delayed too long!

I used to love winter storm warnings...so exciting! Actually, I used to dread them when I worked, but after I became a stay-at-home mom, I loved them :)

I'll look forward to your thread. Let me know when it's going, in case I miss it. What kind of lights are you getting and what tank do you have, btw?

Haha. I heard that "phew" of releif on the east coast gena haha jk. And yea your nitrates are that high I wouldn't even worry about the phosphates kit...grab some distilled and do a 50% change and another a few days later, I bet if you manually remove most of the gha before the change you won't see it come back. And think about it - keep using your water and just save for the DI add on, no point in wasting money on distilled when you've been doing good thus far

This is exactly me too :lol:

Sounds like a plan :)

You know...the real bummer is I had to switch my water source because the place I was going to had a "creepy" man that worked there. Everytime I went in for water, he'd have to hug me and tell me I was his princess. Creeped me out :lol:

He had water that was from 1-3 TDS though :rolleyes:

surgicalsense
Sounds like a plan :)

You know...the real bummer is I had to switch my water source because the place I was going to had a "creepy" man that worked there. Everytime I went in for water, he'd have to hug me and tell me I was his princess. Creeped me out :lol:

He had water that was from 1-3 TDS though :rolleyes:

:o Creepy man.

surgicalsense
Weird. There was a man at a store that hugged me and told me to come visit him. I never went back. :eek::o

Maybe you reminded him of the grandson he never had :scarry: ...

:o Creepy man.

Seriously. It was freaking me out. I felt like the guy was going to go too far some day. He would get right in my face too. I think he was hoping I'd have an affair with him. I had to stop going there. Oh and it's the place on Hollywood Way between Magnolia and Chandler on the right. I stopped taking my dog to the groomer that was a couple doors down from him too. Didn't want to run into him.

surgicalsense
Seriously. It was freaking me out. I felt like the guy was going to go too far some day. He would get right in my face too. I think he was hoping I'd have an affair with him. I had to stop going there. Oh and it's the place on Hollywood Way between Magnolia and Chandler on the right. I stopped taking my dog to the groomer that was a couple doors down from him too. Didn't want to run into him.

Geesh that is bad, stay away from creepy man ... I do not care for that. There are some messengers/Ups/FedEx guys that weird me out here at work. Since I am near the mailroom, it does not help.But, because I see them before they see me I avoid them before I leave my office B) stealth.

Yea that does suck...creepers haha. Brit tells me about the fedex/ups guys all the time, but I can't do anything haha. Then again I can understand why he was creepin gena, cause your a cougar :P. Haha doesn't make it right though

hee hee....UPS man. Isn't that the running joke. The wife ran off with the UPS man???? They seem to all be playboys.

Yea that does suck...creepers haha. Brit tells me about the fedex/ups guys all the time, but I can't do anything haha. Then again I can understand why he was creepin gena, cause your a cougar :P. Haha doesn't make it right though

Well, in this case, he was older 50s-early 60s...so he would have been my Sugar Daddy :lol:

hee hee....UPS man. Isn't that the running joke. The wife ran off with the UPS man???? They seem to all be playboys.

what? it was always the milkman

Being a delivery man/vendor...it happens you see all this eye candy, but most people can't control it and end up loosing they're job cause someone calls in on them...lol

Archived