Cultivated Reef

HecticDialectic's ADA 10G

HecticDialectics

HecticDialectics
Can we get some pitcherz in this beesh... Jeez.

Fine! Here!

Reef111720011-1.jpg

:lol:

Pre-cleaning. You can see the salt drip down the front from when I have my MP10 turned up to 11. 150x turnover in a 10gallon gets pretty wicked.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics

Sand not green/brown ;) just cleaned tank, rearranged a bit, placed new corals. I'll give all the debris a few hours to filter out and then snap a shot. Maybe my new corals will be open by then, too. I always stir up the sand a bit and blow off rocks when I clean the tank, then add a filter sock with some carbon in the bottom.

Holy turnover, HD!

I only turn it all the way up for an hour or two every once in awhile. :lol: I normally leave it around 1/4-1/3 power, which I estimate is closer to 50x turnover. My fish go insane, they appear to enjoy it.

HecticDialectics

Pictures galore

Full tank... spoonful of cyclopeeze off to the side.

6356183069_a75ffdeef0_b_d.jpg

Candy cane... not very happy. Flesh started receding on a few heads after the sand-dive, but I think I stopped it. Looks like it'll be fine, but I'm not holding out hope for the two heads that are all misshapen. Kinda wanna cut em off anyway for being ugly.

6356183177_394611fa53_b_d.jpg

New corals... Blue Sympodium and lunar eclipse zoas yanked out of the bargain bin. Take note, cheap ass freebie beggars.

6356183299_62175e5f75_b_d.jpg

Better pic of the blue sympodium

6356183247_d0258f9bf7_b_d.jpg

Duncan... I thought it only had 12 heads a few days ago. Apparently it's up to 18-19 including the newest buds.

6356183365_49bbed4fa9_b_d.jpg

that sympodium is awesome--nice tank, I enjoy the minimalism and it not being an other 'the ocean vomited a rainbow of corals in my tank' (like my tank lol)

the ADA is appropriate

:happy:

HecticDialectics

Thanks everyone. I was pretty excited about the sympodium. I think it'll look pretty awesome as it starts to cover the bottom of that left rock. I haven't decided on a final resting place for the zoas. I'll let them grow out a bit until I decide.

My plans have definitely changed a bit since I first started the tank. I've never liked that "ocean vomited coral" look all over the tank, so my plan has always been a select few corals grown out into large colonies. I'm slowly leaning away from SPS because I can't mesh most of their growth structures to naturally follow the flow of the rock. I still have an idea or two up my sleeve for placement of a nice tabling acro tho.

I'm slowly leaning away from SPS because I can't mesh most of their growth structures to naturally follow the flow of the rock.

Stupid nature.... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Bah! You did it. That picture of the tank looks too awesome for me not to take up this project next. Either ADA or a custom rimless 10 - 15 gal w/ sump for my computer desk. Shouldn't have clicked the thread.. lol.

HecticDialectics
Bah! You did it. That picture of the tank looks too awesome for me not to take up this project next. Either ADA or a custom rimless 10 - 15 gal w/ sump for my computer desk. Shouldn't have clicked the thread.. lol.

:lol: Thanks. There's definitely just something special looking about ADA style tanks. Can't beat the attention to detail that the construction adds to the total look.

• 3 weeks later...

I love where the water level is set on this tank. I assume you've never had a problem with any bit running over the sides? Like when the mp10 goes from 30% to full blast or whatever.

Or how about working in the tank with your hands. Does it displace enough water to send it over the edge?

HecticDialectics

A little bit drips in one or two places on high, not a substantial amount of water tho. Like a dribble every few days.

Sticking my hand in is fine. The water goes into the overflow. I just gotta stick it in slow and gentle lol

It's basically as high as it can possibly be. Ideally, I'll probably make it just an eighth or a quarter in lower in the future.

HecticDialectics

I was about to ##### about the coralline growing on my glass faster than before but then realized it's been two months since i scrapped the damn glass. -_- ugh

Archived