Innovative Marine Aquariums

RK_Tek's 25g rimless-DIY Addiction

RK_tek

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome thread man. Love all the little project you're doing, really inspiring.

Are you just a DIY hobbyist or trying to polish your protoyping/mfg skills?

Awesome thread man. Love all the little project you're doing, really inspiring.

Are you just a DIY hobbyist or trying to polish your protoyping/mfg skills?

Just a DIY hobbyist. I have an education in design and work as a finish carpenter though. I considered venturing into the aquarium hardware business, but don't want to take the joy out of the hobby.

Thanks for the support. Sometimes it's hard to keep going when things aren't going well. I do find that doing something new for the tank renews interest

Very Nice Tank and Stand!

Love the stand, wish I had the tools/knowledge to be able to make my own aquarium stand. I still might try, Just have to have everything pre cut..

Very Nice Tank and Stand!

Love the stand, wish I had the tools/knowledge to be able to make my own aquarium stand. I still might try, Just have to have everything pre cut..

There's nothing on my stand that I couldn't have cut with a $45 circular saw and a straightedge in the driveway. I am fortunate enough to have access to a cabinet shop and 5 of the best woodworkers in the state in our building, but I learned most of what I know in the yard with a cordless drill and circular saw.

The last two pieces of equipment are in. I bought a used Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 from bubba30 here on NR. I'm really happy of the small footprint and after 2 days of breaking in it is beginning to produce some light skimmate. I only have 3 fish and about 8 small corals in 40+ gallons though. Because of the small skimmer, I was able to place it in a smaller sump chamber and use the bigger chamber for some LR and my frags. I hung my other AI Sol over this section.

E5FADB40-4D09-4280-8ADC-90D85D8B7EF6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

00FC97A0-D1AE-4AA5-A80C-4B9B2A20DF66.jpg

I got my CUC order from John at Reefcleaners today. I orded a crew for a 15H knowing that John always adds extras. I should have gotten about 35 snails and I have around 100. The larger snails, I only got a few extras, but my dwarf ceriths which I was supposed to get 15 and I got about 60.

Simply incredible, very nice scape with the perfect balance of a natural reef and minimalist bonsai scape, overall awesome tank. Very clean setup too, DIY makes it that much more impressive.

That overflow and clear bulkhead/PVC is incredible. Glad that skimmer got a good home. Really dig the scape too.

Thanks bubba. The skimmer took a few days to break in, but it's been running great. With such a light bio load, there isn't much to pull, but I am getting a nice green tea.

During the Southern Snowpacalypse I had the pipe that runs to my storage building/shop/water station burst twice. I had been using a hose bib just outside the door for my RO/DI, but my la slots had the plumbers disconnect it bc it burst in so many places. After a moment in the attic, I found the two water lines and decided I'd just drop in a saddle valve and run a line down to my filter. 50/50 shot as to getting the cold water line. Both insulated and no way to test them. The good news is I now have hot water in my shop. Now I need another saddle valve.

I've been moving coral from my 20L into this tank the past two weeks. I've lost almost all my SPS during the last year except for some birds best, 2 small pieces of plating monti, and a green something that is barely hanging on. That is why the right side is barren. It is reserved for future SPS and the survivors when I move them. The left is for LPS and currently has two blastos, frogspawn, torch, Duncans, and two acans. Everything appears to be pretty happy with its new home and most are doing even better in this tank than the 20L. I have new salifert test kits coming, so I can check parameters before moving some if the more delicate stuff over. I still have a bit of cyano and film algae, but most of the GHA is gone and I haven't had any bryopsis or bubble algae and best of all, no neomeris which was the while reason for restarting.

Pic

5218AE8F-88F0-4B26-B7FD-7D27BB65A668.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments. Obviously I'm on the right track since I've gotten more responses to thi thread in a month than the last two years.

Thanks for all the compliments. Obviously I'm on the right track since I've gotten more responses to thi thread in a month than the last two years.

It just looks good and well planned out. That clear overflow is definitely one of the best looking ones I have seen.

Archived