The LEDs are Cree XR-E's. 6 CW and 6 RB. The fixture is electrical conduit and the lamp heads are from a floor lamp that an old roommate left behind. I stripped the guts and fit a heatsink with a 60mm fan an 4 LEDs into each one. I have various optics for them so that I can adjust intensity and color mixing after I get the scape I like. A DIY Typhon LED controller runs the 2 meanwells.
I found the tank in a garbage pile while helping my sister move to Baton Rouge. It's a Tenecor Simplicity 20L AIO. After LOTS of polishing with Novus plastic polish, I have it looking pretty respectable. The filtration has been modified to make a fuge section where bioballs used to be. I ran bioballs when I had some cichlids in the tank and they worked well, but not for a SW setup.
The stand has been the biggest holdup for this build. I had started on the lights over a year ago and finally got them wrapped up around October. The original plan was to build the stand over Christmas break, but the shop at school had the power locked. A paperclip and screwdriver fixed that and I managed to get all the pieces that had to be laminated cut to rough size. After two months, I've finally had enough free time from my architectural thesis to finish it. The entire stand is made with 1/2" Baltic Birch ply and the top, bottom shelf, and legs are laminated to 1". I built a kitchen table a few years ago, and bc the tank will be right by it, I wanted the stand to match. The only hardware used was 8 bolts(one in each leg) and the hinges for the doors, everything else is held together by rabbits, mortise and tenon, and old fashioned friction and gravity. All the furniture I build can be disassembled and packed flat for moving. All the electrical is mounted to a panel and hidden away behind the doors. There are openings routed into the back at the top and bottom for running cords.
Below are some pics of the build. Feel free to comment; but I doubt I'll change much, if anything.