inTank Media Baskets

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

I picked up the sump and some new bulk heads today. I tried it out for size and it fits like a gem. Thursday is going to be a long day but I will have it all moved and set up.

Quick pic of how big the reflector is on this thing.

85bd0369.jpg

c93aa503.jpg

The pump will have different hosing running to the return pipe. I will also have the sump at a different position to shorten the distance of the return line from the pump and get more flow. Plenty of room in this thing for other things.

92ddb066.jpg

428442e4.jpg

0378b100.jpg

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good. Let me know what you think of that skimmer, I'm thinking about sticking one on the heavily stocked 100g FOWLR I'm planning.

I look forward to seeing the updates from Thursday. I'm sure everything will go great just make sure you have really loud music so you don't realize how tiring everything is. Works every single time.

Thanks.

The skimmer is pretty good. I used it on my rimless but never got it going quite right. The water level in the sump always changed on me so it never got really going. It's a good pump compared to the previous ones.

SpringFever

I’ve been following your tank(s) for a while, and am impressed with them all! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to come… Will you be posting pictures on Friday? It’s almost embarrassing how excited I am to see this come together.

I’ve been following your tank(s) for a while, and am impressed with them all! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to come… Will you be posting pictures on Friday? It’s almost embarrassing how excited I am to see this come together.

Thank you. That's quite a compliment. I will try and snag some photos on Friday. It will be a long day Thursday moving everything and we will have to see how the tank is looking. I'm sure everyone will be quite stressed.

hey man, good luck with the setup. i must admit that i'm impressed with your ambition setting this up on a weekday, but i'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together!

Thanks. I already took the next two days off from work and the timing of the tank just worked out. The fiancé is working so it means I can focus on the task at hand without being asked to do something else. I have Jon helping me move the tank in when I have the 40 empty and moved out of the spot. It should go smooth but slow. I do need to pick some screen up for the canopy since I will be placing an order for some wrasses this weekend. I don't anticipate a cycle with as much rock as I have between the two tanks. It should go well. The only part slowing me down is buying and brewing enough salt water.

SpringFever

As sick as it sounds, I kind of like moving my tank. It is just a condensed exercise in project management: planning a complicated sequence of events and ad hoc contingency plans. Granted I’m not too happy about the whole process at 12pm when by back aches and can no longer feel my fingers, but the planning leading up to the event is fun.

Best wishes, Dan. Here is to a successful transfer!

It's going to take me a few trips to the store today to get that extra water. I have all materials needed moved in and assembled other than the tank/stand/canopy. Got a 30 gallon brute trash can with water stirring and heating ready for the transfer. I will save all the water from the tanks today and transfer it. Only a small amount of sand will be transferred so that I can seed the new sand. I'm not too worried about a mini cycle with the amount of rock that I have but I will pick up some MB7 in case.

Off to Lowes to pick up an extra rubbermaid container in case I need it as a temporary storage tank. Need a bit of hosing and some netting for the back of the canopy but other than that I'm ready.

As sick as it sounds, I kind of like moving my tank.

you're right, that does sound sick. i find that most of my tank moving experiences have been an exercise in a combination of panic, loud cursing, finger-crossing and wet floors.

It's going to take me a few trips to the store today to get that extra water. I have all materials needed moved in and assembled other than the tank/stand/canopy. Got a 30 gallon brute trash can with water stirring and heating ready for the transfer. I will save all the water from the tanks today and transfer it. Only a small amount of sand will be transferred so that I can seed the new sand. I'm not too worried about a mini cycle with the amount of rock that I have but I will pick up some MB7 in case.

Off to Lowes to pick up an extra rubbermaid container in case I need it as a temporary storage tank. Need a bit of hosing and some netting for the back of the canopy but other than that I'm ready.

Dan, if you're getting the pre-mixed water with D-D from Atlantis, be aware that you might have to buffer it up a bit. Even at 1.025, I've found that it tests low for Ca/Alk (~360ppm Ca and 9dkh Alk), significantly lower than when I mix my own water using D-D at home (where I get ~450ppm Ca and 10dkh Alk).

Where are you getting MB7?

Also, I'm interested to hear what you think about your bulb. i've been going back and forth on upgrading to a single-bulb 250w fixture.

40 is empty and moved. New tank is in place, sand in, bought more rock (very cool). On the way to lowes again because the dog chewed on a plumbing piece when I set it down for a second. Leak test on bulkheads then move it all in next. Pictures later.

No worries because I use instant ocean.

Still brewing more water. 70% of the tank is filled. 7 hours of transferring and setting up was a pain. Everything from the 40 got moved in but nothing was scaped. Did enough for today. I'll move the other stuff from the other tank over when I can see better. The tank is pretty cloudy from the sand but is clearing up.

Thanks a ton for helping me today Jon. I definitely wouldn't have got as much done with out you today.

I'm beat for today.

So things haven't gone so well over the last couple days. The transfer hasn't gone well. The tank has more or less crashed due to an unexpected mini cycle. I ended up losing all my pocilliporas, my birdsnest colony and probably most of my acans. I ended up moving all my corals over to two other local reefers tanks. The fish are still in there and fine right now.

Thanks Michael and Pearson.

Right now I'm trying to decide where to go from here. The new tank has been a non stop fight with the fiance even though I laid out exactly how big it was going to be before getting it. Very frustrating. It is also a pain to work in just because of the size and canopy. I really like the open top tanks.

I'm weighing my options right at the moment on whether I will take a break for a bit or trade down in size. I did speak with Marvin who said he could work something out. I've spoke with him about trading down for either a 90 setup or 75 deep blue reef ready rimless tank setup. I'm leaning towards the 75 or break time. I'm going to let things settle and get the fish through this before making the call.

Mulling it all over right now but I think the rimless 75 (like the oceanic 57 tanks) will be the replacement. The fiancé will not live with this tank and working with a canopy is a pain. I like being able to comfortably work on the tank. I hate giving up on anything so taking a break probably won't be the route I take.

Most of the stuff moved looks good from what I'm hearing ao that's good. Had to save those clams.

So I'm thinking the 75 will be the route to go assuming the fiancé doesn't go apesh*t like last time. It's still an upgrade and nice to look at in my opinion. I need to figure out a stand option for this tank because the factory stands are shoddy in my opinion.

Here is what the deep blue edge rimless 75 tanks look like. The overflow is adjustable for cleaning the glass and voiding sloshing water everywhere. This is someone elses pics.

These are the tanks and style of stand I would get.

865e7f05.jpg

198d9534.jpg

9cc44e94.jpg

6f7afd3b.jpg

dcb7a527.jpg

In other news most of the corals are doing ok elsewhere. Fish are still kicking. I don't think the tailspot made the move. He spent some time out of water and hasnt been seen since the move. The firefish looks to be crooked but can swim and is eating. Very stressful and not looking forward to doing it all again.

If you want to keep it (the fiancé) I’d suggest you set your foot down. They won't change with time and they will make you quit the hobby or stress an otherwise relaxing hobby, except for tank crashes, pest, leaks, bad chemistry you get the idea.

That is my dream tank but won’t buy anything like it until I own the roof I sleep in.

Dan, that is tough news on both fronts -- i'm very sorry to hear that.

for what it's worth, my wife said the same thing when i showed her the deep dimension style tank -- it really gets out into the room. the rimless 75 looks very nice, though. i do hope you won't take a break.

i didn't see what you did and didn't lose, but do you need any frags? i don't have much, but the pink cap, purple digitata, and pink prostrata you gave me have both grown out enough for me to clip some off if you need it. just let me know.

If you want to keep it (the fiancé) I’d suggest you set your foot down. They won't change with time and they will make you quit the hobby or stress an otherwise relaxing hobby, except for tank crashes, pest, leaks, bad chemistry you get the idea.

That is my dream tank but won’t buy anything like it until I own the roof I sleep in.

wow. i mean, wow.

Thanks I appreciate it. I won't be taking a break. I still have enough to fill a 75 nicely. I appreciate the offer.

Archived