Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
Some updated shots

topdown0220.jpg

WOW your corals look amazing! It looks like your corals are loving your setup! I have a few questions for you if you dont mind?

What do you keep you water par at?

What is the temp?

What is you salinity?

How often do you do water changes and how much (volume)?

Do you dose anything?

WOW your corals look amazing! It looks like your corals are loving your setup! I have a few questions for you if you dont mind?

What do you keep you water par at?

What is the temp?

What is you salinity?

How often do you do water changes and how much (volume)?

Do you dose anything?

Thank you.

I couldn't give you an answer on par. I have never measured it. I can only tell you I run 2x250 watt radiums for about 8 hours a day. I plan on picking up some new bulbs next month. The current bulbs are about 9-10 months old.

Temp: Between 77-81 on a daily basis. No chiller used.

Salinity: I measure old school style with a hydrometer. I keep it at 1.023-1.025 on the hydrometer. I use instant ocean salt.

Water changes: I'm a little bad at lately. I try to do 10-15 gallon changes once every two or three weeks but it's been more like once a month lately.

Dosing: I use a calcium reactor now running coarse ARM media. I also add kalk to my top off water.

Filtration: I use a biopellet reactor with about 500mL of BRS biopellets. I've also started using a small amount (2 1/2 teaspoons) of high capacity GFO.

I feed once or twice a day a variety of frozen/spirulina/pellets/reefcleaners filter feeder formula.

Water tests great, fish are fat/happy, and the corals are looking good.

Thank you.

Your tank looks very nice. You've got a very nice selection of coral right now.

I've had most of my coral for a while now so it limits what I can add to the tank. If I had more space I would be adding some more SPS.

saltwatercoral
Thank you.

I couldn't give you an answer on par. I have never measured it. I can only tell you I run 2x250 watt radiums for about 8 hours a day. I plan on picking up some new bulbs next month. The current bulbs are about 9-10 months old.

Temp: Between 77-81 on a daily basis. No chiller used.

Salinity: I measure old school style with a hydrometer. I keep it at 1.023-1.025 on the hydrometer. I use instant ocean salt.

Water changes: I'm a little bad at lately. I try to do 10-15 gallon changes once every two or three weeks but it's been more like once a month lately.

Dosing: I use a calcium reactor now running coarse ARM media. I also add kalk to my top off water.

Filtration: I use a biopellet reactor with about 500mL of BRS biopellets. I've also started using a small amount (2 1/2 teaspoons) of high capacity GFO.

I feed once or twice a day a variety of frozen/spirulina/pellets/reefcleaners filter feeder formula.

Water tests great, fish are fat/happy, and the corals are looking good.

Thanks for all the good info steely185! Just getting a good idea on some of the bigger tanks so I can do a comp on mine!

I got in the tank yesterday and did some more cleaning. I plucked out plenty of hair algae that's dying off to make room for superman monti growth. I also removed some more bryopsis. Trying to kill it off. I may not be successful for a couple weeks. Getting married next weekend and will be on my honeymoon the week after. I may not accomplish much on the fight until I get back when I can devote more time to it.

In the process of cleaning I moved my red cap temporarily over to the left side. I'm debating on selling off my frogspawn colony (stretches about 10" across) and my torch coral. Things will definitely open up some more if I do that. If I do I will replace them with more SPS :)

Congrats on the wedding man, with the crazy weather here it'll more than likely be a beautiful day!

Where y'all honeymooning to? I was in Aruba for mine may of last year and it was amazing.

Tank is looking incredible as always steely. Been stealing a little here and there from your setup for mine!!

Thanks. We're hoping it's going to be nice. Right now they are calling for thunderstorms but 67. Still a week out so a lot can change.

We are going to head to Savannah for a week. It should be nice. Neither of us have been there before and plenty with in driving distance.

Glad you like it. I'm just glad some people follow along.

I cut my tricolor colony back this weekend. I cut out a 4" section that was all too close to my hulk tort. I also picked up an 18 gallon tote to replace the 5 gallon bucket I use for a reservoir for my top off. The five gallon bucket usually lasts me about 4-5 days so I wanted to be able to hold more water and not have to fill it up as often. This will save me for my trip.

Last bit of news. I found my tuxedo urchin dead today. I'm not sure if the increased amount of magnesium from the tech-M has killed him off or if it was just his time. It's always hard to tell what the lifespan of inverts are in a tank.

Do you have a pic of the bryopsis? I think I might have it in my tank.

Also, i'm going to the MACI with my dad. Do some dad son bonding. :) I will post alot pics.

I never been to something like that before. And your tank great by the way.

Getting married next weekend and will be on my honeymoon the week after.
Congrats!

I'm debating on selling off my frogspawn colony (stretches about 10" across) and my torch coral. Things will definitely open up some more if I do that. If I do I will replace them with more SPS :)

You know what I would say about this :D

Thanks Animal. Everything is growing very well including the zoas now.

Adam I don't think I have any pics of the bryopsis to post. Thanks by the way. I hope to check out one of the conferences or swap meets one day. They seem like a lot of fun but dangerous for the wallet.

Thanks SoCal. It's going to be a crazy weekend after a year of planning and it will be nice to finally get some time off from work as well.

When I make it back from my honeymoon I will probably do some work on the tank. I need to take care of the ever growing population of majano in my tank. I'm going to have a kalk party. I would add a leatherjacket filefish but I want to keep my zoas. Most of the algae in the tank is dying off except for my byropsis. I've been keeping up with the Tech M and manual removal so we will see. I'm leaning towards removing the frogspawn and torch at this point. I hate to but they take up so much room. I could do a lot more with that space. I also hate to because the orchid dottyback hides/sleeps underneath the frogspawn. Trying not to do much to the tank right now. I just want things to stay stable while I'm gone and then I can tinker with things. I should have enough top off water to last me about 2 1/2 weeks now. I'm glad I upgraded from a bucket to an 18 gallon rubbermaid storage tote.

Thanks guys. The wedding went great. Still down in Savannah. Hoping the tank is doing well. My copperband died the day I left for savannah. He was struggling that morning and died within two hours. I flushed him and left. Hopefully the tank is doing well. I don't think he ever quite got enough food. He looked a little skinny but would eat just fine just maybe not enough. Fingers crossed for when I return.

Everything ran on it's own while I was gone. No issues. Made it back and things look fine other than some new bryopsis growing.

Here are a few shots from my trip to Savannah

forsytheparkfountain.jpg

cottonexchange.jpg

masonic.jpg

spanishmoss.jpg

spanishmosstwo.jpg

williamscarbrough.jpg

sidewalk.jpg

spanishmossthree.jpg

baptistchurch.jpg

churchtop.jpg

cityhall.jpg