Coral Vue Hydros

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a bird of paradise myself but it's getting too much light and lost most of it's green color. I'd keep it a little lower in the tank compared to most of your other stuff. Flow sounds good, that MP40 should keep things moving for you pretty well.

I'm sure you can pack that thing with some fish. That's quite a bit of swimming room for everyone.

Yeah I only plan on adding a kole or bristletooth tang. I plan on focusing on fairy wrasses and will add a pair of twin spot gobies. Love them wrasses.

Finally got a buyer on the rimless. They are picking it up this weekend and I will be finally picking up the tank on Saturday. The sand arrived and the seller just got the ballast in yesterday. I'll be glad to get this thing so I can work out the plumbing and get this up and running in a week.

Anyone interested in the 40 breeder? I'll be selling tank/stand/nw110 reef octopus skimmer/ sump and 2x150 sunpod with phoenix 14ks all together for $400 once I move the livestock over to the 150. Local pick up in Richmond, VA only though.

Finally got a buyer on the rimless. They are picking it up this weekend and I will be finally picking up the tank on Saturday.

Great news! Can't wait to see this thing up and running!

Thanks.

Like I said on my other thread "It's a good week. Got buyers on this tank and the rimless, organized a local group buy on clams (gonna snag a 6" teardrop), find a store that gets us great,great deals on fish and made some inquiries on a hawaiian flame wrasse from a local tank tear down. Best of all I pick up the new tank on Saturday and start pluming this weekend. Need to work out a sump plan."

Just found a buyer on my old light fixture. I may hold off a bit but that money can pay for a couple rapid LED actinic supplementation kits. Pretty excited about this tank. I may look for a prefab sump setup for this tank to give me more room.

A friend of mine owned it previously and got great growth off a single 400 watt bulb with the luminarc reflector. He got full spread on the tank. This is what it looked like for him.

8c644713.jpg

a80fb42b.jpg

I plan to work something out different in terms of aquascaping. The LEDs would probably be just used as lunar lights and actinics in the am and pm. Depends how strong they look. They would be dimmable to slowly fade up to the lights kicking on and slowly fading until off for the night. That's the beauty of a controller.

These were a few other local 150 DD's. Hopefully they don't mind me posting these pics.

6bec488c.jpg

1a08b0e3.jpg

c44e2cff.jpg

Gives me enough ideas as to what I want to do here.

Picking the tank up in the morning. Looking at sump options for in the stand. It will need room for the skimmer (reef octopus super skimmer 1000 int) and a return pump (mag 7 to start). I may try to go with a prefab sump like the one coral vue puts out (the reef octopus sumps) or one drilled for an external pump. Refugium space isn't all that important since I never really grow chaeto and biopellets on this system will defeat the purpose of refugium. I do like leaving that option open though. Looking at a 30" length sump but want plenty of room. Not wanting to go the rubbermaid or 29/20L aquarium route. Any suggestions.

New tank is home and not a day too soon. Temporary holding tank isn't looking so hot. Got lots of lost tissue on acans. I went ahead adding some chemi pure and a bag of carbon to that tank to clean it up a bit. I'll do a small water change and probably dip the acans later.

I decided on using my existing mag 7 for a return for now. I will be picking up a Eshopps RS-200 sump which should clean everything up real nice and give me plenty of room. It's acrylic so drilling it for expansion should be no problem.

I like the access on this new tank. The stand is open on the back and has three doors (one for each other side). This will make working on things very easy. I'll post some pics when my computer starts cooperating and reads the photo card.

Thanks. Here's what I was thinking.

The plan

Lighting

I will be running a single 400 watt 20k plus rite bulb over this tank using a galaxy ballast. The reflector is a lumenarc reflector that gives me plenty of spread over the the 3ft x 3ft footprint.

I'm toying with the idea of running two strips of dimmable royal blue cree LED's (12 on each side of the tank spread along 24" strips) with no reflectors. This would be controlled by my APEX controller. I would do a slow ramp up until the halides kick on and a reverse order later in the evening. This will get going at some point but not to start.

Flow

I will be running a Mag 7 return pump.

My main flow through the tank will come from a vortech mp40, mp10, and a korallia 4. I may adjust these flow options at some point but this is a nice starting point. The back glass is painted black so it should look pretty clean.

Sump

Wednesday I will be picking up a Eshopps RS-200 sump from Marvin. They run a 200 micron filter bag and leave me plenty of room for a skimmer, return pump, and heaters. The sump measures 30" x 12" x 16" and has a total volume of 25 gallons.

sump.jpg

I should have plenty of room under the stand to run my vertex biopellet reactor. I will upgrade my pump running my reactor to a Rio 2100 pump to give more flow that can be adjusted and manage to keep the pellets from clumping. My current 300 gph pump does not cut it.

I may drill the sump at some point to attach a frag tank that will run inline with the rest of the tank. If I go this route I will run a stronger external return pump.

Skimmer

I currently have a super octopus skimmer that runs on a bubble blaster pump. It has the nice adjustable gate valve as well. It's rated up to 125 gallons but I will use it for the time being and if need be I'll upgrade.

SRO-1000Int.jpg

Livestock

I plan to transfer all of my current reef inhabitants to this tank. I want to make this a more active tank as well. I want to focus on wrasses with this tank, fairy wrasses specifically. I really want to add a flame, rhomboid, christmas (not sure on this one since I've heard conflicting reports on how they do with shrimp), coris, lubbocks, and possibly a scott's fairy wrasse to this tank. This list may change. I only want to add one tang maybe two. The tangs I would add would be a kole yellow eye tang and bristletooth (tomini more than likely).

I have a ton of coral to move over so this should get put together quickly. I want to aquascape this tank as two long islands (shallow on the right, built up towards the overflow on the left) maybe connecting with an overhang near the back. I want to have tabling corals and plating monti's from the rear to the middle of the tank on both sides. This will leave room near the front to highlight plenty of acans, clams and favias. I also want to throw a few photosynthetic gorgonia in there somewhere. I think it looks to be a good plan and got a vision for what I want here.

I will set this all up on Thursday. I have the day off to get it done (moving out two tanks and moving/stocking the new 150).

phi delt reefer

try a spiraling centre column like one of those staircases in an expensive home that goes from the top floor to the basement.

1-1156091400-the-famous-spiral-staircase.jpg

I'm looking to go off center with the rock with pieces protruding from the structure. I see so many cubes that are center based and want to avoid that. I say all this but working with existing rock with existing mounted coral may change that. I don't want to have to reattach too many corals. I want to go plating towards the center with a gap and stag formations on the outer sides. I'll sprinkle in some variety in between. I like the idea of gap to fill in the center with table corals. We will see.

animalmaster6

I'm really interested to see the scape. I currently planning my scape for my 125. It's so important yet there are so many options to think about :wacko:

I like the livestock plans. I would skip the Christmas Wrasse. I would also skip the coris wrasse. They are great against pests but can be very aggressive towards most inverts. They will terrify shrimp. They aren't very reef-safe shrimp wise. May I recommend a possum wrasse or two? They are smaller than the coris but they do eat pests. They are very interesting as well.

Also be wise about adding wrasses. If you add too many they will fight. Add the smaller ones first and the larger ones last. For example if you add the Scott's first it will be mean to the Flame. Also I recommend getting a Flame Wrasse trio. They look stunning.

If I go with the Xmas wrasse he will be from Hawaii. They tend to be a little better with inverts. I'm not too concerned on the yellow coris wrasse since they should be fine. I like the possum wrasse but don't think my six line would care for such a similar shaped wrasse. The flames are great but one is all I want. I'm not trying to do more than one of anything other than maybe a goby.

I tried out the new ballast and bulb last night. I really like the ballast since it runs so quiet and cool. Not sure with the bulb since it wasn't on for long and hasn't burn in much. Hard to tell final color on an empty tank.

Archived