300 watt EboJager Heater

Apex Controller
2x EB8 strips
Wireless WXM module
2x pH Probes
1x Temp Probe

2x Ice Cap 250 watt MH ballasts
2x LumenMax 2 Mogul Reflectors with UV Glass Shields
2x 250watt Radium bulbs (installed July 2012)

5lb CO2 bottle
Milwaukee CO2 Regulator
Maxi Jet 1200
Geo 618 Caclium Reactor with Eheim 1048 pump

Corals:

SPS:
ORA Marshall Island Purple and Green Acro
ORA Bird of Paradise
ORA Chips Acropora
ORA Red Planet
ORA supernatural Montipora
Tricolor Acro
Blue Tenuis
Tyree Pink Lemonade
copps xmas hyacinthus
Purple Stylophora
Green Birdsnest
Pink Birdsnest
Cali Tort
Green Sarmoensis
Rose Milli
Wild Blue Milli
Sunset Milli
Tommyknockers (Prostrata)
Green Loripes
Pink and Green Prostrata
Blue Hoeksmani

LPS:
5 Acan colonies
2 Acan frags
Tyree Babies Breath Favia Colony
Aqua and Gold Favia (don't remebmer the name)
Puprle and Green Lobo

Soft:
Fiji Yellow Leather
Armor of God Palythoas
Armageddon Palythoas
Dragon Eye Zoanthids
Palythoa Grandis
ORA Grubes Gorgonian

Inverts:
Blue Maxima Clam
Blue Crocea Clam
Derasa Clam
Fire shrimp
Maxi Mini Anemone
2x Rose Bubbletip Anemones (one with Green Base)

Fish:
2x Maroon Clowns (mated pair that breeds)
2x Blue Eyed Cardinals (mated pair that breeds)
Purple Fridmani Pseudochromis
Blue and Yellow Damsel
Six Line Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse
Green Clown Goby
Bristletooth Tomini Tang

Tank Progress:

5/04/13

fts050413_zpsd2d6ee76.jpg

3/14/13
fts2_zpsb9802f67.jpg

2/21/13
fts222113_zpse4d31d60.jpg

2/9/13
fts1020913_zps655c4f6a.jpg

1/28/13

FTS1012813_zps99fc9956.jpg

1/5/13
Jan052013FTS_zps8ccd3205.jpg

12/1/12
FTS120612.jpg

11/14/12
fulltank111312.jpg

10/24/12
fts1024122.jpg

9/20/12
FTS092012_zpsde159b5b.jpg

8/21/12
082012fts1.jpg

8/8/12
bestFTS080812.jpg

7/17/12
newrocksfts2.jpg

Moved to a house tank crashed
7/14/12
IMG_3971.jpg

5/30/12
FTS2.jpg

5/7/12
e4c17ad5-1.jpg

4/15/12
FTS041512.jpg

4/2/12
75fts2040212.jpg

1/30/12
IMG_3382.jpg

1/3/12
IMG_3138.jpg

12/10/11
IMG_3001.jpg

11/21/11
IMG_2912.jpg

7/29/11
IMG_2472.jpg

6/27/11
46dc3e42.jpg

5/6/11
IMG_2294-1.jpg

4/6/11
0f5bf410.png

3/30/11
b0e87e44.jpg

Updated 3/16/11: changing this thread up a bit. Trading in the 150 and picking up a deep blue rimless 75 edge aquarium in it's place.

So I finally have something worked out on a new tank. I spoke today with someone and have agreed to buy a used marineland 150 gallon deep dimension tank once my tax return comes through in another week. It will be tank, stand, and canopy that has a lumenarc reflector set up for a mogal socket.

I plan to run a galaxy electronic ballast with a single 400 watt bulb for lighting. The advantage to this tank is that the lumenarc gives me 3'x3' spread on light and I will only be running 100 watts more than my breeder does now. I will probably start with a 22k or 20k plus rite bulb and maybe switch to a radium 20k at some point. Many local reefers are using the plus rite bulbs on their reefs with great success and $15-20 a bulb you can 't beat it. I should be good in terms of rock for now but can add more later. I will probably use about 100 lbs of sand (probably fiji pink).

This should be very interesting now that I can build upward with my reef and can finally put all my coral in to one tank. It won't be much of a build because it will be close to being an instant reef. I'm looking forward to it because I can finally add a tang and some nice wrasses. Exciting times.

Here is the tank

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj286/aqua2211/tank2.jpg

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
So I finally have something worked out on a new tank. I spoke today with someone and have agreed to buy a used marineland 150 gallon deep dimension tank once my tax return comes through in another week. It will be tank, stand, and canopy that has a lumenarc reflector set up for a mogal socket.

I plan to run a galaxy electronic ballast with a single 400 watt bulb for lighting. The advantage to this tank is that the lumenarc gives me 3'x3' spread on light and I will only be running 100 watts more than my breeder does now. I will probably start with a 22k or 20k plus rite bulb and maybe switch to a radium 20k at some point. Many local reefers are using the plus rite bulbs on their reefs with great success and $15-20 a bulb you can 't beat it. I should be good in terms of rock for now but can add more later. I will probably use about 100 lbs of sand (probably fiji pink).

This should be very interesting now that I can build upward with my reef and can finally put all my coral in to one tank. It won't be much of a build because it will be close to being an instant reef. I'm looking forward to it because I can finally add a tang and some nice wrasses. Exciting times.

Here is the tank

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj286/aqua2211/tank2.jpg

Can't wait to see it Steely!

Thanks guys. I'm really excited about it. I keep thinking over different aquascapes.

I've been looking at about 3-4 fairy wrasses (clown, velvet, scotts, golden rhomboid) and maybe a flasher like a McCoskers. Still thinking about Tangs as well like a powder blue. I would love a clown tang but not sure it would be enough space.

I ordered two se 400 watt 20k plus rite bulbs today. I ordered two to cover me for the year (i will only use one two light the tank). At less than $15 a bulb it's a bargain and they look a lot like a radium in color.

Dimensions for those not familiar are 36"x36"x27"tall.

Thanks guys. I'm really excited about it. I keep thinking over different aquascapes.

I've been looking at about 3-4 fairy wrasses (clown, velvet, scotts, golden rhomboid) and maybe a flasher like a McCoskers. Still thinking about Tangs as well like a powder blue. I would love a clown tang but not sure it would be enough space.

I'd say it depends on how much open space you have for swimming on a tang. If you leave it open you should be fine with smaller species tangs, but I think clown tangs get too big and they're awfully aggressive. I would probably stick with wrasses and anthias, but that's me. I think the 150 DD's dimensions lend itself better to a ton of smaller fish more than a few big fish.

I love the plan for this though and the 150 DD is one sexy tank. Any plans for actinic supplements to the Halide?

I was thinking the same on the Tangs but may add a single tang like a kole. They are great for keeping algae down.

I want to see how much room I have in the canopy with the reflector. I may just mount some nice LEDs for actinic supplementation.

I was thinking the same on the Tangs but may add a single tang like a kole. They are great for keeping algae down.

I want to see how much room I have in the canopy with the reflector. I may just mount some nice LEDs for actinic supplementation.

Love both ideas. I'm generally on the "tangs need room to swim" side of things, but koles aren't that big and they're generally more localized than a lot of other tangs. Plus the depth of the tank should provide swimming room.

I think the LEDs would be a good choice too. Those big Lumanarcs are massive and I like that with LEDs you could do a ring around the reflector.

I'm looking for some input on adding on LEDs to a canopy for this tank. I plan on running a single 400 watt mogul bulb in a lumenarc reflector. I want to add LED actinic supplementation around the reflector for extra actinics and moonlights. I like the idea of the rapid LED dimmable driver supplementation kits they sell. How many LEDs and what optics would I need to get good spread on a 36"x36" footprint for a tank 27" tall?

Steely that tank looks great! That's a ton of room too.

I'd say that one every 6 inches around the sides of the reflector would cover you pretty well so ~20 LEDs...

I'm not too sure about the optics. How far from the water will they be mounted? That will certainly play into things.

-Dustin

Thanks. I would post the question in the lighting section but I can start a new thread on my iPhone, only fast reply. I don't have the tank yet so I can't say for sure but I'm guessing about 8" off the water or less.

Rapid LED got back in touch with me and said that 18-24 total total should work and no need for optics. I may pick up two of the 24" kits with 12 LEDs each with dimmable drivers. I will probably try bending an L bracket from 90 degrees to about 120 to project at an angle further in the tank. My APEX controller should handle the dimming nicely.

Got the galaxy electronic ballast ordered today and bulbs(one extra for that cheap of a price)arrive tomorrow. Soon as my refund is deposited I will set a time to pick the tank up.

I may have a buyer on the old shallow tank so that's good. That would allow mento order some LEDs for this tank.

Cubes are awesome tanks. I'm looking forward to the depth and width of this tank the most.

Got the refund now just have to see how much a car repair is going to run me now. I'm going to put an order in for 90 lbs of sand. It should be enough and it's cheaper buying online than buying it in the store. I like the finer sand, not quite sugar sized but like Fiji pink.

I will either use my existing 15 gallon sump, a 20 long, or a 30" rubbermaid (tough and cheap). Limited by 36" of space in either direction under the stand.

It's going on a cement floor and has been on a 2nd floor apartment before so all should be well in terms of weight.

I ordered the Aragamax Oolitic Select Sand:0.5-1.02 mm grain size. This should be good. I like finer sand and in a 27" deep tank I'm not expecting too many sandstorms. This will be good because I want to add a pair of twinspot gobies eventually.

I'm going to start with a mp40, mp10, and a koralia 4 for flow to keep from cluttering the tank with powerheads. I should be able to get plenty of flow and keep it clean looking. I will end up using my rio 2100 or mag 7 for a return pump. If I need to go with less or more flow I can make adjustments. How does that sound?

Got some nice stuff lined up for this weekend's meet. Purple tort colony, chips acro, bird of paradise, and pink lemonade set to come home with me. They will make nice additions to this tank when running.

Nice!! You should consider powder brown tangs, since they require considerably less swimming room than powder blue tangs, but they look very similar. That's my plan.

Got some nice stuff lined up for this weekend's meet. Purple tort colony, chips acro, bird of paradise, and pink lemonade set to come home with me. They will make nice additions to this tank when running.

i love the bird of paradise, but the ones at Atlantis always look like they're on their last leg. I'll be interested to see how yours does.

Archived