Pod Your Reef

February 2011 - Steely185

Christopher Marks

Your tank is amazing!! You are more than worthy of TOTM.

I you wouldn't mind taking a look at my thread and giving me some feedback that would be great. I could really use some input and your tank is so inspiring.

victornator333

hey steely, nice tank! I am also using kalk in my auto top off. Quick question....after you add the kalk to the top off, do you just let it settle in the reservoir or do you have a pump that occasionally moves the water around within the reservoir? I currently just let the water settle...wondering if im doing it right.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone.

Awesome looking tank. Love the blue milli. Can you post a picture of your ORA Joe?

Sure. This was sold to me by Mr. Coral as Joe the Coral off their website. It came on the ORA plug but I believe it is actually ORA Borealis based off the body coloration. It's more teal green color on the body with blue tips.

IMG_1777.jpg

hey steely, nice tank! I am also using kalk in my auto top off. Quick question....after you add the kalk to the top off, do you just let it settle in the reservoir or do you have a pump that occasionally moves the water around within the reservoir? I currently just let the water settle...wondering if im doing it right.

Sounds good to me. I don't bother keeping it stirred even though it's recommended. Quite a bit of it settles to the bottom of the reservoir bucket over time. I've seen no ill effects. As the level in the bucket gets real low I will occasional get a very light milky cloud as it is dispensed that lasts a couple minutes before completely clearing.

Thats what I've been thinking. I would love to hear a reason TO use night mode? Besides the theoretical......

scientific reason: so you can sleep if the tank is in your bedroom.

Thanks everyone.

Sure. This was sold to me by Mr. Coral as Joe the Coral off their website. It came on the ORA plug but I believe it is actually ORA Borealis based off the body coloration. It's more teal green color on the body with blue tips.

IMG_1777.jpg

Sounds good to me. I don't bother keeping it stirred even though it's recommended. Quite a bit of it settles to the bottom of the reservoir bucket over time. I've seen no ill effects. As the level in the bucket gets real low I will occasional get a very light milky cloud as it is dispensed that lasts a couple minutes before completely clearing.

What kind of fish is this?

Thanks. It just gives some added room to work with and they will eventually grow on the glass. It does give more depth to the tank as it causes an illusion of where the reef ends.

The fish is a green clown goby.

I've had a few people ask me about the clams. I picked up the green maxima from pacific east aquaculture when I drove out there for a club gathering. I took these shots with my phone while there and a video. Awesome place and extremely hard choices on the clams. When I get my 150 set up I will add another.

92a2bdc0.jpg

d496ac88.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey man awesome tank! Possibly my favorite TOTM thus far! I'm pretty new at this and just wanted to know what that pink coral in the middle is? A milipora? If so can I get the specifics on the species like where I can get one. Thanks and congrats on TOTM.

Thank you. The center coral is a pink montipora cap.

Thanks buddy. I just had a few questions about it like did you get it as a frag? If so did you have to do anything to make it grow in that shape?

I did buy it as a 1/2" frag. I still have the same coral in my 75 gallon tank. It's been fragged many times by now and is about 10" in size. Light and water flow are the biggest things determining it's growth pattern. Not all caps will grow in a vase like pattern, some are more dinner plate shaped and others grow closer to the rockwork (similar to an encrusting monti).

Archived