SaltCritters.com

SC Coastal "Pest" Anemone Tank

Monochrome5

brandolando4

I would like to be a proff as well, however I made a pact with myself that I would be the easiest proff ever so I'd prolly get fired lol!! I really am starting to get Ono inverts as well!! And jellyfish are really cool!! I would consider doing somethig with that

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anemone fan
Any plans for your marine bio degree? I'm about a month and a half from my masters in Marine Bio. My forte is cnidarian, though I have published work on sea urchins and mosquitofish.

I'm going for my masters as well. Cnidarians is my specialty, anemones in particular.

Monochrome5
How's it pay?! My parents tell me I'm going to be very poor!! But I don't care!!

Nah. 70% of marine biologists are employed by the government (NOAA, DNR, NIST, etc). Gov't jobs pay decent and have great benefits. For example, a fisheries inspector on a fishing boat makes roughly $78,000 for 3 months of work per year. All you do is sit on a fishing boat and watch them pull in the catch. You record what kinds of fish they catch, how many, etc to make sure they don't catch anything illegal/more than they should. If you decide to be corrupt and let them catch illegal things you can make even more! Hahahaha!

I'm going for my masters as well. Cnidarians is my specialty, anemones in particular.

I'm a jellyfish guy :) Lions Mane Jellies FTW.

Monochrome5

Oh. Almost forgot... PICTURES!

I went collecting today. I found about 210897321897318973189378917313 aiptasia. I grabbed about 30 and took them home.

DSC_0412.jpg

I put 5 of my favorites into my pico. The rest will be going to the lab to be shrimp food :)

DSC_0425.jpg

Not your momma's aiptasia...

Also, I'm thinking about upgrading the pump. Stock pump is rated at 39.5 gph, though it doesn't move much water. While I'm not concerned with waterflow that much (the nems won't care), I am concerned with it being powerful enough to pull water through my filter media. The tanks been running since Thursday night and I still have floating junk on top... Is there anything else that would fit in there? It's a 2"x2" space.

Mono - I recently setup the same type of tank and had the same dilemma. I tried stuffing a Mini-jet 404 in the 2x2 space and was able to do it, but I had to remove the front and back of the pump and the intake faced the front of the tank instead of the side. I ultimately gave up on that idea and drilled a hole in the back wall of the tank on the other side of the 2x2 compartment and put the 404 over there. I can no longer use the foam media that came with the tank, but as you noted, that would end up leading to trouble down the road.

Monochrome5
That's alot of money!! Do you plan on staying in south carolina?!

Not if I can help it. I was originally supposed to get my masters from the University of Sussex in Brighton, England. Unfortunately I lost my student visa due to my undergrad school messing up some paperwork while I was spending the summer hiking through Germany. Once I have the money I'm off to England for good :)

brandolando4

That's really cool, so I take it you like cold water stuff alot!! I want to travel abroad, I kinda have to because I go to School in Colorado so it's hard to get my required bio classes, I'm thinking Australia tho!!

Monochrome5
That's really cool, so I take it you like cold water stuff alot!! I want to travel abroad, I kinda have to because I go to School in Colorado so it's hard to get my required bio classes, I'm thinking Australia tho!!

I did a research internship analyzing skeletal matrix genes from four species of sub-Arctic sea urchins. I guess you could say I like cold animals... just hate cold weather ;)

That's a sweet tank, I don't blame you for wanting to get out of SC, I did 22 years in Myrtle Beach, hated it. Loved the ocean, just hated the summer. Always go cool stuff for the local tank. I got Marine Bio. buddies at Coastal Carolina and UNC-W, they are always getting some cool stuff... Looking forward to more pics of the tank... That little tank is awesome....

Monochrome5
That's intense!! Where did you do your undergrad?

Believe it or not, I did my undergrad in the middle of Ohio :) I got a degree in Biology and Chemistry from Denison University, a small private college that's consistently ranked in the top 40 schools in the US.

That's a sweet tank, I don't blame you for wanting to get out of SC, I did 22 years in Myrtle Beach, hated it. Loved the ocean, just hated the summer. Always go cool stuff for the local tank. I got Marine Bio. buddies at Coastal Carolina and UNC-W, they are always getting some cool stuff... Looking forward to more pics of the tank... That little tank is awesome....

I don't mind the summers. In fact, I tend to wear jeans 99% of the time. I just love the heat.

But I absolutely hate the tourists. Plus South Carolinians are horrible, horrible drivers.

Mr. Microscope
DSC_0412.jpg

Are they in the tank yet? Pics?

BTW, do they sting if you touch them? Though, I suppose you always wear lab gloves.

animalmaster6

Awesome Kyle!

You are convincing me to set up a local new England biotope :P First I need to get my 125 up and second I need to figure out if the local laws even allow it!

Monochrome5

Ask and ye shall receive. Pictures for all!

Pair of nems that I found stuck to a snail shell. I love the one poking through the hole!

DSC_0011.jpg

Shot from the left side of the tank... These nems moved from the front of the rock to the back. Grr.

DSC_0013.jpg

Shot of the nems up front. I haven't put any anemones on the "rock wall" yet, as I want to gather some more species. I'm sure they'll spread back there (where that mystery nem is) eventually.

DSC_0005.jpg

I also pulled two of these small muscles off the dock while collecting the nems. I'll see if they'll grow in here.

DSC_0010.jpg

FTS - 3/18/2011

DSC_0001.jpg

Are they in the tank yet? Pics?

BTW, do they sting if you touch them? Though, I suppose you always wear lab gloves.

They do sting, but they can't pierce human skin. You can actually watch their cnematocysts fire and stick to your hand. I don't wear gloves with these guys hehe.

brandolando4

Lol, that's awesome u should totally put a video of that!! What else do u plan on stocking this tank with??

Why do u need a collecting liscense to get aiptasia???

Monochrome5
Lol, that's awesome u should totally put a video of that!! What else do u plan on stocking this tank with??

Why do u need a collecting liscense to get aiptasia???

No video cam, but I am looking to find one. This tank will be entirely native, collected anemones (other than the one that snuck in on the rock hehe). I'm going to get a few other species of nems, including these small, flat black ones that locals call "black whole anemones" because they eat absolutely everything that passes by (I believe they're related to rock nems). I also want some of the local majano species, as well as maybe a tube nem.

You need a license because they can be incredibly invasive and are banned from export to parts of the state. Also, just like fishing, licensing = money for the state. Plus they don't like people stealing stuff from the beaches/docks/etc. as it can mess up the local environment.

Monochrome5
No fishies???

Probably not. It's only 2 gallons and stuffed full of things that want to eat fish... So there's that.

I may do a few brittle stars (they've been showing up all over the beach the last few days). I'll also probably get one or two micro anemone crabs. We have them running around toward the base of the dock pylons - I just haven't donned enough gear to get down there yet this year :) Collection so far has been whatever was in reach. I'll break out my dive gear here in a few weeks and see hat shows up.

brandolando4

Good point lol, did u make the media rack yet?? Does it look mega ghetto cuz mine is the ghettoest thing ever lol!!

Monochrome5
Good point lol, did u make the media rack yet?? Does it look mega ghetto cuz mine is the ghettoest thing ever lol!!

Waiting on the mailman to drop of the piece of eggcrate. It's only coming from Florida, but the mail service here = lamesauce.

Archived