ReefCleaners.org

The Leviathan Project [120g reef]

NewZealandReefie

NewZealandReefie

I'm looking at the NAC66 (66A model as we'd be ordering it from FishStreet).

Technically the NAC66 is now discontinued, it's been replaced with the NAC77 but the 77 is larger and not suitable for my sump so I don't want it...

If you're going to be running a 120g tank with a 80g sump then you will want something with a higher rating than the NAC6. I would suggest something rated for about twice your tank volume. The NAC6 you've mentioned is rated for 400L-600L.

IMO you'll want more like 800L-1200L. Within reason, there's not really any such thing as 'over skimming'.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats true, I have to look around, Im a canadian reefer so its hard for me to get aquarium stuff but I will shop around and see if I can get a bigger skimmer, I may swap out the sump for something smaller I will have to wait and see. Thanks for the help :flower:

NewZealandReefie

You think Canada is bad for reefing. Try living in New Zealand, our laws for importing live stock are horrendously strict (there's a list of what's allowed and what's not) and if you want decent equipment you either pay an ungodly fortune or you buy it online and hope...

Not a problem, feel free to drop by and ask questions or flick me a PM, I'm happy to help if I can.

On another note update for my tank:

I bought a second MP40w ES today! It should be here early next week! A guy in Auckland was selling the 5 he owned a couple of months ago and it just so happened he had 1 left, only $400 NZD (new MP40's go for about $900 here).

• 1 month later...
NewZealandReefie

Holy mother####ing ####sicles on a stick at the end of this month I'll have florida ricordias!!!!

I know, that doesn't sound like much of a big deal to people in the US, they're not rare as #### over there really.

Here, they go for about $200 EACH.

6 lots have just been imported (landed in NZ 3rd Feb, quarantine for 3 weeks) I've brought all 6 for just shy of $600.00 lol.

Excited! :happy:

NewZealandReefie

No idea lol.

Ru (the importer) says they're a mix of yellow, blue, orange, green etc. Florida's really don't come in boring colours so I'm good with whatever arrives.

NewZealandReefie

So only 3 ricordia came in the order from the vietnam exporter but they're all ours. More will arrive from another importer in about 2 months, so available to us in 3 months.

Of the 3 that arrived, So far we know that 1 is silver/blue and the other is green, we've not been told what colour the 3rd one is yet (Ru, the importer is pretty busy).

On another note, here's some new photos:

Left hand side, bit of a re-scape done yesterday, right hand side done tonight so photos will come when water has cleared up:

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

NewZealandReefie

So king muppet somehow went and got himself all ####ed up:

IMG_3449.jpg

Noooo idea how, he was like this when we got home last night.

He's behaving like nothing at all in wrong... so I guess we'll just wait and see if he gets better.

NewZealandReefie

Fairly well sold on it having been the tang with his evil tail knife.

Mostly just because nothing else in the tank even comes close to being able to inflict that kind of damage.

NewZealandReefie

We're expecting a new coral to arrive tomorrow :happy:

Photos of the ####ed muppet from the last few days, he's getting better! :D

Saturday:

IMG_3524.jpg

Sunday:

IMG_3649.jpg

Today:

IMG_3652.jpg

Our yuma finally split off a bubby one (it's not in this photo but we're really happy it finally go around to it)!

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

In other news, we've given up on the bio-pellets. We get the point and all but we've decided they're just not the best thing for the way we run our tank.

Over the weekend we picked up some of the new Red Sea coral care stuff. We'll keep a log of how things go, but so far we're impressed.

NewZealandReefie

Blue florida ric arrived yesterday. It's most of the way through splitting already so soon we'll have two :happy:

In other news the bartlett is so well healed now I can barely tell which one of them was the injured one (we have 3 of the 6 that look basically the same).

NewZealandReefie

Finally seems like the tank has come to the end of its 'eating all the alkalinity' phase. We've been able to maintain stable parameters over the last few weeks.

Next up, finishing off DIY job on our second MP40. Having epic trouble getting one of the old bearings off.

NewZealandReefie

Florida :happy:

IMG_3696.jpg

Hammer:

IMG_3705.jpg

Hellboy climbing all over the spongodes:

IMG_3679.jpg

Not much to say about the tank at the moment.

The bartlett that was all cut up has healed up completely but been left with a wicked scar on his belly. Now it's much easier to tell him apart from 1st (the bartletts don't have names, they're 1st - 6th).

Archived