Pod Your Reef

The Leviathan Project [120g reef]

NewZealandReefie

NewZealandReefie

Thinking of replacing Maui... with 4 bartletts anthias.

Off to inspect them at the LFS, I watched them eating the other day when they arrived in store but I'd like to see a little more of them before committing myself to a $500 purchase.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking of replacing Maui... with 4 bartletts anthias.

Off to inspect them at the LFS, I watched them eating the other day when they arrived in store but I'd like to see a little more of them before committing myself to a $500 purchase.

4 Anthias? Feeding is going to be a headache!

NewZealandReefie

They're a lot less picky than our lyretail, who sadly we'll be returning to the store in the next few days now that we have the bartlett's.

Our plan was to have 4-5 lyretails but unfortunately we rely on what is available to the importers and it's now a little over 5 months since lyretails were last on the 'list' with no sign of more coming in to the country at any point soon.

The muppets are settling in nicely, funnily enough even our lyretail is ok with them.

This is the head of their group:

KingMuppet.jpg

NewZealandReefie
Lyretails picky? Whaat? Mine are total pigs when it comes to feeding. :lol:

Maui is a pig but he'll eat heaps but only 2 types of food. We've tried to encourage him to eat other things as we're a bit worried he's not getting all the nutrients he needs from what he eats (cheapest flakes we own + frozen mysis) it just doesn't seem sufficient.

The other reason we'd like to see him go elsewhere is keeping an anthias on its own seems so wrong, we know there are a couple of other people around here that have schools of them so hopefully they'll take him home.

Cheers TMG :D

NewZealandReefie

Here are The Muppets, since we can't tell them all apart we've just been referring to them collectively, except four, he's a bit odd:

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

They officially eat anything :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

Ordered new carbon cartridge for RO/DI unit today, it's just over a year old now, $55.

Ordered new metal halide bulbs total of $414. Ouch. Need them badly though, been putting it off for a while but had to suck it up and put the order through today as couple of our sps are looking a bit sad and bleached now (the stylo and birdsnest in particular). Looking forward to getting everything back to top notch condition.

Didn't end up getting rid of Maui (the lyretail anthia) as we spent a little over three weeks trying to catch him and failed miserably. We had to go back to the store and pay for the last bartlet (we were going to do a straight swap, Maui for one of the bartlets).

We did get a little store credit to use for the last bartlet as we returned the urchin and dropped off a piece of hydnophora.

The urchin got a taste for coral. Any coral. All coral. Two days before we were able to take it back it ate so large chunks out of the edges of our lobo... not impressed. It also grew MASSIVE way way quicker than we expected (based on the research we did they don't usually grow terribly fast). A friend bought the other urchin that came in on the same day as ours and was the same size as ours originally. We took them home in the same week... his is still nearly the size it was when he got it, ours doubled in size till it was about 9" spine tip to spine tip. We had to take it back to the store in a bucket, wouldn't fit in the usual bags...

Anyhoo, that's enough for my boring photo-less update. No more photos till new bulbs are here next week!

NewZealandReefie

New bulbs arrived today. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Hold on corals, when I get home from work your #### awful ####ed lights are being replaced!

Have just sent shipping address off to a guy selling some awesome purple zoas and a frag of blue staghorn. Presents make for a happy Lou.

NewZealandReefie

Here's some photos...

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

kH is too low.

Got rid of the urchin.

Bought a new clown... and another 2 Bartlets.

That is definitely all the fish that are ever going in this tank.

In general all going well, new lights (as expected) are a great improvement.

NewZealandReefie
Looks great. What is the fish stock list at now?

Thanks Castiel, now we've just got to be patient and wait for all the corals to grow out. Next plan is to buy some new equipment to make dosing etc easier.

1x black 1x orange clown.

1x Dragon goby.

1x Orchid dottyback.

1x Tomini tang.

1x Lyretail Anthia.

6x Bartlets Anthia.

Nice bartletts! Also, love the purple hammer! I've tried to get my hands on a frag for quite some time now..

Thanks! :happy: . The hammer was given to us by a local reefer, he's got a huge colony of it. He's given us quite a bit of awesome stuff, like the lilac and white torch. Unfortunately neither customs nor the distance will allow me to post you a piece :( heh.

NewZealandReefie

Ordered a media reactor and bio-pellets on Monday night. They're due to arrive today or tomorrow :D

Next up is a new skimmer.

NewZealandReefie

Bio pellet reactor up and running in the sump :D

Next up we'll be building a new, bigger, sump to accommodate a bigger better skimmer.

Those plans are for next year though... after paying the years insurance premiums, car service, new glasses etc... lol.

NewZealandReefie

Heh, so get on and finish it then! The stand looks awesome.

Been having a few issues with water quality lately but it's my own fault, a couple too many fish for the level of filtration etc that we have. Hence the plan to build a bigger sump and get a much better skimmer. Here's hoping that the bio-pellets make a difference.

Thanks. I still am having a hard time settling on either white or black.

I fear running into the same problem as you. I want a good number of fish, but don't want to over do it.

NewZealandReefie

Heh yeah... the shoal of bartletts was my undoing but they're so damn cool they're worth the expense of building a new sump and buying better equipment.

NewZealandReefie

The new tiny clown is now known as Fanta.

For a while we were throwing around the idea of naming it something to match Jaffa but I'm caving to the superstition that fish named as a pair are doomed.

So Jaffa and Fanta it is.

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

Today we've ordered a few new things to upgrade the tank with.

Bubble Magus NAC66 skimmer and calcium reactor being the most important of the purchases.

In the next few days I guess we'll have to sort out getting the new sump built. The cabinet we have can fit a slightly larger sump and we're going to need the space for the reactor and the larger foot print of the new skimmer. Plus it'll just be nice to have some extra space.

In general the tank is running well. There were a few alkalinity swings but we've got the dosing etc under control now... at least well enough to last till the reactor arrives :D

Let me know how the nac6 is on the tank, I am setting up a 120 as well in the few weeks ahead and I was considering the nac6 as an option. I have a thread started but its very lonely in there :P

Tank is looking amazing, I hope mine looks this good :)

Archived