Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

reefer38's 38 gallon reef -HAWKFISH-

reefer38

the tank has been set up since october and the first corals were added in december.

EQUIPMENT:

GLO 36" double bulb T-5 HO

Penguin BIO-Wheel 350 power filter

Maxi-Jet 900 Powerhead

Aqueon 150 watt Heater

LR/LS:

about 35 lbs of live rock

about 35 lbs of live sand

CUC:

lots of hermit crabs

lots of dwarf cerith snails

5 nassarius snails

2 astraea snails

2 turbo snails

serpent star

brittle star

OTHER INVERTS:

tiger snapping shrimp (rocky)

FISH:

ocellaris clown (raarg)

yellow watchman goby (magill)

arc-eyed hawkfish (raider)

SOFT CORAL:

pulsing xenia

zoanthids (assorted)

mushrooms (assorted)

kenya tree

blue cloves

LPS CORAL:

acan (unknown)

MACRO ALGAE:

mermaids fan

halimeda

FTS as of 1/29/2011

0129011718.jpg

It's not that bad, refer38! I think a little re-scaping away from the glass wall could make it look better. Mine started just like yours, buddy :) BTW, very nice blue leg hermit crab.

It's not that bad, refer38! I think a little re-scaping away from the glass wall could make it look better. Mine started just like yours, buddy :) BTW, very nice blue leg hermit crab.

GAHH!! i just rescaped it a few days ago.. i will give it a week or so to decide if i like it. if it ends up that i do re-scape, what are some suggestions or aquascaping ideas?

and yes, i think that hermit was the best picture my poopy camera could ever take. lol

Scaping... it really goes down to your own preference. Me, i like to have all the rocks in the center of the tank, leaving a sand ring around. You can divide it into two islands, that can be nice too. Have a look at my tank. It's not that great but i'm pretty comfortable with the rockwork at this stage of the game.

i said it on your thread and i will say it on mine...

does everybody in the world own a yellowtail damsel? i've got no problem with them, its just funny how common they are.

got a new occellaris clown (named him raarg cause he is so ferocious) and moved the rocks with the mushrooms.

is it normal for my damsel to be a little aggressive towards the clown?

moving the aquarium so that its not as in the way.

so far i have put all the livestock and rocks (other than one big rock that wouldnt fit) into a temporary holding tub. (lol by tub i mean a big gladware thing) and moved the tank itself to the new location. i emptied most of the water from the tank and put some new water in. waiting for the temperature to get to about 78 degrees so that i can put the livestock back in. trying to decide on a new aquascape (luckily i dont have many corals yet so i can move most of the rocks easily)

here is some pics.

0205010119.jpg

0204012305.jpg

0204012306.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

TO THE TOP.

i was wondering how many fish is too many? i was thinking of adding a yellow watchman goby and a few (maybe four) damsels. would that be too big of a bioload? you can see what i already have in the tank in the first post up at the top.

I'd say the goby would be it, and thats still pushing it a bit. definitely no to more damsels; i find that gobies add very little to the bioload though, plus you already have the pistol.

its a good start' I like that big cave, right off center- good focal point!

thanks for the reply. i do need to buy a skimmer soon.. that should help with all the fish. i might get rid of the mollies though (cant really see them with the black background)

• 4 weeks later...

bumping in up for the re-scape and the new FTS

HPIM2784.jpg

but dont get used to it.. as soon as i re-scaped it i remembered im gonna have to take some LR out for my new 29g FOWLR (check it out)

in other news... one of the mollies disappeared and i moved the other to my freshwater tank cause it did nothing but poop :mellow:

and i am probably getting a YWG soon (my dad said it would be a reward for me if i pass the test for my learners permit to drive)

i've got bad news, and i've got news that neither good nor bad...

bad news: bob the lawnmower blenny has passed away :(

other news: my yellow tail damsel was bullying my clown so i moved it to the 29g FOWLR

just came back from the LFS with a little yellow watchman goby.

its already paired up with the tiger pistol.

the pistols name is rocky and the goby is magill, i wonder if any of you will get that reference...

(hint: its from a song)

new pictures!! still got an old crappy camera so they're not the best pics ever\

FTS 4/2/2011

HPIM2810.jpg

raarg the ocellaris clown

HPIM2799.jpg

nancy the yellow watchman goby (still trying to get a picture of the goby and the shrimp together)

HPIM2797.jpg

zoanthids

HPIM2816.jpg

just finished adding all the stuff from reefcleaners.org

you guys are great! i have no complaints what so ever, all though i am confused because i ordered the gorgonians and a couple mithrax crabs that didnt come in with the shipment (i will email them about that) im not upset that they didnt come, just confused.

i got plenty of hermits,

plenty of dwarf ceriths,

some nassarius snails,

some zoanthids,

and some macro.

once again, i am very pleased with reefcleaners, thanks!

i will post pictures as soon as i get a hold of my dads camera again

FTS 4/12/2011

100_1098.jpg

new zoas (can somebody ID?)

100_1100.jpg

thin stripe hermit

100_1101.jpg

hermit climbing on mermaids fan

100_1102.jpg

halimeda

100_1104.jpg

just finished adding all the stuff from reefcleaners.org

you guys are great! i have no complaints what so ever, all though i am confused because i ordered the gorgonians and a couple mithrax crabs that didnt come in with the shipment (i will email them about that) im not upset that they didnt come, just confused....

i emailed them and they gave me a refund for everything that wasnt shipped. once again i am very pleased with reefcleaners and i will hopefully order from them again so i can get the gorgonians

went to the LFS yesterday and picked up a little rock with two small kenya trees and a small acan frag.

i will post pictures as soon as they open up more

Archived