Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

kgoldy's completely custom display sump

kgoldy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collected LR from my curing tank downstairs...

IMG_20110215_213312.jpg

Layed down clear garbage bags- I'm kind oh hoping that the foam sticks to this really well- it'll make sealing with epoxy easier/less necessary.

IMG_20110215_213335.jpg

IMG_20110215_214936.jpg

IMG_20110215_214953.jpg

IMG_20110215_214945.jpg

IMG_20110215_214958.jpg

IMG_20110215_215006.jpg

Used the fish safe foam... I know the regular is fine, but this stuff is a little tougher and really designed for this type of application.

IMG_20110215_220857.jpg

Then picked some foam out from between the rocks with a plastic fork to rough it up and trim it back.

th_VID_20110215_220941.jpg

I kind of like the look of the black foam. I may not even epoxy/sand it.

Did a test fit... It looks pretty good the way it is- with the black foam between the rocks. Is it likely to grow coraline under the low power fuge lights?

Now I'm just wondering if it'd be a terrible idea to silicone it in place. As I anticipated, it's top heavy and leans away from the back glass wall of the fuge. Placing a few pieces of LR rubble under the front of the bottom piece of egg crate holds it back- but I imagine after time, the plastic will begin to flex and the rock wall will lean forward again.

I would silicone it...

I read through some rich Romanian guy's thread for his tank (huuuuuuuge) and he siliconed it all on.

This means you probably won't be able to change it later, but that's okay,

Actually, with all this talk of rock walls, I've really wanted to do one sometime. Now you have me all thinking to do one in my display sump...

maybe there's way to get it to hang on the wall. thus making it removable for cleaning & such, but close enough to not worry about things building up drastically between them.

Hmmm.. tough call on the sand. If you already have the materials, I say go for it. It'll look more natural in the meantime. Also while I'm sure that coralline will have no problem growing on the foam directly, I think it'll be a while before all the black is covered, if it ever even is.

Well, I decided to stick with the black. Siliconed the wall in place, and will trim back the egg crate after the silicone cures.

I'm going to try to find some fine grained black aragonite... And underneath it will be refugium mud. All the dark colors will help keep the refugium subdued during the day, so more focus will be brought to the display tank.

I\'m thinking of using this. One 20 lb bag should do it.

Item #: 10741

UPC: 029904107417

Grain size: 0.5-1.5mm

Packaged: 2-20 lb

(9.07 kg) Bgs/cs.

Net Weight: 40 lbs

18.14 kg Per cs.

Bio-Black-Beach2.jpg

Live sand will be over two bottles of these...

c.6388_Refugium_Mineral_Mud.jpg

Got the mud... had to order the aragonite. It'll be here on Tuesday.

I think this weekend the project will be getting wet. Just gotta find some plumbing supplies and I'm good to go!

• 3 weeks later...

This is what it looks like installed, with the addition of some LR rubble and a few large pieces of BRS Pukani dry rock. Still haven't decided on the macros that will go in there.

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg