the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20140209_102154.jpg

20140209_102129.jpg

20140209_102059.jpg

Well put more plants in for nutrient export.

See above^^

Hey, freshwater folks- What kind of CUC can I put in there considering I will NOT be changing water and will NOT be using carbon?

jedimasterben

Not really anything similar to saltwater CUC. You've got very limited choices. Shrimp are excellent (the betta may or may not eat them, it'll definitely eat bebehs), and you can have some snails, like apple or Malaysian trumpet snails.

As kat said, Otocinclus cats are suckermouths, so they'll rasp on film algaes - they also stay very small, only reaching around 1.5". Unfortunately, they do not ship well and need a large amount of algae, so in a tank that small you'd probably need to supplement their diet with veggies.

The problem putting shrimp in that tank with a betta is that the fish will most likely chase them out of the tank. I tried it several times and ended up with every shrimp lying outside the tank.

Oto cats are cool and would work, and a small mystery snail.

See above^^

Hey, freshwater folks- What kind of CUC can I put in there considering I will NOT be changing water and will NOT be using carbon?

I suggest nutrient export with an ungodly fast growing plant not limited by co2 consumption in water. Look up riparium supply and get a hanging basket kit, then purchase a Golden pothos (Scindapsus aures). Watch it grow like crazy sucking the poop out the water as it does.

Not really anything similar to saltwater CUC. You've got very limited choices. Shrimp are excellent (the betta may or may not eat them, it'll definitely eat bebehs), and you can have some snails, like apple or Malaysian trumpet snails.

As kat said, Otocinclus cats are suckermouths, so they'll rasp on film algaes - they also stay very small, only reaching around 1.5". Unfortunately, they do not ship well and need a large amount of algae, so in a tank that small you'd probably need to supplement their diet with veggies.

Think shrimps would be okay in this tiny, zero water-change tank (if they aren't getting chased out)? I saw little things that looks similar to the saltwater pods that I'm familiar with in a container with moss at the pet store. Unfortunately I didn't ask anyone at the LFS what they were... But pod type things was more of the CUC I was thinking of.

Ottocats sound cool, but increased feeding may not make it worth it to me.

The problem putting shrimp in that tank with a betta is that the fish will most likely chase them out of the tank. I tried it several times and ended up with every shrimp lying outside the tank.

Oto cats are cool and would work, and a small mystery snail.

Mystery snail sounds like a plus. I'm getting a little green film on the glass, so I could probably support one.

I suggest nutrient export with an ungodly fast growing plant not limited by co2 consumption in water. Look up riparium supply and get a hanging basket kit, then purchase a Golden pothos (Scindapsus aures). Watch it grow like crazy sucking the poop out the water as it does.

I used to grow pothos for the chameleon (aka worst pet ever) I had as a kid. I think that'd be a good thing to replace whatever random plant that I currently have in the top of my tank.

Thanks for the suggestions, errbody!

I see. I like.

Also. Ottocat for CUC.

Oto Catfish

Wait, are you naming one of my fish before I even consider getting it?

jedimasterben

Think shrimps would be okay in this tiny, zero water-change tank (if they aren't getting chased out)? I saw little things that looks similar to the saltwater pods that I'm familiar with in a container with moss at the pet store. Unfortunately I didn't ask anyone at the LFS what they were... But pod type things was more of the CUC I was thinking of.

As long as you didn't get any of the super high-dollar shrimp they'd be fine. Neocaridina shrimp are almost bulletproof.

There are freshwater copepods, but I haven't figured out a reliable way to add them, or I'd be all over dat shiiit.

Ottocats sound cool, but increased feeding may not make it worth it to me.

They're worth it. They're cute little dudes and dudettes.

Mystery snail sounds like a plus. I'm getting a little green film on the glass, so I could probably support one.

Should be good. Malaysian trumpet snails are awesome, too, because they breed very readily, so they will self-regulate to match the amount of algae you have. Lotsa algae = lotsa snails.

• 1 month later...

Hey N-R land! So, life has been crazy, as always, and will be getting crazier. I FINALLY moved the cabinet to check the hardwood floors... and...

Only minor damage. Most people wouldn't notice it, and it kind of blends with what would be expected of normal wear and tear. Compared to the monster claws that my dogs have, the fish tank hardly did a thing.

BTW, anyone looking to buy my cabinet, tanks, etc... They're obviously still available. Momma JUST bought a house in NC and will be moving down there as soon as possible, so, all fish stuff needs to be gone so the house can be on the market.

More updates later. Blue betta fish is happy and fat. All his plants are growing wonderfully. Still no shrimp or snails or bottom feeders.

I'm going back down to DC next week to Storm the Hill with Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. Expect some updates on that front as well.

Happy Reefing!

• 4 weeks later...

Saw that on your FB. Proud of you.

Thanks! It's amazing what you can accomplish when you give up your reefing addiction. Hahah

Archived