Top Shelf Aquatics

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

Sweet. Thanks Ball. At the airport now...

For some reason during my last trip i put a bunch of Euros in my passport... didnt realize this until security checked it and found the money... so from the birdseye camera it looked like a bribery attempt...

About to get a pat down now... haha.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
154.jpg

153.jpg

152.jpg

151.jpg

150.jpg

149.jpg

148.jpg

147.jpg

146.jpg

145.jpg

144.jpg

143.jpg

142.jpg

141.jpg

140.jpg

139.jpg

138.jpg

137.jpg

136.jpg

135.jpg

134.jpg

133.jpg

132.jpg

131.jpg

130.jpg

129.jpg

128.jpg

127.jpg

126.jpg

And I didn't finish! :lol:

Looking at these pics puts my tank into a new perspective for me (literally). Looking at it every day, it's hard to notice everything growing... but then i look at the full tank shots and I feel like all the hard work is paying off. :) Thanks again, Ball.

What a dump!!!! Man you gotta a lot of very cool and varied things in there. I've seen your vid of the tank a while back, but it's nice to see some detail in pics.

Good job Ballz on the assist.

Sweet. Thanks Ball. At the airport now...

For some reason during my last trip i put a bunch of Euros in my passport... didnt realize this until security checked it and found the money... so from the birdseye camera it looked like a bribery attempt...

About to get a pat down now... haha.

aiyaiyai

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh!! I'm alive!!

Words of wisdom- DO NOT go to Leh, Ladakh until tourist season starts. There is a reason for tourist season, and from now on, I will not travel to a remote region unless it's crowded with foreigners.

I made two promises to myself after leaving the Army- 1. Always sleep on a mattress (or at least a couch) 2. Always have a hot shower. This week, both promises were broken horribly. Hotels in the Indian Himalayas do not have heat, and hot showers simply do not exist because they turn on their boilers for only 4 hours each day (2 hrs at a clip), and they don't insulate their plumbing. My stay in Leh was like a deployment to Afghanistan in the winter, minus the shooting and roadside bombs. It was almost as scary, as it was crawling with the Indian Army, who completely lack discipline and muzzle awareness. AK-47's were slung over chests and shoulders in every direction but the safe ones.

I never thought I would be so happy to be back in Delhi in my girlfriend's no-air-conditioning apartment.

The first week we were in Sri Lanka, where everything is beautiful, and due to it's tax-haven status I'm considering just throwing everything away and moving there to start some sort of tour company. (Going there first was not my idea... and it made the Himalayas feel even colder). I went scuba-diving for the first time ever, and had a lot of fun despite unusually cloudy water and strong currents. Apparently scuba diving during a full moon is not the best time. I took a video and snapped some pictures... But had a hard time keeping myself off the rocks when I fudged with the camera, so what I managed to capture is probably poor quality photos... I'll upload some when I get home and see what we get.

The sun over Sri Lanka gives me a new respect for high wattage MH. With a UV rating of 12, I was getting sunburn from the reflection off the sand. Literally. Sunburned in the shade. Wearing SPF 50, it took less than two hours (45 minutes in the water/direct sun) for me to get what might have been the worst sunburn of my life. I'll see if I have any before and after pics to show the color difference... I went from marshmallow to tomato. After getting burned the first day, I was wearing board shirts for the rest of my time there with sun lotion underneath and was still scared of the sun. A week later and my skin is still peeling.

Throughout the vacation I took some awesome pics (minus the reef pics, which ironically suck,) and can't wait to post em in a few days. I fly out:

Delhi Indira Gandhi Intl (DEL) to New York John F Kennedy Intl (JFK)

Departure (DEL): April 16, 1:45 AM IST (morning)

Arrival (JFK): April 16, 7:25 AM EDT (morning)

I'll be home in the early morning on Monday... and don't know what to expect in terms of jetlag since this will be my first direct flight in this direction... Kat, let me know what I'm in for.

So- in the kgoldy's reef department... I'm def going to plan for a local tank sitter next time I go away. My brother was taking care of feeding and refilling the top-off water... But the ATO line clogged and my bro was left clueless as to what to do. When the water level got low enough to start sending bubbles into the display, he took a bucket of highly saturated kalkwasser and manually filled the water back to the normal level. Luckily I happened to go to an internet cafe two hours after he sent a frantic email. When I called him the water was clouded with precipitated calcium and the pH was up to 8.9. I assume it was even higher immediately after he dumped the kalk water in...

I told him to just grab whatever vinegar he could find and dump about a cup directly into the tank. Apple Cider Vinegar was all that was in the house... and the lucky guess of "about a cup" it brought the pH back down to 8.2. Bro can't tell coral from coralline, so he couldn't tell me how stressed everything looked...

I haven't heard from him since... so I can only assume either the tank is dead and he's afraid to tell me, or everything is fine. Sure hope the stress didn't make my anemones walk.. I'm guessing best case scenario that I only lost the rest of my acros. They don't like my dirty water anyway, so it wouldn't be a terrible loss.

Glad to see that OKT (Occupy Kgoldy's Thread) was going on even in my absence. :grouphug:

Kat, how long til your GB day? Indo-Pacific Sea Farms owes me some worms, so I'd like to see if anyone wants to do an order.

...Not sure if anyone on the thread knows but Kat... but I've got an evil plan to blow up my friend's ancient flip-phone that he keeps just to make all of his buddies mad... The ABC (as in pre- T9Word) texting drives us nuts. A ten word text is like 150+ clicks in rapid succession. Way ####ing annoying.

So, a week before I left for India, I bought a model rocket and a really over-sized motor for it. The thing is meant to carry a payload, so it's got a clear chamber. The short version of the plan- steal the phone, attempt to have Verizon copy the contacts onto one of our old phones, then put it in the clear chamber and call it within ear shot of my friend... As soon as he sees it, I hit the launch button. The parachute will be replaced with black powder and maybe some other goodies.

Most people would be alarmed if one of their friends started setting up a large rocket in their back yard randomly... But I am a man of many sudden and out-of-the-ordinary hobbies... So I expect this whole thing to go off without a problem.

While I've been vacationing I've had a lot of time to think about exactly how I'm going to this... I've got a bit of math to do to figure out exactly how much weight this particular motor can propel a safe distance into the sky... At the moment, I'm 'guestimating' it should safely carry upwards of 300 grams of additional weight, with the ~100 gram cellphone.

Anyway, I felt like I should explain this so that the following notes-to-self don't look like the ramblings of a terrorist.

Chemistry of Firework Colors

Large Dangerous Rocket Ships - Science Channel

Rising Star - The rocket I'm using...

AeroTech F32-4T 24mm Single Use Motor - The motor I'm using... As far as I can tell, it's the largest single use motor that I can fit in the rocket without destroying it in the process of launching it. One of the keys to this motor is the short 4 second "delay" before the parachute charge goes off... With the extra weight, I don't want to use a motor that has something like a 7-9 second delay, where it could fall back to earth before detonation.

COME BACK SOON!

Should I call your brother? Email me.

Do you have Ambien? Always works for direct flights. Or ask the pharmacist for 'calmpose'.

I forgot if west bound direct flights were 11 hours or 13, I like to stop in London and shop so I haven't done the direct flight in several years. But anyway eat a full meal, take something to help you sleep and tell the flight attendants not to wake you for food or beverage service and sleep through the flight. Make sure you have neck pillows.

Group buy is Saturday April 21. I'll post on the thread about IPSF

COME BACK SOON!

Should I call your brother? Email me.

Do you have Ambien? Always works for direct flights. Or ask the pharmacist for 'calmpose'.

I forgot if west bound direct flights were 11 hours or 13, I like to stop in London and shop so I haven't done the direct flight in several years. But anyway eat a full meal, take something to help you sleep and tell the flight attendants not to wake you for food or beverage service and sleep through the flight. Make sure you have neck pillows.

Group buy is Saturday April 21. I'll post on the thread about IPSF

Just spoke to brother. He says: "Fish are alive. Dogs are good, but they keep farting and stinking up the place."

I chose not to stop in London because I spent like $120 at the Oyster bar in the airport last time around...

Got some loverly trazadone for the sleepin. Should be good for at least 8 hours with a full pill. Stuff knocked me out pretty well on the way here.

Motor diameter 24mm

Motor length 3.75 inches

Motor weight 65 grams

Maximum Recommended Liftoff Weight 22 ounces

22 Ounces = 623.689508200 Grams

Rocket:

Length: 39.00" (99.06 cm)

Weight: 7.10 oz (201.28 g)

Diameter: 2.22" (5.64 cm)

Motor Size: 24mm

Recovery System: 32" plastic parachute

Manufactured by: Dynastar

Cellphone:

Size:87.7mm x 44mm x 15.9mm (3.45" x 1.73" x 0.63")

Weight:110 grams (3.9 ounces) with battery

623 (max)

-202 (rocket)

-65 (motor)

-110 (cellphone)

--------------

246 grams to play with.

How to make a sparkler (links to colors)

Rocket Motor Index

Compared to G55 single use motor

Aerotech G55 Aerotech F32

Manufacturer: Aerotech Aerotech

Short Name: G55 F32

Motor Type: single-use single-use

Delays: 5,10,15 s 4,6,8 s

Diameter: 24.0000 mm 24.0000 mm

Length: 117.0000 mm 90.0000 mm

Propellant Weight: 62.5000g 25.8000 g

Total Weight: 114.8000 g 65.0000 g

Average Thrust: 11.0163 lbs 7.0006 lbs

Peak Thrust: 19.0301 lbs 13.2098 lbs

Total Impulse: 119.5670 Ns 56.9240 Ns

Thrust Duration: 2.4400 s 1.8300 s

Alright, post India trip reef report...

RBTA split. One new clone has moved close to some of my favorite montipora...

Jawfish stole every frag that was loose in the tank. Killed a fancy mushroom or two. Also buried by blue hornet frag.

Pretty decent bryopsis breakout.

Evrything else looks great. Infact, it seems there was significant growth in much of the SPS.

Going to have to trim my chaeto real soon if anyone wants dibs.

India pics still uploading...

Here's some pics of the rocket I'm building to destroy my buddy's cell phone. I got this pretty sweet Nasa-approved rocket simulator, and figured out I can load this thing with like 450 grams of black powder and still get it to reach 1000 feet for detonation. :D

Taking recommendations for naming the rocket. Body will be black, nose, fins, and name will be painted bright yellow.

2012-04-17_16-28-42_0.jpg

2012-04-17_16-28-30_145.jpg

2012-04-17_16-28-32_586.jpg

2012-04-17_16-28-10_989.jpg

2012-04-17_16-28-09_282.jpg

2012-04-17_16-27-40_287.jpg

2012-04-17_16-27-33_329.jpg

2012-04-17_16-27-11_51.jpg

2012-04-17_16-27-04_128.jpg

Archived