Cultivated Reef

My 1/2g Dorm Reef

victor52

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click

to watch my tank. Some of the poylps are closed up becouse I dropped a chopstick while moving around stuff before the shoot.

crisis averted. Something spawned and made my water all white and stinky... I quickly did a 100% water change. Hopefully everything makes it okay. The birdnest already opened up a bit. Sadly the mili bleached a bit. :angry:. I have my suspicion on the sun coral.

Really cool little tank. Looks really nice. About the sun coral spawning, they spawn prenfertilized ova and they look like orange balls. So I doubt it was the sun coral. I would check if nothing is dying in the tank.

I don't think anything died. I run a little check list every once in a while and everything is in place and well.

I do have cheato in the back behind a rock. It did look a little discolored. I'm removing it now and placing it in a cup. I have never dosed.

This gave me a scare. Its never happened to me before.

edit: I just found, or rather have not found, that my orange mushrooms is missing; it was kinda big... should i assume it got chopped into clam chowder by my filter. I looked in the HOB filter and nothing.

will my aquarium be ok. Should I do another water change tomorrow. Every thing is looking well and fully expanded... except the mili; its extended but very discolored.

what about the evidence. should i take apart my filter in search the body so that it doesn't foul any more or is probably good to assume that it got slashed to the point of not physically finding it.

I hate this :tears:

If taking out the filter isn't hard, I would go ahead and check. You don't want anything getting stuck were the CUC can't get to it. Sorry RIP mushroom.

I will try tomorrow. To tell you the truth I really don't have much of a cleaning crew just two dwarf c snail. what do you guys recommend me getting... something that won't knock over my "aquascape". <_< Although it looks really bad I actually planned it out so that I could fit the max amount of coral while having as much rock as possible.

If the ceriths aren't stirring your sand enough get a nassarius vibes snail or two. They are one of my favorite snails for coloration and habits. They sift sand for detritus and look like rise of living dead when food is added to the tank.

for this tank i wouldnt put any nas. they need good feeding to stay alive in something this small, and a good amount of sand space. dirty sand? if its detritis syphon it out with the air tube like i said before.

• 3 months later...

Its doing fine. After coming home from school it went under a rescape becouse I couldn´t peice it like it was before. My plan of keeping it self sustained went pretty good. I could pretty much leave it alone for two weeks and nothing would happen. Its on a timmer and it really never needs a top off, just a weekly water change suffices till next week. I´ll put some up this week

brandon429

Vic can you post a pic man, its really helpful if so. it allows me to gauge the calcification in the reef after this many months on just water changes, its extremely helpful to know how different undosed pico reefs fare in terms of coralline growth and changes in live rock such as increased tubeworms (that comman calcium for tubes) or plating growths etc

• 7 months later...

hey guys, It's been a while since I've been on and I wanted to update because my tank will finally be turning a year old soon. The majority of the coral seems to be doing well, even with the on and off care I've given the tank. The only thing that didn't really make it where the sps. I had an incident when I lost power and many of them perished during... and if not soon thereafter. The frogspawn is doing fairly well and the zoas are going strong. Over all I'm glad with my little reef. I feel accomplished because I succeed in making a pretty much self sustained aquarium that can handle the riggers of being constantly moved back and forth from my dorm to my home.

Thanks for reading,

:D

no, not before the day is over, NAO!

we're all interested in seeing what this little tank has become. i bet its overgrown in zoas by now lol.

I promise to get some before the day is over.

Awesome!!

we're all interested in seeing what this little tank has become. i bet its overgrown in zoas by now lol.

+1

Archived