ReefCleaners.org

My 1/2g Dorm Reef

victor52

Here is my idea to the test!

I´m taking it on its first road trip from my home to school.

Here it is taped out so that I don´t spill any water in my dad´s car.

The plastic mouth wash cup is there to keep the rock from falling over

photo4kt.jpg

here some more tape shots with a peice of plastic cut to fit the opening

photo5lp.jpg

some shots of everything before careying it out to the car

photo6bm.jpg

photo7mj.jpg

photo8p.jpg

photo9lm.jpg

photo10qz.jpg

photo11ov.jpg

here is everything I need into two coolers

photo12xy.jpg

................................................................................

sister didn´t let me touch her camera so she took the pictures

photo13f.jpg

everything made it ok and tested the same as this morning before the move

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

k guys my new LEDs came in. They are amazing, the only problem that I see with them is they don't blend much. But we'll see what I could do with them after I play with them for awhile. I'll put up a couple pictures soon.

My float switch also came in I just need my relay to set that project up... for now i'll be topping like 3 times a day :angry:

I would realy like to thank Evil for help me on my LED build

hehe thanks :ninja:omgomgomg

I´m going to qoute this, hope you don´t mind

You kidding? You da man! I thought I was badass with a 1G...

You one crazy ass ninja! (watch the video)

Here is some updates on my little tank... he has come along way since I started.

Custom LEDs

snapshot201101216.jpg

Here is the tanks lit with them on the lowest possible setting

36115739.jpg

here he is at my dorm

22471995.jpg

I finally got some coral:

• 2 different Zoos
  • tiny Frogspwan
  • Xenia

cuc

• 2 dwarf cerinth snails

I would like to give thanks to gutterguy for giving me so many freebies... i just wanted a little peice of xenia and he sent me a those things on the list. Great guy

if the ceriths survive you wont regret them ;)

looks like the tank made the move well. how hot is the heatsink running after the LEDs have been on a few hours? also why the bathroom? you are not bothered by the chance of **** getting into your pico? random stuff like tap water, toothpaste,...**** lol

ya he made it ok...

about it being in the bathroom; the sink is out side of the bathroom so i don't think **** will get into it :o

I move it like every two days. Today I moved it next to the T.V. and I think this will be his final spot.

Its really simple to move. I just unplug everyting and lift it to its new spot.

I hope everything opens okay

edit: forgot about the LEDs

They produce no heat what so ever on my heatsink. they've been on all day and no heat

Where did you get that tank?

PS: Reef are considered animals, not plants :P So you can't really say you can keep reefs since they let you keep terrestrial potted plants.

Good that the sink isnt in the bathroom, and now the tank is out of there completely. you would be very surprised what kind of stuff is airborne in your bathroom. its very easy for that stuff to get into your tank in trace amounts at least.

Where did you get that tank?

PS: Reef are considered animals, not plants :P So you can't really say you can keep reefs since they let you keep terrestrial potted plants.

Um well I saw this tank in a friends house and always thought it would make a cute pico. I´ve been waiting for that Betta to kick it for the worse part of 2 years... finally as to were she got it, at a carnival, as to were they got it, i´m not to sure. Its a pretty weird dimension.

Good that the sink isnt in the bathroom, and now the tank is out of there completely. you would be very surprised what kind of stuff is airborne in your bathroom. its very easy for that stuff to get into your tank in trace amounts at least.

I imagine I saw an episode of myth busters.... were they but toothbrushes in a rest room and then tested how many air borne particles make they way onto them.... it was pretty gross :o

Pretty cool I must say!

thanks

here is my order I put on a while back on Mr. Coral.

• AWESOME STAR POLYPS

• BUNCH OF REDS MUSHROOM

• Orange Blue Zoas

• HAIRY MUSHROOM

• YELLOW POLYPS

• SWEET!!! Zoas

• GREEN PEOPLE EATERS

• KERMIT THE FROGS Zoas

• DRAGON EYES Zoas

• SPIDERMANS Zoas

• EZ'S PALYS

• SUN CORAL

• CRAZY CLOVES

now if I could only get ahold oh him to let him know i´m ready for them :(

I imagine I saw an episode of myth busters.... were they but toothbrushes in a rest room and then tested how many air borne particles make they way onto them.... it was pretty gross :o

Yep, that is exactly what i was thinking of once i saw that pico in the bathroom. Wasnt going to bring it up since i wasnt sure that you saw that episode, but now you say you did :P

you got a sun with all that? biggest issue is going to be space lol. if i imagine that hairy mushroom correctly, it will be 1/2 of your tank from the start and 200% of your tank within the first year :P But lets see what he sent you first before i make that judgment final lol.

does e. coli count as filter bacteria?

lol jk

really great job. that LED looks freakin powerful Id acclimate those corals with an increasing photoperiod up to the full 9 just my opinion. Nice travels what a great job

B

Well I know this and you know this but hopefully they wont know this :ninja:

Yep, that is exactly what i was thinking of once i saw that pico in the bathroom. Wasnt going to bring it up since i wasnt sure that you saw that episode, but now you say you did :P

you got a sun with all that? biggest issue is going to be space lol. if i imagine that hairy mushroom correctly, it will be 1/2 of your tank from the start and 200% of your tank within the first year :P But lets see what he sent you first before i make that judgment final lol.

I love Mythbuster its my all time favorite show.

I kinda like it cuz they get big, alomost like a gaint anenome with a little imaginary clown

i could always frag

does e. coli count as filter bacteria?

really great job. that LED looks freakin powerful Id acclimate those corals with an increasing photoperiod up to the full 9 just my opinion. Nice travels what a great job

B

Maybe it does :ninja: you never know anymore... its probably the best thing you can do for you tank and we dont even know

ya I blinded myself by accident the first day I got them. I plugged them in thinking they turn all instantly like other bulbs and when i went to check them for malfuction the light hit me..... all my friends laughed at me :angry: I went to orchestra feeling fuzzy and my stand partner kept looking at me becouse I was missing alot of notes...

seriously be carefull with these things

I wouldn't worry too much about having a tank that small in your dorm. Unless your RA (do you have one?) see it, knows what it is, and is a jerk about it, then the only other time someone may see it is on school breaks, which it sounds like you are taking it home anyway.

My RA actually turned me on to reefing in undergrad with a 12G salty he had, ha. Of course then he definitely didn't care if I kept fish!

ya I blinded myself by accident...

seriously be carefull with these things

Yeah gotta be pretty careful. Royal blue LEDs are particularly dangerous to your eyes. Don't look directly at 'em!

I wouldn't worry too much about having a tank that small in your dorm. Unless your RA (do you have one?) see it, knows what it is, and is a jerk about it, then the only other time someone may see it is on school breaks, which it sounds like you are taking it home anyway.

My RA actually turned me on to reefing in undergrad with a 12G salty he had, ha. Of course then he definitely didn't care if I kept fish!

Ya I have an RA... she's pretty cool, um I think, don't know her to well.

I wish I had a reefer localy :(

lol.

Tank looks good with the lights though!

Thanks they sure do make a difference...at first I hated the shimmer effect, but now I see my dads freshy and find it unatural.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I got ahold of Mr. Coral and my order should come this wends. omgomgomg

if you find it unnatural, then your dad needs to put MH over his FW lol.

Ya right that would burn the retinas off his goldfish. B)

Guess what guys, all my coral came in....OMG ammazzzing.

I'm so excited for everything to open up... YAY omgomgomg

The tank looks like something now.

You guys are going to laugh but my RA came in today for this semesters first inspection and it was while i was unpacking all the coral :huh: . She was like that is "So cool." I'm so happy she likes it and that I won't have to pay a violation fine. :scarry:

Here is a photo. Sorry I can't get a close up untill my roomate comes becouse he has a camera.

snapshot201101262.jpg

Here it is with some coral semi open...

img00137201101261901.jpg

img00137201101261901.jpg

img00139201101261901.jpg

img00140201101261901.jpg

img00141201101261901.jpg

sorry I couldn't get ahold of a camera so I just used my phone

Archived