inTank Media Baskets

Problem with inTank basket NC28

HG Thrower

the pump for my reactor

Does the flow improve when the reactor is off? The chamber of this tank are so skinny that more pumps may cause a problem. What happens when the basket is empty? Now start from the bottom and fill up with media that should route your problem. Some spill over is fine with these skinny chambers and a 4 sided basket it isn't a big deal. Also if it is so severe in your tank because of the setup what happens if you remove the door?

Does the flow improve when the reactor is off? The chamber of this tank are so skinny that more pumps may cause a problem. What happens when the basket is empty? Now start from the bottom and fill up with media that should route your problem. Some spill over is fine with these skinny chambers and a 4 sided basket it isn't a big deal. Also if it is so severe in your tank because of the setup what happens if you remove the door?

Thanks Stevie. I am not having any problems when I run it without the filter floss or a brand new piece of filter floss

What I see happening and I have to go back to when I first started to use a media basket is that the floss clogs up so quickly in the beginning. Because you were not using something that completely forced all water through floss before you will catch all that crap in your tank. After a while that slows down because of the constant use of floss and the basket. Makes you think how much junk was in the water.

Also, make sure you turn the pumps off when feeding, otherwise all that clogs up the floss faster.

What I see happening and I have to go back to when I first started to use a media basket is that the floss clogs up so quickly in the beginning. Because you were not using something that completely forced all water through floss before you will catch all that crap in your tank. After a while that slows down because of the constant use of floss and the basket. Makes you think how much junk was in the water.

Also, make sure you turn the pumps off when feeding, otherwise all that clogs up the floss faster.

Alright - maybe i'll just give it some more time. I will probably downgrade my pumps to the MJ 600 as well

• 3 months later...

I would agree that the filter floss does clog up fairly quickly (good news is it does capture a lot of crap). Does help to turn off pumps when feeding. I usually rinse floss out every other day and seems to work well with that schedule.

That said, even when tying the Chemi-Pure to the 2nd shelf to suspend it off the 3rd shelf, it does limit the flow somewhat. Just might be too large for the smallish chamber. Think I'll opt for a high grade carbon in a smaller bag...

Archived