Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

rb1685's Rimless BC14 - 3.5 Years and counting

rb1685

I considered that, but it seems they had plenty of algae to eat. The Astreas are still munching away, so it seems there was plenty to eat. Perhaps there's a different type of algae the Nerites prefer, which my tank lacked. I feed the tank daily a little bit of brine shrimp, with alternation of some flake food every couple of days. The food is mostly for the Royal G., but the Nassarius have some lunch out of it too.

I could be very wrong, but I thought those snails really dont eat algae. They eat leftover food on the sandbed. These are the ones that rise from the sandbed when food is fed to the tank, correct?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could be very wrong, but I thought those snails really dont eat algae. They eat leftover food on the sandbed. These are the ones that rise from the sandbed when food is fed to the tank, correct?

That would be the Nassarius snails. The nerites are the little blue/green ones that clean mostly the glass. See Post 18

That would be the Nassarius snails. The nerites are the little blue/green ones that clean mostly the glass. See Post 18

Ah, wrong snail that starts with an "N". What is your Mg level? Mg levels can affect snails.

Ah, wrong snail that starts with an "N". What is your Mg level? Mg levels can affect snails.

Hmm. Looks like I'll be buying a Magnesium test this weekend.

Yeah, I'll see what I can find. I noticed last night that my dKH was kinda low. between 7 and 8. Any reccomendations for bringing it up a tidge?

do you know if Kevin @ AAF has any Ricordea? I want to get a couple of corals this weekend, and I really want one.

Yeah, I'll see what I can find. I noticed last night that my dKH was kinda low. between 7 and 8. Any reccomendations for bringing it up a tidge?

do you know if Kevin @ AAF has any Ricordea? I want to get a couple of corals this weekend, and I really want one.

I use Tropic Marin Bio Calcium to maintain both dKH and Calc. You prolly can dose like 1/2 tsp and see where that gets you. Test a couple hrs later after dosing though. Or do a water change with water at a higher dKH.

I havent seen any ricordeas at AAF in a long time. Not sure why he doesnt carry them. I actually have a plain green one if you are interested. Its getting no love in my tank and is under a ledge getting barely any light. Let me know if you want it.

I use Tropic Marin Bio Calcium to maintain both dKH and Calc. You prolly can dose like 1/2 tsp and see where that gets you. Test a couple hrs later after dosing though. Or do a water change with water at a higher dKH.

I havent seen any ricordeas at AAF in a long time. Not sure why he doesnt carry them. I actually have a plain green one if you are interested. Its getting no love in my tank and is under a ledge getting barely any light. Let me know if you want it.

Cool. I forgot the name of that powder you used. I haven't seen any rics at any FS I've been to in the Houston area. I found a guy in N. Houston who has some nice zoas & palys I might buy this weekend, but I'll let you know about your green Ric.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went on to Mexico last week, and when I came back my Royal Gramma has what looks to be the Ick. Any recommendations on treatment? I'm going to browse around the forum during my lunchbreak too.

So I went on to Mexico last week, and when I came back my Royal Gramma has what looks to be the Ick. Any recommendations on treatment? I'm going to browse around the forum during my lunchbreak too.

Just a heads up, AAF should have some rics this Saturday, get there early if you want the nice ones.

As for your fish with ich, not sure what you can use to get rid of it thats reef safe. Can you quarantine it?

Just a heads up, AAF should have some rics this Saturday, get there early if you want the nice ones.

As for your fish with ich, not sure what you can use to get rid of it thats reef safe. Can you quarantine it?

Hmm, I might have to consider making the trip down there. I still haven't been able to glue your birdsnest to the top rock. The polyps are full extended, but it has very little pink left. That GSP has exploded.

I don't have a quarantine tank set up, but I'd be willing to do one. I'm not really sure if I need to cycle the tank first or not though. I've read that just a 10 gal with light and HOB filter will suffice. I have about 5 lbs of substrate and a giant conch shell for protection. I'm going to go to the LFS and Petsmart tonight to see what I can do.

Hmm, I might have to consider making the trip down there. I still haven't been able to glue your birdsnest to the top rock. The polyps are full extended, but it has very little pink left. That GSP has exploded.

I don't have a quarantine tank set up, but I'd be willing to do one. I'm not really sure if I need to cycle the tank first or not though. I've read that just a 10 gal with light and HOB filter will suffice. I have about 5 lbs of substrate and a giant conch shell for protection. I'm going to go to the LFS and Petsmart tonight to see what I can do.

Yea, the Birdsnest will color up once it gets better light.

For the quaratine tank, no substrate needed. The tank itself should be bare excpet maybe a hiding place for the fish. I am not sure on the cycle part. If you pull water from your main tank into the quarantine tank, maybe not. Do some reading up on that cause I am not totally sure.

I set up a QT last night. I had a dry giant conch shell I found in Mexico, and a piece of dry Tonga. I hope to catch Ferdinand during my lunch break. I hope it's not too late :(

I knew I shouldn't have named my creatures, lest I get attached to them so.

Ok here is what I have found for research on a QT

No substrate

No live rock

Dont need a light if you are just QTing fish

Do need a filter

Use tank water to fill the tank first

Put a sponge in your tank for a week or so to get biological filtration

Get a few PVC pipes for the fish to hide

A heater

Test kits

Probably you will be dosing copper if the fish has ick so get a copper test kit too. Also once you start dosing you will be losing your beneficial bacteria so a sponge you probably wont need. You will have to do regular water changes every few days to keep the ammonia down. Also can use prime to bring it down too but water changes are best.

I dont remember if you have any other fish in your tank but if you do pull them out and QT as well. To rid ick in your tank you will have to have it stay fish free for at least 6 weeks but from what I have read around 12 weeks is best. Now I am no expert this is just what I have gathered from doing research when I was going to set one up. So hopefully other can add their experiences and correct me if I am wrong about something. Good Luck!

So I set up a 10 gallon QT Tuesday. Once I finally got the tank up to temp (the heater doesn't have numbers), I couldn't get the fish from his hiding spots. He has two really good hiding spots in the LR. I tried putting some food in the tank right in front of his cave, and he wouldn't come out. I'll keep the QT up and running until either I catch him, or he dies. I'm hoping for the former.

On a lighter note, I finally got a solid ID on the crazy worm that I have in my LR. It's a peanut worm. Those things are freaking psycho!

All of my zoas seem to be doing well, and I do intend to have pics up soon.

Yes, pics of the zoas please!

I hope you catch your fish soon. I'm keeping my sponge in the back of my cube just in case I ever have to set up a QT tank. Which reminds me...I need to go and rinse that today.

Well, Ferdinand the Royal Gramma is officially dead. I ultimately could not get him out of the rock, so the QT was pointless. There wasn't much left of him, so at least I know I have some good scavengers in the tank. I'm watching the ammonia levels closely.

Here's some new pics of the tank.

FTS 2-25-2011

post-55375-1298639782_thumb.jpg

Bam Bam, Fire & Ice, and Blue Anthelia

post-55375-1298639819_thumb.jpg

Fire & Ice and some other green zoa (ID needed)

post-55375-1298639882_thumb.jpg

Another unknown Zoa (Purple People Eater?)

post-55375-1298639947_thumb.jpg

I really like the GSP shelf, but it is casting a "flow shadow" on the sand. You can actually see a distinct outline of brown on the sand underneath it. Aside from removing this dead monti, any suggestions on how to get rid of the brown algae?

I really need to know how to attach zoas to the LR. I hate frag plugs, and two of my zoa frags are on snail shells. I'm afraid the hermit is going to find a new decorative home with these laying about.

This weekend marks the 2 month birthday of the tank.

Well, Ferdinand the Royal Gramma is officially dead. I ultimately could not get him out of the rock, so the QT was pointless. There wasn't much left of him, so at least I know I have some good scavengers in the tank. I'm watching the ammonia levels closely.

Sorry to hear about "Kelsey" Royal Gramma aka Ferdinand. Make sure not put another fish in there for like 2-3 months. Did you figure out why he got ich? Like what stressed him out? Why didnt you move the rocks to try to get him out?

I really like the GSP shelf, but it is casting a "flow shadow" on the sand. You can actually see a distinct outline of brown on the sand underneath it. Aside from removing this dead monti, any suggestions on how to get rid of the brown algae?

This algae will soon go away or your snails should take care of it. Otherwise, you could siphon it up during a water change.

I really need to know how to attach zoas to the LR. I hate frag plugs, and two of my zoa frags are on snail shells. I'm afraid the hermit is going to find a new decorative home with these laying about.

If I were you, get some aquastik epoxy, I know they have it at AAF cause I just bought some. I like this better than the holdfast epoxy because its easier to work with and instead of white its a purplish color, so it looks like coraline algae. I am still waiting for some of that white to be covered by coraline algae! Then get yourself some superglue gel, make sure its gel. If its on a frag disc/plug/shell/rock, just add superglue to the disc/plug/shell/rock, then put a little expoxy over the superglue, then put a little superglue on the epoxy and place it in the tank where you want it to go. If its not on a disc/plug/shell/rock, I've used superglue gel to get it on a disc/plug/shell/rock, then repeated the steps mentioned before to place it where I wanted it. I dont like plugs either, so if I get a coral that comes on a plug, I usually cut the plug part off so I have a mini disc to work with.

Guide to glue Frags

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148730

I'm sorry to hear about Ferdinand. :(

Tank's looking good though. I actually like that shelf of GSP and your growing collection of zoas. Are you thinking of scattering them about or making a zoa garden? Also, are Blue Anthelias the same thing as blue cloves? I've always liked those. :)

Sorry to hear about "Kelsey" Royal Gramma aka Ferdinand. Make sure not put another fish in there for like 2-3 months. Did you figure out why he got ich? Like what stressed him out? Why didnt you move the rocks to try to get him out?

This algae will soon go away or your snails should take care of it. Otherwise, you could siphon it up during a water change.

If I were you, get some aquastik epoxy, I know they have it at AAF cause I just bought some. I like this better than the holdfast epoxy because its easier to work with and instead of white its a purplish color, so it looks like coraline algae. I am still waiting for some of that white to be covered by coraline algae! Then get yourself some superglue gel, make sure its gel. If its on a frag disc/plug/shell/rock, just add superglue to the disc/plug/shell/rock, then put a little expoxy over the superglue, then put a little superglue on the epoxy and place it in the tank where you want it to go. If its not on a disc/plug/shell/rock, I've used superglue gel to get it on a disc/plug/shell/rock, then repeated the steps mentioned before to place it where I wanted it. I dont like plugs either, so if I get a coral that comes on a plug, I usually cut the plug part off so I have a mini disc to work with.

Guide to glue Frags

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148730

Yeah i don't plan on adding another fish for awhile. It tends to complicate things and I want a solid tank before adding another fish. Plus I hear that a fishless tank will starve the ick parasite. When I was in Cozumel, my tank apparently had a heat spike. My aunt was watching the tank for me and said it got up to 82 one day (I keep it at around 78.5), so I'm guessing this is what triggered the parasite. I didn't want to move the rocks because my rockscape is a total jigsaw puzzle. Once I move one rock, it never goes back the same way. Plus, the fish was under the bottommost rock, so I would have had to dissassemble the entire scape to get him out.

For the zoas, I was wondering if I could just glue them directly to the LR, without an intermediate plug. I'm going to put them all in the same area of LR, and I don't want any unnecessary appendages.

I'll probably be coming to AAF tomorrow. Do you know what time he opens/receives the coral shipment?

I'm sorry to hear about Ferdinand. :(

Tank's looking good though. I actually like that shelf of GSP and your growing collection of zoas. Are you thinking of scattering them about or making a zoa garden? Also, are Blue Anthelias the same thing as blue cloves? I've always liked those. :)

Yeah it makes me sad. It seems silly to get attached to a fish, but he was always in the front of the tank waiting for me when I walked in the front door. :(

I think Blue Anthelias are the same as Blue Cloves. The guy I bought the zoa frags from had Blue Anthelia all over his tank. Apparently they reproduce easily in captivity, and they're kinda cool looking.

I plan to get some rics this weekend, either from the store or from the same guy who sold me the zoas.

For the zoas, I was wondering if I could just glue them directly to the LR, without an intermediate plug. I'm going to put them all in the same area of LR, and I don't want any unnecessary appendages.

I'll probably be coming to AAF tomorrow. Do you know what time he opens/receives the coral shipment?

Yea you could glue them directly to the rocks, it would be easier if you took the rock out of the water though.

AAF opens at 10am on Saturday. I think he gets his shipment in on Wednesday and Fridays.

Some new acquisitions this weekend:

Two heads of Ricordea with some more Anthelia (Is that cheato growing on the LR behind? I know its some kind of macro algae)

post-55375-1298985923_thumb.jpg

Armor of God Zoa (?)

post-55375-1298985938_thumb.jpg

Not sure what kind this is

post-55375-1298985947_thumb.jpg

Another three heads of Ricordea with some more Anthelia

post-55375-1298985968_thumb.jpg

a baby Ricordea Yuma

post-55375-1298985975_thumb.jpg

I got the last round of frags all mounted and secured. I glued them to pieces of dead coral I found in Mexico, so no more frag plugs W00T! :happy: . I also moved the birdsnest up to the peak, so hopefully it will get a little of its color back. One of these days I'm going to post my zoa pics in the ID forum to get a positive id on all of these things. I have like six different kinds now.

Oh and apologies for the ugly diatom growth on the sand.

Archived