Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

rb1685's Rimless BC14 - 3.5 Years and counting

rb1685

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's too bad! You didn't find any remains at all?

Nothing. Totally vanished. My rockwork has lots of hiding places and caves, so it either jumped out and was eaten by the cat, eaten by one of my LPS, or it is still in hiding.

• 4 weeks later...

After over two and a half years, I finally got around to replacing my heater and return pump. Peace of mind is nice. B)

I'm grabbing a new Cobalt Neotherm tomorrow myself! As I understand it the chances of them failing in the "on" position is much less than traditional heaters.

I'm grabbing a new Cobalt Neotherm tomorrow myself! As I understand it the chances of them failing in the "on" position is much less than traditional heaters.

I like the Cobalt heaters, but I can't justify the price. I have had no issues with my Eheim Jaeger, so I opted for another. I might get the Cobalt if I ever get around to setting up my 40B.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if you have any advice on de-rimming? Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.

The only thing I would've done differently was use a wider dremel bit. The bit that I used was too narrow to get right up close to the frame - the drill prevented me from getting the bit perpendicular to the frame. It would have been enormously easier in an empty tank too. I had to tape cellophane wrap on top of the water to prevent too much debris from getting in the tank. As far as advice goes, I just say go slowly and take your time. It's an easy, but time consuming job, and if you try to force it, the glass could crack.

• 1 month later...

This morning I spotted the first Asterina star I've seen in my tank in almost a year - except it was only half of one and it was HUGE. Hands down the largest Asterina I've ever seen. If it were whole, it would've been about as big as a quarter in diameter. I'll try to get a picture if I see it again.

• 4 weeks later...

So my tank just had it's 3rd birthday this week. It's been a pretty stable little tank, with a few losses here and there. My montiporas have pretty much taken over, so I'm either going to sell them as colonies or frag them out. I've had a recent bloom of cyano that I'm trying to battle, but it kinda comes and goes. 2014 may be a year of change for this tank. I'm either going to upgrade, or break it down and start something new.

I need a decent camera. All shots taken with poopy old iPhone 4

FTS 1-5-2014

IMG_2266_zpsd0316897.jpg

Angled FTS

IMG_2268_zpsbf6d7d50.jpg

The purple monti is starting to grow into the glass. It's getting a nice flat edge :)

IMG_2269_zpsb000883a.jpg

Obscene growth on the birdsnest

IMG_2271_zps54dd17f7.jpg

Some un-ID'd acro and the two other monti colonies

IMG_2272_zps0dc8ab53.jpg

Blurry top-down

IMG_2274_zps9e379ecd.jpg

• 4 months later...

I need to take some new pics. The tank is doing well. I lost my un-id'd acropora to STN. I'm looking into a doser, as I think the STN is being caused by fluctuations in Alk/Ca. My birdsnest has pretty much doubled in size since the last round of pics.

defender.TX

Man those Monti Caps are nuts. I love it. Birdsnest looks great as well. I don't know why but I'm just now seeing those updates.

Man those Monti Caps are nuts. I love it. Birdsnest looks great as well. I don't know why but I'm just now seeing those updates.

I split the monti's off. The small piece of purple monti in the top right hand corner is about to get sold too. For some reason, these things grow like weeds in my tank. I'll try to get some new pics up soon. T

Thanks for being the only one to comment on my thread. Lol

Someone needs to come up with a good aquarium photography app for iPhone 5. Anyway, here're some pics at food time:

IMG_2659_zps4754a298.jpg

IMG_2661_zps275b96cd.jpg

STN'd Acro :(

IMG_2663_zpsdc3bbdda.jpg

IMG_2662_zpsc9623b8e.jpg

GSP taking over the back wall.

IMG_2664_zpsc54ccc17.jpg

IMG_2666_zps2e8a70c0.jpg

defender.TX

I split the monti's off. The small piece of purple monti in the top right hand corner is about to get sold too. For some reason, these things grow like weeds in my tank. I'll try to get some new pics up soon. T

Thanks for being the only one to comment on my thread. Lol

Man I would love a Monti frag if you've ever got extras :D . Tank still looks great!

Man I would love a Monti frag if you've ever got extras :D . Tank still looks great!

That would be cool. If you want to meet up halfway in LaGrange, or if you're up for a daytrip, I'd be happy to sell you a frag. I'll throw in a birdsnest frag too. LOL

SouthFlorida_Tron

I would say that acro (which looks like my valida acro) got overtaken by the BoP and Cap!?

I would say that acro (which looks like my valida acro) got overtaken by the BoP and Cap!?

I don't think so. Pretty much every acro I've ever had in this tank has STN'd. I've never been able to nail down the problem, though I've pretty much chalked it up to Ca & Alk swings. I'm trying to justify a Bubble Magus Doser, or I may just keep soft & LPS corals. They seem to do much better in my tank that SPS (monti's aside).

Or I may just wait to get one for my big tank upgrade later this year. I'm saving for a CAD Lights 100gal. I may get them to build me a custom 150 peninsula, somewhat like Urbaneks' current build.

Go big or go home. Lol. I want Tangs.

finally long term proof you can de rim these!

I've had the tank de-rimmed for over a year. It's been through two major moves, and still survives (with a few casualties albeit). I honestly think these tanks look soooo much better without the rim. The curved glass really adds to the rimless-ness too. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Did my first ca, alk, and mag test in months this evening. Ca was 300, alk was 3.2, and mag was 1050. I think I need to start dosing....

:o

• 3 weeks later...
fishybusiness11

Did my first ca, alk, and mag test in months this evening. Ca was 300, alk was 3.2, and mag was 1050. I think I need to start dosing....

:o

I'd say so!

Archived