Top Shelf Aquatics

Topless 20k Halide BC14 Now With Reefbrite Actinics!

Formula462

Formula462

I need to get a mod to this to the members aquariums section if possible.

I need to get a mod to this to the members aquariums section if possible.

FxCam_1304968132068.jpg

Here is a crap phone pic of my tank. Even with my real camera I am having a hard time with the white balance when shooting the phoenix bulb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT WHITE BALANCE ON CAMERA?? i have same problem when taking pics with my cannon t2i tho dont know enough bout settings to fix.

i like your scape a lot....kinda regretting the super full look of mine now i like the rocks outta sand look and the bonsai type feel. tho less room for adding corals (may be a good thing )!!!

any mods?

what kinda salt are you using?

keep the update pics coming

Formula462
DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT WHITE BALANCE ON CAMERA?? i have same problem when taking pics with my cannon t2i tho dont know enough bout settings to fix.

i like your scape a lot....kinda regretting the super full look of mine now i like the rocks outta sand look and the bonsai type feel. tho less room for adding corals (may be a good thing )!!!

any mods?

what kinda salt are you using?

keep the update pics coming

I did figure out some things with my Nikon but all these are phone pics because my pc is currently offline so I can't upload pics from my dslr. I use Tropic Marin Reef Pro for my salt mix and keep it at 1.025-26.

I have always been a fan of the "bonsai" style. Very minimal, almost like a desert oasis. All my tanks in the past were jammed with rocks on top of rocks so I wanted something different with this one. I am looking for another good rock to add an arc or shelve to the back but its a picky process. Thank you for checking it out. Oh and the tank is modded just about every way you can mod a biocube. I have an empty 75G, I just really love nanos and my bc especially.

Formula462

So I think I am gonna start looking into some two part cal/alk doses for nanos. Ever since I added the montis(giants) and pocillopora I have noticed a small dip in calc levels, nothing major but definitely different. I have been hearing from multiple sources including my coworkers that TM Pro Reef is pointless wihout a calc reactor and actually hinders calcium absorption. I may just switch to Bio Activ and see if wc's alone bring up cal/alk first.

So I think I am gonna start looking into some two part cal/alk doses for nanos.

It wouldn't hurt to have a 2 part around. They are not that expensive, and a quick fix is something is low.

Tank is looking good. I have some zoas on that same kinda skeleton piece. They once covered it, until a peppermint shrimp decided otherwise.

Formula462
It wouldn't hurt to have a 2 part around. They are not that expensive, and a quick fix is something is low.

Tank is looking good. I have some zoas on that same kinda skeleton piece. They once covered it, until a peppermint shrimp decided otherwise.

Thanks man I run a tight ship with the tanks parameters and I run chemi pure in the back chamber. Sucks about those zoas, that's why I don't usually keep many shrimp in my systems. I may add a sexy pair but still undecided. My colony came with a 5 inch Notospermus Tricuspidatus. I might wanna catch him out before considering adding any other inverts.

Formula462

I picked up Kent Nano A-B calc/alk dosing kit from work yesterday. I did a large wc and dosed afterwards. In 2 weeks those montis and pocillopora droppped my calcium from 420 to 340 and my kh from 9 to 6.5-7. Much bigger drops than expected. Its 90% the montis though. The pocillo could actually look better, but its been crab flipped about nine times since I've had it. The caps grow at an unreal pace.

Formula462

I am having good success in bringing my Cal/Alk levels up to par with the Kent Nano 2 Part. Only thing looking iffy is the green pocillopora but it's been crab flipped like 10 times since I have it so it's no real surprise. It still pisses me off when that ONE coral has to be lackluster in an otherwise healthy/thriving setup. (cliche word usage) I still need one more perfect piece of arching LR to go up that back wall. I need a little more verticality I feel.

Formula462

i am just rambling on I know but I have been noticing that slowly over time, my Favia is lightening in color. It started a deep glowing green. in our store it was under t-5s with a healthy amount of actinic. Under the halide it is growing well(for Favia) but not quite as "green". I am accrediting this to the fact that Favia like this one are often a deeper water coral and the brightness is causing a little bit of a color change. I may move him under shade but its on a frag disc ( a ####ing hard to trim one at that) so I might just give it to doctareefer since coralife decided to destroy his tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Really need to get a better FTS up that actually do this little setup justice. Picked up a couple of new zoanthid colonies though, and that always makes me happy. I also need to link my thread into my sig but I am having a hard time with it ( sucking at internets today)

CSC_1131.jpg

Crappy FTS from my cell phone. Still need more vertical structuring to move the montis higher up and add some ORA frags. The pocillopora is the only thing looking sub par, I believe he would enjoy being higher up to the surface.

FxCam_1309291702522.jpg

As it turns out my clown goby is nipping at my green pocillopora, that would explain its rapid declining in polyp extension. it still looks alive, but no PE. I have not had problem with any other corals (lps, softies) or even my monti. Wonder if I should move her over to my other tank. There is an ORA Borealis with my name on it at work.

Builder Anthony

Lol ya i know.My sps browned out after fraging but my yellow clown doesnt really seem intrested in it anymore.When i first added it it was all over that thing but i think it also triggered something in my goby it started rubbing on it as if it was intrested in making a nest.Since then its been tryen to hook up with the other clown goby.That was never like that before it used to just chase it.Or it could just a fluke of timing.I know they lay eggs on the undersides of acros though.

Formula462
Lol ya i know.My sps browned out after fraging but my yellow clown doesnt really seem intrested in it anymore.When i first added it it was all over that thing but i think it also triggered something in my goby it started rubbing on it as if it was intrested in making a nest.Since then its been tryen to hook up with the other clown goby.That was never like that before it used to just chase it.Or it could just a fluke of timing.I know they lay eggs on the undersides of acros though.

Yeah I know in the wild they nest and perch on big acro colonies. He sits atop my monti cap most of the time. But I have witnessed him nip at the pocillopora several times now. This would explain why it is still alive minus the polyps. It's not so nice to look at anymore. I really want this ORA Borealis Acro frag from work but I can't have the YCG nippin' things up.

• 4 weeks later...

I really need to update this thread but not a whole lot has changed other than massively noticeable montipora growth. Oh and some new zoas. Still need to get that possum wrasse though. Effin big pods are annoying me.

FxCam_1311268952359.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After adding the new large centerpiece of LR that the monti sits on now, my alk has raised itself 2 pts in 4 days. Turns out it was hurtin for some buffering capacity. Still several of those huge orange pods running around. They went ape#### when I started turning rocks over. If I wasn't so broke from school and credit card bills I would have that wrasse already.

At the same time though, I am not so upset that the zoas on that one rock were being ravaged. In their place a nice yellow sponge colony is starting to take off.

olemanwinter
Who is the best mod to ask to move this to the members section? Not that anyone would look at it there either lol.

I was going to ask the same thing but didn't want to sound vain. lol thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to linking my thread to my SIG..YAAA. Time for a beer. Need to update with some pics from the Nikon and not these HDR pics from my DroidX. Any thoughts as to how it is filling out?

Archived