Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

chippwalters

Wow. Just finished this jaw-dropping amazing thread-- and boy is it chock full of super helpful advice. I've recently purchased my own 60-F and hope to be setting it up in the coming months. I originally chose this same ADA tank based upon this video:

The originator is George and he had a small thread here (user digi). George has his ADA hooked up to a fuge AND a sump-- pretty interesting. I'll also be drilling mine for bulkhead overflow. I'm also interested in learning more about the xaqua in/out (

), don't know if you've seen it?

I recently built my own Mame style overflow for my Pico and was amazed at the positive results adding another couple of gallons to the existing 3.5 PLUS the chaeto. Much better water quality!

This thread has been most helpful. In particular the information regarding cameras and water quality. Thanks a bunch. I'll be following from now on!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teamschreiba
whats the second green one? I see at my LFS all the time

I really don't know exactly what it's called and I haven't seen too many pictures of SPS like it. Sorry I can't help!

teamschreiba
Wow. Just finished this jaw-dropping amazing thread-- and boy is it chock full of super helpful advice. I've recently purchased my own 60-F and hope to be setting it up in the coming months. I originally chose this same ADA tank based upon this video:

The originator is George and he had a small thread here (user digi). George has his ADA hooked up to a fuge AND a sump-- pretty interesting. I'll also be drilling mine for bulkhead overflow. I'm also interested in learning more about the xaqua in/out (

), don't know if you've seen it?

I recently built my own Mame style overflow for my Pico and was amazed at the positive results adding another couple of gallons to the existing 3.5 PLUS the chaeto. Much better water quality!

This thread has been most helpful. In particular the information regarding cameras and water quality. Thanks a bunch. I'll be following from now on!

Thanks!! I try and document everything as best I can so others can learn from my good experiences and mistakes :happy:

I have seen that 60-f before and it looks great. I'm personally not a huge fan of barebottom tanks but that one looks pretty nice. I have not seen that xaqua in/out system before though and the only thing I would be worried about is it would take up too much space in a 60-f.

I completely agree with the sump setup too. I find it much easier to do maintenance on and more functional than a canister filter. Good luck with your new setup and be sure to post lots of pictures!

teamschreiba
Hey Schreiba, do you dose the tank at all?

Recently I've been dosing pohl's xtra and coral vitalizer about every 2-3 days. I've also started doing a mix of reef pearls and dried cyclopeeze and using that every couple days as well. I need to test my calcium and alk since I've added all these new SPS too.

jpfishfan09

Any two-part or kalk? Also, how often do you do water changes and how much? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see the methods behind the success

teamschreiba
Any two-part or kalk? Also, how often do you do water changes and how much? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see the methods behind the success

It's no problem! I haven't been doing any two part or alk, but I need to test soon because I may need to start with all the new SPS additions. And I do a two gallon water change weekly.

I found a little frag of the GSP you sent me floating around the tank. It was in pretty bad condition, so I just put it where all the other GSP is. Sure enough, it's open and very vibrant!

Tanks never cease to surprise :happy:

teamschreiba
Great tank and thread Shreiba :)

Thanks MGD!!

I found a little frag of the GSP you sent me floating around the tank. It was in pretty bad condition, so I just put it where all the other GSP is. Sure enough, it's open and very vibrant!

Tanks never cease to surprise :happy:

That's awesome iball! Just be careful because once that stuff starts growing it grows and encrusts over everything :P

teamschreiba
Looking so fresh and so clean!

Thanks Med! I saw you made the switch from LED back to MH/T5 as well. I hope you're liking the new lighting!

teamschreiba

I just don't understand corals sometimes...

My new SPS seem to be doing great as well as my green birdsnest, pink stylo, the blue acro I post pictures of, green branching monti, as well as many others. But then since my ponape birdnest's tips burned around xmas it has never recovered. I placed it right next to the green birdsnest which is growing like crazy and it still didn't make it. I also noticed that the small blue acro that is in the upper left-center of my tank also has burnt tips as of only about a week ago. It seems to slowly be getting worse too :( I just don't get how some corals can do so well and others not but I guess that is the challenge that is reefing.

teamschreiba

New March FTS:

6845215944_81a30bd964_z.jpg

LOTS of pretty obvious changes. This will be the last FTS that really resembles the others too. I plan on making some pretty big aquascaping changes soon. As you can see I have a nice SPS garden going on the right side of the tank that needs to be arranged somehow :P

My plans are to take the rock on the left and basically make it a little less than half as tall as it is now. Then I want to put the middle rock on the left side with the hammer in the back corner of the tank. The rock currently on the left will then be in the middle and almost look like a slab rock and I will arrange many of the SPS on this rock. I also have lots of acans that are not visible that I may put on the this rock.

My other option is to just break up that large rock on the left into many smaller pieces and arrange them somehow in the center of the tank. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to look like but things never seem to work exactly how you plan.

can't wait to see the changes

yea lol I see NO acans in this tank

that GSP didn't 't make it huh?

Tank is looking good though you always take perfect FTS photos

teamschreiba
can't wait to see the changes

yea lol I see NO acans in this tank

that GSP didn't 't make it huh?

Tank is looking good though you always take perfect FTS photos

Thanks!! Yeah the GSP just wasn't looking as good as before. It's in the sump though so if I want to bring it back I can. And all my acans are behind the middle rock and I need to get them on something other than frag plugs :P

Still great looking! Of course.... Love the recent sps additions. I can't find any good frags locally. Just nothing....

As far as corals living and dying, it definitely makes no sense sometimes. I have two birdsnest frags. They grow slower than death. I have a third in the same location, and an acro, that grow like crazy! Opposite of what every online description says about them. I have a war coral that seriously can't die and if I had it mounted properly it would grow out very nice. However, chalices do not grow in my tank.

teamschreiba
Still great looking! Of course.... Love the recent sps additions. I can't find any good frags locally. Just nothing....

As far as corals living and dying, it definitely makes no sense sometimes. I have two birdsnest frags. They grow slower than death. I have a third in the same location, and an acro, that grow like crazy! Opposite of what every online description says about them. I have a war coral that seriously can't die and if I had it mounted properly it would grow out very nice. However, chalices do not grow in my tank.

Thanks! My LFS had been like that for the longest time and then all of a sudden it seemed like they started getting great corals so keep your hopes up ;)

And yeah I think part of it is that we can't have the right parameters for all the corals in our tank and some are just very fickle to anything really. Although since I've started this new feeding regimen all of my corals have looked significantly better than they ever have.

Haven't been here in awhile :P

Things are looking good!! I love the SPS garden!!

Thanks Jruberti! I'm really working on the SPS to try and get/grow some nice colonies. I need to take more pictures too, I've been slacking recently :P

Daniel Name

Teamschreiba,

I just installed a mame overflow but the suction does not work properly. The water level at the tank is always changing and there's bubbles inside of it.

In about 5 minutes of work, the water level goes really high and when it will leak, the bubbles goes off and the water level go down.

I'm using a 350 gph Syncra Silent pump. I see that you're using a 160gph eheim pump.. Do you now what could be wrong?

Thanks

Tank looks great man.

I've recently had my SPS woes too, i just lost two Seriatopora colonies for no apparent reason. All my other SPS seem to be doing fine but suddenly those two birdsnests started dying out after they had previously flourished.

I think I am going to make the switch to T5's as well. Hype has pretty much convinced me. I am not seeing the color I'd like in LED's.

Archived