inTank Media Baskets

Nemesis Pico 1.5 Gallon DIY - Tankcastrophy - sprung a leaker.

Sunstar

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 27, 12:50am

Blastomussa is now a blastotwosa or may be a blastothreessa it is growing a new head or two.

My zoanthids that were suffering were attacked by an astria star :( I moved three to my 10 gallon for the time being.

I found that my zoas want to eat now. hmmm.

Also my mushroom is growing a new head.

Short and breif.

May 27, 12:50am

Blastomussa is now a blastotwosa or may be a blastothreessa it is growing a new head or two.

My zoanthids that were suffering were attacked by an astria star :( I moved three to my 10 gallon for the time being.

I found that my zoas want to eat now. hmmm.

Also my mushroom is growing a new head.

Short and breif.

5% of asterinas want to take coral samples, the other 95% are great guys

Yeah I try to keep the good ones around. I don't want the coral samplers

On another note, I just lost a massive chunk of tooth :(

Flatworm exit for my 10 gallon. I plan to do that thursday.

ANd for my pico - some clove polyps and a pretty mushroom.

June 11th 2:16am

Woot! I have three new blastomussa heads for sure. Possibly 5 heads. Three have small tentacles and are developing a green centre, so its is for sure on those. SO exciting! considering when I got the frag, it was really just skeleton. I nursed it back to health and it is apparently very happy!

Also, some of my zoos more than happily took some foodstuffs. My smallest and my largest zoa/paly ignored them, but the midsized ones seemed really eager to stuff their faces. I can see the food items in the stalk.

Anyway, I am very pleased!

Although it is still in my 10 gallon, my micro mini carpet, the blood red one I recently got, has divorced itself and has gone its own separate ways.

I have hit the tank (10 gallon) with flatworm exit and I will have to re peat the treatment in a week or so, since I am a little concerned with the amount of flatties there. I will do treatment during my next pair of days off. I did a heavy water change because my mini micro carpets got a bit upset by the treatment. There were a surprising large amount of the worms.

Anyhow... two micro mini carpets!! :3

EW! It appears I may have a small fungal infection in my largest Zoo colony. the green ones the skirts went brown. They looked like - for lack of a better description - like little phallus' It started to go brown over night. I am currently giving the colony a dip in furan-2.

I have moved a few of my colonies to the 10 gallon. the LED seems to be pissing them off and the growth in my 10 gallon has improved. the zoas had not grown new heads in a few months. I am gonna try to get the zoas to grow enough to frag them from the 10 back to the pico, Basically I want to have a backup colony. My frag tank is still n ot fully setup. I have n ot had a chance to get to home depot for egg crate and I have al so not had a chance to get the "slimpaq" bulbs which are an odd 16.5 inches.

• 2 weeks later...

Eeeps, it feels longer than a week in posting. ANyhow my zoos opened up and look better. my blasto baby heads are getting larger. Unfortunately I lost one of my mini mini clones. Not sure what happened there. the survivor is in my pico now. Well I suspect work, being hectic, I have been unable to deal with some of the water changes like I typically do. Still did a few and things did okay.

Bad week... bit of a story here.

My powersupply starts to act up. seems to be pulsing power on and off. I unplug it and examine the project box that connects the lights, drivers to power and realise there is a bit of a problem. I get the parts today. I end up in tears because the leds would not work. It was hot, soldering was tedious and the lights would not come on. So a while later I stare at the wiring and my eyes end at the plugs danging away.... oh crud. lights won't turn on unless you have power to it.... plugged them in and it works a ,charm.

Anyway, I am prepairing to adjust my LED system with more spectrum.

From my light DIY thread

I had issues this week with A: the female plug in part breaking and needing to replace, but also the power supply harfed and needed replacing as well.

In the mean time, I ordered the LED, but I will order buck pucks at a later date. to expand my system from two channels to 6.

Below is an image of the colours I intend to use - using dimable pucks - so I can adjust or remove colours. I know before I was told to avoid red. I am curious about what it can do. I also read that lime can make light seem brighter. I forgot what the value of cyan was but I am including it for slags and gags. I am also going to include the ultra violet.

I am going to work around my existing middle row. Royal Blue and Neutral whites

Front row will have the Cyan and Lime, back row will include Red and Ultra violet.

plan.jpg

I will work out wiring later.

I intend to colour code my wires. I want to get red for the red row, violet for the violet so on and so forth. I admit this is gonna be very tight working in this cabinet. I will need a significantly longer project box. While I was working inside of it, it was very clean and good. So I am delighted that it did not get corroded or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to show off the more than noticable blastomussa heads

IMG_20150715_205317.jpg

everything is pissed off because the temp dropped 10 degrees over night in the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

the lemon has worked amazingly well. I rub the slice over, towel it off and finish it with a micro fiber cloth. hardly a streak on it. As a cook, I find lemon goes with seafood well ;) And if a bit gets in it probably is not too much of a danger like windex or something else might be.

I tend to be allergic to a lot of chemicals, even lemon scented cleaners tend to have me in asthma attacks.

as for the bleached ones, below bottom midle-left you can see some white guys in near green fellows - those were the badly affected ones. But they are finally opening. the plug in the bottom left below the orange guys and above the nem was the one that suffered in teh ten under the HO. their colony sisters are all over the middle of the zoa rock. I think with some TLC and some shelter from main lamps they may recover.

I think I understand what had happened. My former powersupply that fritzed was 1.5amps but my total draw is something like 2.3amp so I speculate that my tank wanted to draw more than it could supply. when I replaced it with a 2.5 amp, it had all the power it needed and had stronger light. I do recall it appearing "brighter" when I replaced the power. I think when I bought the power supply the only available to me was the 1.5amp. I did notice the closing shortly after the new powersupply went in, but the tank had been without light for 24 hours except for a desk lamp I had in its direction.

My damned goby jumpped out when I attempted to feed it. It was bouncing on the screen. It got back in and is okay. my LPS is doing well, and my blasto is being amazing.

I am gonna keep that in mind.

Sorry you got to deal with that, I understand allergies to cleaners and scents too well, lol. Some of them like Lysol kill me. But I don't have asthma.

Hopefully they all get their dinoflagellates back.

isn't it zooxanthellae you mean? I was pretty sure dino is something generally not good or is a pain to have. Lysol, air neutraliser (unsented) can kill me for a week after it has been used.

so as to not hijack that other thread, I'll respond about hte heat here. temp in the tank was 79 this morning, coolest it hgas been all week. but the extraction fan was off. I had to do some repair to the power supply to fan this morning. When I was away the other weekend, every fan I owned was directed at the tank.

So far, stuff that was being problematic has been improving since the dimming. Only thing is, I have one colony for 6 months that has not increased in size at all. same three polyps. wish it would grow, it is pretty. Needless to say it has never closed up or looked sad either.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I haven't got to adjusting my light fixture to a new spectrum yet. I was broke all summer - So when I make a little money suddenly my tank decides to leak - go fig.

So 30 minutes before I leave for work, I sit down to do my hair and wipe the front of the tank off. I had done a water change earlier, but I was careful as ever, I did not spill any. AND I notice a pool of water seeping out from under the tank. I had it raised on little feet so I can protect it from any odd crushing - or whatever. some people put foam under. I dabbed up the pool and shortly after it was back. I dabbed it again. this time I got a bucket over, and drained enough water to move the tank. I wiped the bottom dry and shortly thereafter, it started to form a drop and dripped.

My heart sank. I called work and warned them I could be late and said I had a tank leaking and needed me to get everything into an emergency tank. I gave them a half hour late warning. I still made it with half hour before my shift. I took a tank I was going to use for a betta, and filled it with tank water, and rock. I moved the pico oiut and put the temp into the cabinet - but it doesn't fit properly it's too long. it fit under the lid and the ato functions normally. So it is not a massively pressing matter right now and can hold off until monday/tuesday when I have time off work.

Archived