Pod Your Reef

Nemesis Pico 1.5 Gallon DIY - Tankcastrophy - sprung a leaker.

Sunstar

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do spot feed on occasion. Usually prior to a waterchange, which is just going to happen because - spot feeding.

Edit: and the second round of furan-2 dip for the zoas.

April 3rd 2015

Zoa Pox and the Furan-2 Treatment.

So last week I bought a zoa and I did not realise until I got it home that it had the zoa pox. Not a problem. I had been reading uop on the subject for some time nd had purchased some furan-2 in anticipation of possibly getting this sad sickness in my zoas. Especially since I have been choosing to collect these. I do try to do my research. I figured it was a good thing to have on hand - just in case. I ordered it a few weeeks ago. It is especially hard for me to get stuff like that due to the lack of petshops in my area.

My treatment was one package of API furan-2 in 250ml of tank water. I allowed the zoa to sit in this solution for 15 minutes and did this for 4 days on, then let it rest for 4 days and I am treating again for 10 minutes at 4 days. I feel this should be enough considering how fast the spots are going, and how those two previously tightly shut zoa heads are now open.

Edit: I used the solution over the 4 days - same packet. I just warmed it up and kept a lid on it while it was not in use.

Still I am very happy with my results. Thanks to those who found this treatment. It's a gem.

IMG_20150403_123701.jpg

April 6th 10:00PM

Oh dear god... Okay.

I finished my zoa pox treatment and the results have been magnificent.

But the Oh god comment referrs to my realisation that a battery backup may, in-fact, be a delightfully good idea.

Why?

I think the power went out last night. My computer was off, my husband's was off. And I sat all day looking at my tank thinking - kinda looks odd. So I am staring into it trying to fathom why it looks odd. Then I realised. The Refuge was not on and that holds the thermostat. Tank temp has plummeted (74 from its usual 80) by this point, the flow is reduced as the one pump is on (I have a refuge and a filter) I had to get a skewer in to get the.

So lesson learned. I'll see if paul will agree to a battery backup, at least for my beloved pico.

April 12. 12:31 AM

CoOntinuing on with the lesson learned - I believe my Purple hornets have contracted the zoa-pox. The ones I think are green bay packers have recovered, but the purple hornets have developed spots

I am treating them, wishing wistfully that I had a quarantine tank. I am tempted to treat all zoas at the same time.... tempted. We'll see. In the mean time, my frag tank has been put on hold :( bummer. I'll just maintain vigilance with the pico.

April 13, 12:08 am

Zoanthid eating spiders.

I saw a zoa that seemed... odd. It sits on my desk so I am very aware of changes. Unlike before when it sat in my bedroom. This time I can stare at it with a magnifying glass and hmm and awe over minute details.

This time I saw something odd. Was it a nudi? I get my pipette and start pushing on the zoa with the tip and I dislodge the thing. It is a thing, I suck it up quickly and then drop it in a small plastic container. Instantly recognise it. Zoa eating Spider. Since I was doing my pox dip I dropped all three into the pox solution, and then carefully removed each colony to examine under a magnifying glass.

I need to get some coral RX. I have a 1 shot Coral RX so after the pox treatment, I dropped each one into the dip for a 10 minutes, rinsed and then put back.

I am learning such a different set of lessons this time around.

IMG_20150413_000031.jpg

GROSS

One word, says it all. Yes, very much so. It is only the one though, I have goen over the colonies again. I will watch.

April 15th. 1:25pm.

I am likely gonna be taken out and be shot.

Why?

Well it might be because a Neon Goby found its way into my tank. Beautiful little blue guy.

I ensured that he went in along with an added tule/eggcrate lid to reduce its ability to leap out. Due to the tule, I am not merrily coated in an generous covering of superglue.

Oh I am so gonna be shot, I f ound out a pre-order for something came in >.>.

Okay, I got a pic of my emerald crab, he is currently frisking my GSP, He's been reaching under it and pulling morsels so its not damaging the coral, just picking between it.

IMG_20150415_200704.jpg

I am gonna try to frag a bit of the dendro off tonight to add to the tank. And if I can get a shot of the goby. It seems to be hiding out behind my magfloat and the wall.

IMG_20150415_135432.jpg

Not attractive, but a tule coated egg crate fish screen. Its not pretty but you can't see it when the lid is down. But you get to see what the inside of my tank's working are. I have a pitiful LED on my macro in teh back but it gets enough from the front as well. Inside that AC filter is Calauptra Brachypus and my heater. Beside it the lidded filter is my media - carbon. Both are adding to my flow. the round thing in the right hand side is my ATO float switch. It's a pill bottle with holes in it to keep snails and whatnot out.

You cam also see the ATO fill line that is attached to the wall. The lid actually should prevent it from falling in.

And above all that is my Glass splash guard to protect the LED's from spray.

Quite a freaky thing. Fortunately I am not afraid of Spiders - just another terrible insect...

I have to say though, I envy your photos. One day I will get myself a nice camera.

Jellyingabout

Pycnogonids fascinating things. So slow moving and and they are purely suctorial feeders, no proper claws or defenses. It's like they are asking to be killed by everything else.

I actually feel bad about removing stuff like that from my tank, but without a size for any form of natural control it kinda means I have to be the one to do the dirty work.

I keep those fire/bristle worms that everyone seems to hate. As far as I have seen with my tank if they provide a glorious Cleanup service. Mine are getting big too. But they are so pretty. I admit, touching them bites.

The Reef shop has just contacted me to let me know they have obtained a s. tapetum. I used to have them ages ago but no more. I really really want to get them. I used to have them and had them splitting frequently that it would quite possibly be profitable for me - at least in a trade in value.

I go tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

NinjaReefer

Great tank Sunstar. I really like it. I just started one roughly the same size.

I wanted to warn you that I tried to keep a mini carpet in a 2.5 gallon I used to have. I got the small ones that are ricordia size. Anyways after a few minutes in the tank they open up and look beautiul. Then a little trimma goby tries to perch on it and gets eaten right before my eyes. I tried to save him but he was dead by the time I got him out : (

I would hate to see that happen to your little neon.

Also note I think there are a few different verieties of mini carpets. I got the really small ric size ones. I know there are other varieties that get to 6" diameter, but I dont have any expereince with those.

Jellyingabout

I'm very keen to see how this little neon fairs in the such a small tank, if it works for you I may be getting one too :D although mine is tiny bit smaller 1g.

I likely will put it in my 10 gallon. I have been thinking about the goby and their tendency to perch. I know rockflowers are not near as aggressive as the carpet nems.

Seeing how I want to propagate these, I may consider putting it in the 10 anyway in a float box. My lights are somewhat lacking these days.

I have had experience with both the mini mini and the mini maxi. I know both will eat whatever the heck they get their lips on.

I have a 10, this 1.5 and eventually a 7-gallonish to use as a frag tank.

the 10 is low light so not coral ready. Well not corals other than sun. But It should be okay enough for the nem if I keep it near the lamp.

Edit:

Jellying about: So far he's been pretty happy. the rock he's adopted is full of holes so he is in and out. Also for the moemtn its full of "buggies" on the rocks, on the glass and I have seen him eating those as well as food I drop in. I've seen it feeding and seen it poopin. SO seems okay for the moment.

I got my sticky tape nem - its in my 10

I also got a hammer frag, small blasto (free) and a couple of shrooms. I will document it when they are finally in and the dust has settled.

Okay, Pics.

IMG_20150424_192610.jpg
S. tapetum. Its currently in my 10 gallon. I am finding it not as sticky as my original s.tapetum. this one is blood red and the other was quite green and red. I still would like one of the other ones. I will move it to the pico as soon as it sits still on that rock and hopefully remains there.

IMG_20150424_192401.jpg

Tiny blasto barely the size of my thumbnail. they gave me that bit to see how it goes.

IMG_20150424_191709.jpg

Shroom frag above the plug. Recently cut or split. Unknown what type it is. Help in this department is welcome.

IMG_20150424_194131.jpg

Blurry pic of yet another shroom. Again not sure what type. Just shroom.

IMG_20150424_194117.jpg

Hammer time! Yes, I am gonna watch its sweepers tonight. this one looks far too happy in here, it might send them out. My last one was not as happy.

I have ordered new lights for my 10 gallon. They should be here next week. that means I can get my frag tank set up and things moved if needed. I will get an FTS shot once the sun is down and I am not getting a lot of back light.

Archived