Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nemesis Pico 1.5 Gallon DIY - Tankcastrophy - sprung a leaker.

Sunstar

The rock flower explosion has been awesome.. so many cool options out there now! Sucks to hear about the bryopsis, such a PITA. I'm following a similar path as you (returning after a while) and I'm going all dry/dead rock this time around. Can't wait to see what you do with this one!

Dry dead might have been the sane idea for me. But since I made my bed, I'm gonna sleep in it. I figured most of the bad stuff would be not on my rock, since I took out the: Mantis shrimp, Netted flatworm, Bobbit worm. Isopod (of the bad vareity) those red eyed crabs (the invaders of my 10 gallon. My 10 gallon has been likewise peroxide nuked. I figured I could afford a higher doseage in that tank since I have no animals in it. I resued a few fireworms that ejected from there. I value them as cleanup crew.

As for rock flowers. I like Anemones, So I think I would collect a few nems, If I can't have nems in my pico, I want a couple small nems in my 10. I would love to get a BTA.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTAs are (IMO) too big for even a 10 only due to the threat of them walking over your other corals. With maxis and RFAs it seems like that is less of a concern. That's just me being paranoid though.

That said, if you can find a nice little BTA and you have a spot for it, and it's something you're craving, do it! I'm planning to go a little nem wild with the new tank too so I'll be looking forward to seeing how you go.

It has become apparent I need to replace the extractor fan. Hopefully my husband can get a replacement tomorrow, and I can get it fitted. Sadly it's really rattling now.

I took the affected rock out and transferred it to the 10 and I am hammering that tank with peroxide.... firewomrs really do not like me right now.

I am replacing the rock in teh 1.5 with dead rock, also fairly high dosage of peroxide, so it'll re-cycle. All animals are out. I'm going ot be floating it ina container later and hope that I can clean the spores out. I am also going to swab the plugs carefully with a Q-tip later. My hand hurts from hitting it with a hammer while trying to frag the dry rock.

Wow you're really going to town on it! Good luck and get some ice on that hand :)

It sounds like you've got a solid plan. I hope it takes care of it for you!

The extractor fan has been replaced. I can actually switch the wires around and get it to operate faster. this may be useful in summer.

I am gonna try to obtain an astra snail.

OMG... its growing back.

Drastic plan. take out the rock, cook the rock - its dead rock anyway. stick rock in a container of sand and water and dead mysis shrimp, and let it rot the hell out. - Cycle. Keep my stuff going in the 1.5 until that cycles. pull tank appart and thoroughly nuke. remove sand, remove crabs and dip dipity dip dip the zoas - I want to leave them alone for th etime being. Replace everything once that cycle is done, let that settle down when I get it tranferred. Hopefully this will be the end of that.

So my algae issue is at a managable position. I still have it in spots, but its easily removed

Current issues, dusty algae - on glass. But I hired a astrea snail, small enough for the tank, large en ough to not be bullied by the hermits.

I got a chunk of live rock to re-establish bugglies, I have discovered a Nassarius snail in teh sand bed when I went to feed a rockflower a mysis. I was surprised and pleased.

My Green Zoas appear to be wanting to open up soon. SO hopefuly the chaos is settling down

th_IMG_20150210_233746.jpg

Zoa and live rock. the closed ones are the green ones. the green ones are so grumpy. the other ones have always been HAPPY. I mean so happy they opened up in the bag during their trip home.

th_IMG_20150210_233733.jpg

Rockflower in the dry rock.

cross posted in the paly zoa thread.

After about 2 weeks of closing and shrinking my orange skirted Zoa are starting to open... I am pleased. I lost my purple hornets, but if things are finally settlign down, I may consider giving those a shot again.

I have this sad sad feeling. I have this dried seaweed mix and it contains specimens I would love to have in my tank, and yet I am eating them. Where oh where can I find these beautiful things alive so I can enjoy them with my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20150225_204445.jpg

IMG_20150225_204427.jpg

Two new zoa frags, which are amazingly happy.

Metallic GSP opening up. I may take the top off and put it on a differnet rock or glue it to the back of the tank, but WOW looks fantastic! :)
IMG_20150225_213733.jpg

IMG_20150302_190851.jpg

Sorry for the cruddy quality. But I broke up the GSP into a couple large chunks and two smaller ones ended up being made into frags.

so far, so cluttered with shell offerings for my hermits.

Tank Log:

March 3rd (early am)

I figured I would mention here that a few days ago, while looking at the rock through a magnifying glass I noticed faint pink spots developing on the surface of the white 'dry' rock that I had placed in after my bryopsis outbreak; That outbreak, for the moment, is under easy control of manual removal and nutrient control. These pink spots are more noticeable by naked eye now. I am going to assume that this is the first colonies of coraline algae starting to take root on this rock.

I have also noticed an ample supply of Isopods - I believe both Spaeromatid and idoteid. I have yet to see any amphipods - but I will try to obtain some yet. I recently acquired both white and dark brittle stars.

If the weather is not to crumby, I may sneak out the the coral reef shop and see if I can obtain more macro algae, and perhaps some amphipods. I may end up with a frag, or a nem.... I know my husband will likely shoot me. I know I want something of colour, so If all they have is the green maxi, I may see if I could get a head of dendros or a candy cane. Basically - I want to get my tank rougly with the same critters I had before. My issue is being unable to find macro algae I want - prolifera, dragons breath. I suppose if I start bugging them, they may remember and pick some up.

What I want: (not all at once)

Nems:

Mini maxi - pink, blue, or other colour

Rock flower - Pink, blue or other colour

Mini mini carpet - I love those.

LPS:

Candy cane - blue.

Dendros

Small frog, hammer or torch

SPS:

Montipora (but for the most part I wish to avoid SPS this time around)

Softies:

Pulsating Xenia

Clove Polyps

Pipe Organ

Zoas - pretty ones

Paly - pretty ones

Animals:

Contemplating: (as in a couple of these not necessarily ALL of them)

Nasarius Snails (a couple more)

Sexy shrimp

porcelain crab or even a Pompom (more research needed)

Pistol and goby (needs more research)

Harlequin serpent star (needs more research)

Tang (just kidding.... even my 10 is way too tiny. I am not insane :P)

I probably will migrate the hermits to the 10 gallon when they get too large. They seem to grow and switch shells rapidly.

As it stands, I am pleased with this reboot.

March 4th - late afternoon

So we had snow storm yesterday, freezing rain and a power outage. I need to get me a battery backup.

SO I snuck out at the start of the storm to the coral reef shop. they are far too conveniently close. I spent about an hour waffling over a couple frags. Anthelia and a single head of blue Candy cane was what I did come home with.

I really want macros, but the anthelia is giving me a sort of texture and motion that I find pleasing. I am going to keep it contained. The candy cane simply makes me chirr.

Being that I ride a bike, and it was still pretty darn cold outside, I'll just describe how I travel with corals.

I usually wear a backpack and inside that I have an insulated pizza bag that I put a large hot water bottle. You know the sort, ugly red rubber thing that was the old fashioned heating pad - Yeah, I use those still. I filled it with hot tap water and dropped it in the pizza bag. I then put a smaller insulated lunch box in the pizza bag, and rolled it up.

Once the purchase was made, I placed the corals into the lunch bag, then placed it in the pizza bag. Rolled it up and it stays nice and toasty. Providing I am not riding crazy distances, this works a charm.

What I want: (not all at once)

Wish List

Nems:

Mini maxi - pink, blue, or other colour

Rock flower - Pink, blue or other colour

Mini mini carpet - I love those.

LPS:

Candy cane - blue.

Dendros

Small frog, hammer or torch

SPS:

Montipora (but for the most part I wish to avoid SPS this time around)

Softies:

Pulsating Xenia

Clove Polyps

Pipe Organ

Zoas - pretty ones

Paly - pretty ones

Animals:

Contemplating: (as in a couple of these not necessarily ALL of them)

Nasarius Snails (a couple more)

Sexy shrimp

porcelain crab or even a Pompom (more research needed)

Pistol and goby (needs more research)

Harlequin serpent star (needs more research)

I intend to try to tidy the tank up. It has a lot of unsightly rubble.

IMG_20150303_160946.jpg

IMG_20150303_181330.jpg

IMG_20150304_165915.jpg

I am currently suffering from food that has not agreed with me. Mandarin... that'll be the last time I ever eat there. 3 of the 4 times I had, I have been so damned ill... and this is over a 14 year span.

Anyway, I am trying the purple hornets again. I put them low in the tank, and they seem to be slowly opening. They're more difficult that others. I had them a few weeks ago and they withered :(. I also picked up another dark - hornet like zoa that is high in the tank and it was fully open today.

Candy cane has been receptive to small feedings each night. I usually follow with a water change, but being I am throwing up and I need my WC bucket to contain other material. Candy cane has been opening with tentacles at night very quickly.

My metallic GSP has started to spread to the rock I placed it on. this is good. I can't wait for my big green GSP rock. The Zoas that had receeded finally have a baby fully open. so it is at 3 heads now. GLEE!

March 16th

I need to get an FTS.

So far the GSP has really started to spread on that rock, as I mentioned before it had just connected with the stone 5 days ago. It has grown at least half an inch onto that rock and more each day. Even the two small frags are starting to get decent coverages - this is going to kick start me into getting my frag tank started.

The only issue with the frag tank's coming into being is: the acquisition of egg crate and the fact the water I had been cycling rock and sand in - which was originally for this tank, but due to things settling down, I decided I'd use some in the frag tank - has currently had a Hydrogen Sulphide event. The sand in that tank is super super fine. The GSP frags do need their own home as I am only allowing them to spread on one rock.

The Ultra Chaos KO's are spreading well. I have three new polyps and three on the way. The others are being a bit slower, but at least the purple hornets have actually opened this time around. Last time they withered and vanished. The only problem I have with them is their neat inner circles have been spread about, like the green algae in their cells got damaged. They looked as if htey were going to have issues, so I moved them to a different location, where they responded better.

I have spotted a tiny stomatella <3, Amphipod, and spaghetti worms.

The isopod population has merrily exploded. I think they are what is controlling the diatom/algae bloom I had a couple weeks ago. After the explosion of Cyclops and isopods, the algae issue seemed to become non existent. The Bryopsis issue is rampant in my 10 but is under excellent control in my 1.5 I occasionally brush my filters with peroxide as part of the cleaning routine, and I pull off any growing on them. I am also attempting to compete it out with macro-algae in the filter box.

So yep, it seems to be happy <3

March 18th

Back when I got the fluffy coral, I also obtained a tiny fragment of a pipe organ coral. The fragment didn't do anything and I left it loose as I wasn't sure which end was the business end. I know now as it finally has opened up. Now I know what end to stick down, I will get it to a bit of rock. I'll bore a hole into the rock to support the tube.

IMG_20150318_142958.jpg

IMG_20150318_142925.jpg

The GSP is starting to take over the rock, I am pleased. I will be fine if it dominates that particular stone.

I may move the zoas around that are in the sandbed and move them toward the "white rock" and move the GSP toward the pink rock where it could adhere and spread upward.

I will do all the above tonight when I do a heavier waterchange.

Stands to reason I may have damaged the pipe organ, I did my waterchange and might have broke the stem of the coral. Hopefully it can recover.

I moved the pink rock to vac under. a lot of meh going on under there, but that meh is now removed.

Edit:It is recovering

Thank you.

I am running a tiny experiment.

At work we have oysters (I'm a line cook) and they came to be displayed on a "kelp" as my chef called it. After some looking, I think its ascophyllum nodosum. I am not sure if it was dried and reconstituted or not. I think it actually is fresh, so I dropped it into some salt water and seeing if it actually thrives or dies. It has these little air bladders. Kinda neat looking, if anything it'll sit in the HOB refuge.

The pipe organ inspite of my heavy handed mauling survived. so it's stabilised in a rock and hopefully will thrive. As it stands the pumps are off and my corals are having a small meal

March 23 3:31pm

So, I snuck out to the Coral Reef Shop with intent to sneak home unnoticed with my stash. Unfortunately I was caught red handed.

I scored a bright green-yellow zoa (I noticed it may have pox, so I have given it a furan-2 dip.

I picked up five hermit crabs three for this tank and two for the 10 gallon. I just lost one of my hermits in here, so I removed the large one and also put it in the 10

I picked up seven nass snails - the three large ones are in the 10 gallon the remaining four have joined two in the 1.5 gallon. If they get too large they'll migrate as well to the 10.

I picked up two turbo snails and a trochus for the 10 gallon. Hopefully the algae issue will be taken care of there while I start waking up the 10 gallon to life.

March 31 12:15am

This is the time when water changes happen, however water changes happened earlier, read on for why.

Tonight however I was unearthing the nass snails by feeding and one reacted suddenly to a rock. Upon closer inspection, I realised this rock had a tiny ball anemone on it. This little thing has now made its way to this tank.

Why is this interesting?

Well, because when my 10 gallon was at its prime, and before the crash of 2012, I had a small cluster of these fellows who had come in on a rock. With the crash, I assumed that they, along everything else, was extinct. That tank went through some of the worst neglect, with extreme salanities. my husband did not top it off when I went away to school, the water would go low when I would return from college for a day or two then top it off and then go back to school for a month at a time.

I was surprised when I found fireworms and peanut worms alive. I have also found some hydroids. But I did not expect to find a tiny tiny survivor of a Ball anemone. Pity I can't find any micro carpet nems (not the mini maxi) So its a solid little survivor.

ALso speaking of nems... My little rockflower decided she wanted to move about three inches to where my large zoa colony was. So I moved the colony and she moved in. That was early this morning. She knocked another colony over with her shifting, I did the water change then. Normally its now.

So yeah, I am delighting in my tiny ball anemone.

Archived