SaltCritters.com

PJ's Sexy Shrimp Breeding Thread

pj86

I think the larvae will have to be removed from the main tank and reared elsewhere. for nitrate and phosphate binding beyond the norm why not do adsorbtion pads, something meant for a 10 gallon tank or better should ultra bind in your setup. a huge reserve of phosphate and nitrate binder should strip the tank of nutrients lol can also be a challenge for corals but not if you keep them fed like you do

Yea they are going to be removed and put in a vase which is inside another aquarium. Then once old enough moved to a bigger container.

I like the idea of the adsorption pads. Any good brands you know that are reliable. The non-photosynthetic tank will run quite different than the typical aquarium. We run equipment in series such that the water flow from aquarium -> sump/refugium -> filtering -> back to aquarium . I've been thinking breaking flow from refugium to filtering and running that in parallel rather than in series. In other words it would be like a purifying center, once the water is purified it will be reintroduce into the system. Because it is counterintuitive to heavily feed while heavily removing nutrients at the same time. Both event should be separated.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you tried your normal "hang em upside down until they poop a baby" coral technique yet? :D

If she doesn't release those babies soon, I will put her upside down and shake her. This tank looks like a chemistry set now, I'm ready to receive those babies.

I think she might release them tonight. She has been staying in one spot and really shaking those eggs. I can see a red little dot in each egg now. The male is really close and seems to be guarding her. I might stay up late tonight just in case she decides to release them tonight. Brandon this is in my 3 g picotope.

I didn't realize you had another pico. I was just thinking today everyone always says this is my first pico, does anyone actually setup a second? I personally can't see myself setting up another, not that I don't enjoy mine but you can only have so many tanks.

Anyway can you post some pics of the sexy shrimp carrying eggs? I notice my female has gotten a lot fatter but I don't see any eggs. I don't think I will try raising them anyway don't really want to start phyto and rotifer cultures again.

I didn't realize you had another pico. I was just thinking today everyone always says this is my first pico, does anyone actually setup a second? I personally can't see myself setting up another, not that I don't enjoy mine but you can only have so many tanks.

Anyway can you post some pics of the sexy shrimp carrying eggs? I notice my female has gotten a lot fatter but I don't see any eggs. I don't think I will try raising them anyway don't really want to start phyto and rotifer cultures again.

Yea, this pico is mainly empty and is used to house extra frags from my other tank. Also, it is here just for an emergency if the other tank crashes.

Here is a video showing her shuffling the eggs. Very hard to capture it with a crappy camera. I wish I had a better camera. Also, I heard they aren't that hard to raise. Here is a thread, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...9458&page=6 , she raised them with baby brine shrimp all the way.

you could really make money with this if it works out.

id be hard pressed not to remove the juveniles but instead xfer the parent to the breed holding tank to release them. then net her out and back to main display for another round.

I like the sound of $$$$...lol. My plan is to transfer the offsprings. If that doesn't work, I'm pretty sure she will have another clutch later on, and then I will try to transfer her over.

why would you remove the parents if in the 3 gal there are tons of corals and worms just waiting to get at the babies? would make sense to syphon the babies into the 5 gal..lol

not at all, I mean they could show up only under flash or something. are they pearlescent like that? or is the color stable and not changing if you look from a different direction?

The photo is pretty accurate in the colors. The colors are stable Newman and don't change if the angle is changed.

So today I noticed that the female sexy shrimp's eyes are getting red. Has anyone seen this before?

Where have you been?

She better not be smoking my CAO.

If she doesn't give birth soon it'll be time to hang her upside down.

LOL. Man she is acting hormonal, attacking everything and eating everything. My corals haven't been this pissed in a while. I gave her a pellet to calm her down.

Archived