1877 replies to this topic

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver

So i have finally decided to start my tank thread. I have been sneaking around doing my research and checking out everyones tanks, getting ideas and finally got my tank up and running. I have had a couple tanks in the past, one 14 gal biocube, a 75 gal aga and a 10 gal aga. This time around i wanted to try a smaller tank since i recently moved into an apartment. Thanks for all the help i have gotten on NR, opinions and advice are welcome and appreciated. Here it is...
  • 3 gal JBJ picotope
  • Aqua clear 70 with fuge mod
  • hydor 50 watt heater
  • LEDtric full spectrum bulb.

• About 1 1/2lbs of fiji live rock
  • About 3 1/2lbs reef cleaners carribean reef rock.
  • 5lbs of carib sea oolite live sand.
Livestock list
-pom pom crab
-red emerald crab
-1zebra hermit crab
-3 micro hermit crabs
-1 nerite snail
-1 cerith snails
-2 inch gold maxima
-1.5 feather duster worms

-orange fungia
-bleeding apple scoly
-raspberry acan
-saw breaker leptastrea
-favia
-war coral
-ricordea
-gsp
-lobo
-blasto
-yellow sponges
-blue anthelia
-green candy cane
-mixed zoanthids
-mushrooms
-neon green toadstool
-monti cap
-tiny frag of xenia

glory days fts
87bfe00b.jpg
Final fts
CE6E8F08-C3DA-470F-A127-7B569FD2422B-259

let me know what you guys think. I am waiting for the tank to cycle at the moment and i am not 100% positive what my stocking plans are. I definitely want to do some sexy shrimp and some kind of goby but i want to do a different goby than what people usually do. I look forward to keepin my own tank thread and hope you enjoy it and help me along the way.

Edited by jgpicodope009, 31 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.

will46r

will46r

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • Joined 16 Nov 2010
  • Deatsville, Alabama
I likey! What type of fixture is that?

jtgordon20

jtgordon20

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2010
Quote "Rapid LED par38 with 80 degree optics (4rb 3w)" unquote.
Always wanted to try one. Just would need 2 for a 10G and 3 for when I do my 20L.
Great start so far jgpico.

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
Thanks, its actually a DIY fixture. made it out of some 1/2 inch conduit an extension cord and a pvc elbow. really cheap and works great. it also holds the weight of the bulb and i can put it at whatever height i need it at. I really need to get a good camera my phone doesnt do it justice

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
My girlfriend found the first sign of life! its nice to see something moving in the tank even if it is just a microscopic snail. I tested the chems today and my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrites are sky high....is it possible that i have already had my ammonia spike and its only the 5th day?

2010_12_01_18.21.32.jpg

Cmakarov

Cmakarov

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 30 Nov 2010
I love this tank! the while reason I want to get mine up and running :D

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 5,879 posts
  • Joined 29 Sep 2009
  • Evanston, IL
Nice! Looks like you have a colinista snail there. You'll probably get a tank full of them soon. They are an awesome addition to a CUC..granted they make it through the cycle.
74wp.png6ygv.png5cx1.pngxooo.pngxq0e.pngR2Fe5xc.gif

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
thanks cmakarov lmao. its pretty much your tank too. we will get yours up asap!

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver

Nice! Looks like you have a colinista snail there. You'll probably get a tank full of them soon. They are an awesome addition to a CUC..granted they make it through the cycle.

Yeah i hope he makes it as well. i havent seen him since yesterday morning but he is tiny so he could be anywhere. I was doing a little night watching last night and i saw a bristle worm, a couple tiny feather dusters and the littlest aiptasia i have ever seen :angry: i gotta figure out how to get that little bastard outta there

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 5,879 posts
  • Joined 29 Sep 2009
  • Evanston, IL
Just hit it with a syringe full of hot water. Presto-deado. Maybe wait until it grows a little. The bigger ones seem easier to get rid of.

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
thanks mr. m...i guess the aiptasia doesnt so much bother me right now because it is actually cool to see some life in there but i know i gotta get it out before it becomes a problem. ill wait til it gets bigger like you said and nuke the #### out of it lol. so about my testing....for the past few days my tests have been about the same. my ammonia is at zero and my nitrites are sky high. does this mean i have had an ammonia spike already?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 5,879 posts
  • Joined 29 Sep 2009
  • Evanston, IL
Depending on how fresh and clean your LR is and how fast you got it into the tank, you might not have much of a cycle. Did you get if from a LFS and get it right into your tank?

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
i got it from my lfs but i didnt get it into the tank until a couple hours later. It didnt sit out and dry out or start smelling at all.

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
Would 2 red striped gobies be too much for this tank?

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
no love?!

Cmakarov

Cmakarov

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 30 Nov 2010
he he. No this is your baby. you have spent idk how much time and money on this tank. I can sit there and just enjoy it. I'll have my own to take care of after we set it up tonight. :D :D

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 5,879 posts
  • Joined 29 Sep 2009
  • Evanston, IL
I wouldn't attempt two gobies unless I had a larger fuge/sump to balance out water quality. But maybe it could be done. Remind me, are red stripe gobies the size of neon gobies or larger? You could maybe do two neon gobies in three gallons.

Ryan_H

Ryan_H

PUFG

• Members
  • 10,058 posts
  • Joined 01 Oct 2005
  • Marietta, GA
tank looks nice.

but do not EVER EVER EVER inject aiptasia with hot water! you will kill the original but release spores in the tank and get plenty more! just use kalkwasser and water mixed 2:1 into a thick past and use a syringe to blob it on the aiptasia. you don't have any corals yet so it won't be any issue if it raises the alkalinity or calcium, but that small amount will harden on the rock into a crust as it dissolves the aiptasia and you can suck it out on your next water change before it breaks down.

that light fixture is awesome, btw. any closer pics of how it's put together?
First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns...next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants.

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver

I wouldn't attempt two gobies unless I had a larger fuge/sump to balance out water quality. But maybe it could be done. Remind me, are red stripe gobies the size of neon gobies or larger? You could maybe do two neon gobies in three gallons.

The red striped gobies that i have seen have all been about the same size if not smaller than most of the neon gobies i have seen, thats the only reason i got the idea to even think it might be possible. I am definitely wanting to do about 2 to 3 sexy shrimp but i want some kind of fish as well. i would love to do a goby/shrimp pair but would 3 sexies and the goby/shrimp be waaaaay too much? Honestly i just want to do something different than the usual clown goby for this tank. what are your suggestions?

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
"that light fixture is awesome, btw. any closer pics of how it's put together?"

Hey Ryan_h thanks for the advice. would the aiptasia x be worth the money? I didnt take too many pics while i was making the light fixture unfortunately but i have a couple that kind of show how its made. Its really just some 1/2" conduit that i ran an extension cord through and connected the end to a waterproof outdoor light bulb inlet. then i used a pvc elbow to hide the cables and used some electrical tape. it was my first try so im probably going to build another and clean up the design a little bit but im happy with how it looks and it works perfect for the weight of the bulb. plus it was cheap to make.

2010_10_07_14.20.13.jpg
1286821139586.jpg

.Newman.

.Newman.

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 6,909 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2010
  • New Jersey (North)
I like the start, and i fully agree to what's been said about your cycle so it should o longer be a mystery.

For stocking, I think a shrimp goby pair would be ok if you pick the smaller species ones. if you do those two WITH sexy shrimp, I think the sexies will be in danger. the pistol will likely eat them when they encounter his burrow, which is likely to happen in a 3 gallon.

The red striped gobies are Trimma gobies right? I think those are smaller than even a clown goby at adult size, so two should be ok in your pico along with a small CUC. you dont want to go overboard.

IMO two neon gobies might be too much. they grow more than an inch and they're very active, especially when chasing each other. w/o a lid they go carpet surfing. btw if you do want a fish i highly recommend a lid.

If going with sexy shrimp, I personally would like them in with a mini carpet anemone, but since you also want a fish with them, the carpet has to be abandoned (since it might eat small fish)
3 sexy shrimp and a clown goby or one Trimma goby may work out. keep the CUC small in that case though.

I hope i gave you a few ideas :)
Posted Image

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver
Newman i have been waiting for you to check out and post on my thread lol. You plus others have been my inspiration for this tank. your tank is looking awesome btw, i cant wait for the competition to be over so i can really see what you can do with your tank. Thank you very much for the info you have given me it is really what i needed to hear. I am almost possitive now that i will do 2 redstripe gobies, some sexy shrimp and assorted corals of course. I am going to wait about a week and a half to two weeks to put anything in. I would love to do a maxi mini in my tank but as you said if i want to do any kind of fish its a bad idea, so thats why my girlfriend set up her 2.5 aga to be "the sexy tank" im lucky to have a girlfriend that shares my interest.

Ryan_H

Ryan_H

PUFG

• Members
  • 10,058 posts
  • Joined 01 Oct 2005
  • Marietta, GA
wow that fixture does look simple and clean... i may have to build something similar if i can convince myself to set up another pico.
First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns...next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants.

jgpico

jgpico

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2010
  • Denver

wow that fixture does look simple and clean... i may have to build something similar if i can convince myself to set up another pico.

Just buy a par38 bulb and find a nice little pico tank. I actually think they are selling the jbj pico on marinedepot for like #39.99 which is a good price. Once you get the bulb over the tank you will be convinced. I was originally going to paint the conduit black but then i mounted it and never got around to taking it back off to paint it. my next fixture will look a lot cleaner than this.

Ryan_H

Ryan_H

PUFG

• Members
  • 10,058 posts
  • Joined 01 Oct 2005
  • Marietta, GA

Just buy a par38 bulb and find a nice little pico tank. I actually think they are selling the jbj pico on marinedepot for like #39.99 which is a good price. Once you get the bulb over the tank you will be convinced. I was originally going to paint the conduit black but then i mounted it and never got around to taking it back off to paint it. my next fixture will look a lot cleaner than this.

oh trust me i want to set one up--just don't need to be spending the money on one right now lol. i started with a 1.6 gallon pico 5 years ago and have worked my way up to a 40B. i miss my little desktop tank though.