I have had this AGA 20 L sitting in the corner for about 10 years. I used it as a sump for an old 45 gal tall I had. I decided I want to get rid of my 5.5 gal tank at work and put this 20 gal in my office. I will use the 5.5 as a refugium for this 20L and 10 gal AGA I have for the sump..
I have drilled the tank for a overflow and sump. Part of the reason the tank set so long is the tank has a crack in one end of the long glass. It was sealed and used for 3 or 4 years this way while it was a sump. So I am not TOO concerned about the tanks integrity. Making the overflow to cover and hide the crack has made this tank useful. Plus the overflow, I hope, will help to stabilize the crack.
I am using a Mag 7 for the main pump. I put a tee into the return and added a Hydro Flo to add flow to the front corner and placed the main flow to spray across the length of the tank. Right now I have a Seio 325 pump on the opposite end.
I am not a big fan of the Hydro Flo since they have a major design flaw, which causes them to stop working most the time. If this company would fix the gearing on these things by increasing the teeth length or tighten up the tolerances between the driven and drive gear they would have a great product. But since the flow going through the driven gear housing pushes it away from the drive gear this thing slips gears constantly.
I am considering drilling the tank for a closed loop system but I don't have much desire for a load of SPS's in this tank so I don't know if it is worth it.
Right now lighting is going to be a Odyssea 24" T5 4 bulb. The model that has the legs that will extend to 30". Will order some UVL bulbs soon. I am partial to the 454 and Indigo Sun combo.
Fish wise my main desire right now are about 3 Barnacle Blennies hosted by a large dead barnacle colony I have and a couple other small fish. Most likely a Goby and shrimp paired and some kind of dwarf angel. Of course I have to have a conch most likely not a 3 eyed one since the one I have will stay where it's at..
Here are some pictures of the progress up to this point. the tank has tap water in it right now just to make sure I don"t have any leaks. Be running 24 hrs so far with no problems. Tonights test will be a run down test to se how much water flows back into the sump if the tank shuts down. This is a big concern due to the location of the Hydro flow, which will result in a syphon of about 4" of the main tank. Obviously I will have to make the sump able to hold this or put a check valve in the return line.
OH! by the way the tank in the back ground is the back of my 135 gallon tank built into the wall. I plan on plumbing this tank into it while I build the stand, sump and refugium. That way I don't have to worry about cycling issues. This thing will be ready to run as soon as I drop the Mag 7 into my 135 sump.
Edited by Deano, 09 December 2011 - 03:41 PM.