inTank Media Baskets

Squared's 29g reef

Squared

I like my cardinal. He isn't exactly as fast or swimmy as a wrasse, but he swims around a bit. He is a very quick feeder, and chances are he won't let slow fish get food first (at least until he can't stuff any more food down his throat).

I think he is about full grown. Also he eats pellets from the surface and thinks he'll get food when he sees a face. Coppers arn't the most colorful cardinal, but their are of different kinds of cardinals to choose from.

Oh ya and I have 1 only. He seems to do fine singly.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put a small 80 gph powerhead in my fuge to tumble the cheato. Will this affect the health of my seastars? I know they are just food, but I can't have them dying in containment. Is it too much flow for the seastars?

Also, regarding the health of my halimeda, should I trim it every now and then to export nutrients? Or does the halimeda plant not like being trimmed?

So due to the recomendation of people here on NR, I will be getting a golden midas blenny :D. I just have one question before I get this fish, do they need a small hole to live in like other blennys? So I can start making one before I get the fish. I also need to make a cover for the back of my tank.

100_3998.JPG

100_3999.JPG

Last night I caught my female shrimp releasing her baby shrimp atop the heater. If my camera could take a decent nightime picture, it would be on this forum. Maybe I will think about raising them someday.

Update:

I have done a complete re-scape of my tank, took out all of my halimeda (started to go asexual again), and am planning on adding another aquaticlife fixture.

I've had my eyes on a midas blenny at my LFS, and now I have enough money to buy it. BUT it is still not mine...

Can anyone recomend some new macro algea I put in my tank? I would like to do some SPS, and instead of a skimmer, I would like add macros and chemipure. Pics soon.

Also I am down to one peppermint. I suspect my pistol of murder (but hopefully he just scavenged dead corpses), cause I found the tail of a shrimp at the entrence of his cave...

animalmaster6
Can anyone recomend some new macro algea I put in my tank? I would like to do some SPS, and instead of a skimmer, I would like add macros and chemipure. Pics soon.

Gracilaria?

Chaeto?

Nemastoma is amazing.

I have cheato in my fuge. I liek that nemastoma, but where would you get it? I would prefer algea that "roots" itself in the sand, though.

animalmaster6
I have cheato in my fuge. I liek that nemastoma, but where would you get it? I would prefer algea that "roots" itself in the sand, though.

Talk to John Maloney. He is the macro and snail master.

Hello peeps. Time for an update. I completly re-did my scape, in order to acomodate SPS coral that I plan to add once I double my light output. I plan to add another link to my light. Also, I plan to get my blenny either this afternoon or next morning, so check back...

Anyway, here are the pics:

New scape, new FTS; what do you think? I think that torch has grown to be a very nice focal point in the tank.

Also, in that big white sandy area, I will try halimeda algea again. But first I need to raise cal and kh and find a way to keep my shrimp out of there...with a shirmp fence...

100_4031.jpg

100_4030.jpg

Here I will keep an acan garden...

100_4038.jpg

SPS to go here:

100_4039.jpg

more later.

100_4040.jpg

Nom Nom Nom

the%20new%20005.JPG

Pic from my old nano. thats the same candy cane I have now, for comparison. growing slowly, but growing none the less.

I got my midas blenny today, as well a small pink birdsnest frag and another T5HO link. Also gonna try some chemi pure elite, and I also bought someting to cover the back of my tank. Pics tommorrow, when I get back home.

Got my blenny from Age of Aquariums.

If you live in the area, check them out. They QT all there fish, and LR. Decent prices and a good selection of frags of many popular morphs. FW part isn't too shabby, and they have nice display tanks. Knowledgeable and friendly staff too.

What is your process for feeding your harlequin shrimp those starfish? How many starfish do you buy at a time and how long do they stay alive? how long does it take for your two shrimp to eat one?

thanks!

:)

It takes my shrimp abot a week for them to eat a whole star I wait about and week imbetween feedings as well. So I buy about 2-3 stars a month. I don't the stars die while eating them, because I never had an algea bloom or something of that matter.

And finaly here are some pics of my new midas blenny:

he is still a little shy :wub:, but i think I may have a new favorite fish...

100_4056.jpg

He did eat yesterday, and when he is swimming he is very colorful...

100_4052.jpg

He chose a rock near the birdsnest as his home.

100_4051.jpg

FOOOOOD....

more later.

anyone know how often I should feed my blenny?

cool. how much does a start cost and do they move much? You just keep it in a basket in the back of the tank with chaeto? Does the backup star need light?

Thanks!! looks rad!

I pay 5-7 dollars per star. Go with the chocolate chips, they are cheapest and hardiest. They eat coral, so keep them in a place they can't eat coral. They do not need light to live, I kept them in the dark nanocube compartement before. They seastars do move around a bit, but they are fine in fuge.

Archived