Top Shelf Aquatics

AIO trashcan Is Down (~2 years) From Nov 2010 to Dec 2012

NoChikenStrips

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoChikenStrips

Thanks everyone for the complements. I apologize for the painfully slow progress as i started this project back in Nov 2010 and somewhat finished now in May 2011. I have many more "ghetto" DYI plans to come in the near future.

I'm digging the trash bin idea - that's probably one of the most innovative and useful ideas I've seen on here in some times. Good job!

NoChikenStrips
Stand turned out nice.

I like the AIO trash can idea. You may very well be the first person to do that (or first one I've seen at least).

I really never thought about it that way : ) Thank you very much.

What bit did you use to route the holes??? Awesome job btw.

It is the exact same one in this picture below. All i know is that it is not a routing or cutting bit. Maybe more for sculpting. All it did was melt the plastic. I spent the next 3 hours peeling off the melted plastic, filing, and trimming the rest with a rusted old utility razor blade.

01.jpg

Sweet.

How did you attach it, just silicone?

I scored the insides and scored the areas where the acrylic baffles would be. I used a 3 oz tube of "AGA black silicon" from Petco for the display side and some on the insides. However i ran out of the aga black silicone so i had to use GE silicone 1 clear for the rest of the baffles.

• 2 months later...
NoChikenStrips

Things that went wrong so far.

I'm not 100 percent sure but i think my Stripped Blenny is eating my Acan frags. I seriously couldn't figure out why i was losing 2 or more frags a week. I've always seen him pick at my Acans but i was never too worried until i saw him tearing apart my rainbow Acan. So far i've given him to a friend. So far so good as i am not losing any more frags. Two of the half eaten frags have made a full recovery.

Total death toll is 10. Here are the surviving frags. Really bummed because i lost some really nice looking ones.

20110714-DSC_0124.jpg

I really like it but we need more pics. A little tip for anyone trying to clean on of those bits off, is use a lighter, make sure you do it outside and be careful to hold it with a locking pliers.

NoChikenStrips

Thank you all very much for the compliments and suggestions. I apologize for the lack of pictures as i have no idea what shots to take. I wish i can contribute more to this forum and maybe post more frequently. It's just that i don't really have time and when i do, i'm just too lazy.

P.S Best $3 investment ever. A 24" handy grabber claw at a garage sale. Flipping frags over, placing frags/corals, re-aquascaping, you name it.

• 5 weeks later...
NoChikenStrips

Picked up a Rio 1100 pump and a Seaclone 100 skimmer for 40 bucks. The 1100 pump was new and it makes water changes much easier. Yeah yeah I know its a cheap POS skimmer. but after some mods to it, it is working well for me.

Notice i said well, not great. It did not produce usable bubbles at all as i plugged it in. The bubbles were very large(1/4 inch). It drove me crazy for the next 4 hours. I got sleepy and said "F" it. Woke up the next day and i was amazed. I woke up to find out this POS skimmer has produce a really nice and dark skimmate. From what i have noticed is that it takes a few hours to start producing foam.

here is my current setup; left to right

1st chamber: Viaqua 250w titanium heater, skimmer output.

2nd chamber: blue bonded filter pad, carbon/gfo bag.

3rd chamber: Cheato/red marco algea, led desk light.

4th chamber: maxi-jet 900(return pump), red mangrove, rubble rock. Note: the rubble rock is NOT for filtration purposes. I leave rubble rock there to make fragging easier.

Also i did not paint the back of the tank. I used black decal. With the back cut out to light/view chambers.

20110819-DSC_1216.jpg

20110819-DSC_1228.jpg

Also i'm glad my hair algae decided to grow in my back chamber rather than in the display. I trim these weekly. Almost like an algae scrubber but not quite.

20110831-20110831-DSC_0010.jpg

NoChikenStrips

I don't know the exact measurements. It is a very typical semi-rectangular trash bin you see in offices. I am going to guess 17 inches wide. Also check the plastic type/number on the bottom because you don't want to leach any nasty chemicals from the plastic.

I don't know the exact measurements. It is a very typical semi-rectangular trash bin you see in offices. I am going to guess 17 inches wide. Also check the plastic type/number on the bottom because you don't want to leach any nasty chemicals from the plastic.

That is smart,great idea.

NoChikenStrips

Rescaped last week. Trying to build a zoa mound.

20110819-DSC_1146.jpg

--

I have no idea where these(yellow/red) came from. I just saw it in the center of my green zoa colony one day. I took a razor, peeled it off and now 3 polyps strong.

20110819-DSC_1176.jpg

-

Hitch hiking zoas. I swear i have no idea where these came from. I've had these since last year. They do not glow under actinics but they still look kinda cool.

20110819-DSC_1196.jpg

NoChikenStrips

A few new additions from MrCoral's retail store in MD. These frags made it through a 23 hour drive from MD to NE.

20110819-DSC_1203.jpg

20110819-DSC_1164.jpg

20110819-DSC_1193.jpg

20110819-DSC_1188.jpg

20110819-DSC_1178.jpg

Archived