Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

I love your favorite coral :)

I have a question for you. You said you had a pink-streaked wrasse in the past. Is it as good a hunter as a sixline wrasse? I just set up a frag tank and am considering the pink-streaked if it does as good a job as a sixline with the "bugs".

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love your favorite coral :)

I have a question for you. You said you had a pink-streaked wrasse in the past. Is it as good a hunter as a sixline wrasse? I just set up a frag tank and am considering the pink-streaked if it does as good a job as a sixline with the "bugs".

Thanks gena :)

Absolutely... however they're very shy and a bit cryptic. It takes some time for them to get acclimated and even once acclimated they're not as brave as a sixline... What i mean by that is its not an active water column swimmer,they stay to the rocks and hang in the shadows mostly. They are very peaceful and dont do well with any fish that may potentially harass them.

Heres a pic of the one i had..absolutely beautiful fish

6744131823_ec42eec0ec_z.jpg

Beautiful fish!!!!! Would you recommend the sixline over the pink-streaked for bug control then? I really want the pink one :lol: Also, do you think a tailspot blenny would be a good tank mate for the pink -streaked?

True beauty hype!

Thanks D! I want to get another eventually...

Beautiful fish!!!!! Would you recommend the sixline over the pink-streaked for bug control then? I really want the pink one :lol: Also, do you think a tailspot blenny would be a good tank mate for the pink -streaked?

Thanks gena. For total pest control six line is at the top of the list because they're extremely tenacious hunters but the caveat is their sometimes aggressive behavior. The pink streaked is a great alternative although you may not have the same results because they're so shy. A tailspot is a great tankmate for a pink streaked although i would recommend buying the pink first so it can acclimate.

Thanks D! I want to get another eventually...

Thanks gena. For total pest control six line is at the top of the list because they're extremely tenacious hunters but the caveat is their sometimes aggressive behavior. The pink streaked is a great alternative although you may not have the same results because they're so shy. A tailspot is a great tankmate for a pink streaked although i would recommend buying the pink first so it can acclimate.

Thanks for your help with this!!!! I agree that the sixline would be better suited for what I need.

Thanks for your help with this!!!! I agree that the sixline would be better suited for what I need.

No problem glad I could be of help.

I know you removed the skimmer from your set up not long ago but I am wondering if you have noticed any changes. How do you resit the temptation of packing as many corals as you can in your tank? Many make the mistakes of putting a thousand little frags all over their tanks and it ends up looking more like a Christmas tree or fruit stand than a reef....lol. You have certainly chosen and placed the corals carefully and it shows :D

Keep up the good work man.

animalmaster6
Thanks alot animal!Hows your tank coming along?

Can't do it. The long explanation is in my thread but it's really dissapointing :(

its very clear why that blue acro is your favorite!

Its the most vibrant piece in my entire tank smile.gif

I know you removed the skimmer from your set up not long ago but I am wondering if you have noticed any changes. How do you resit the temptation of packing as many corals as you can in your tank? Many make the mistakes of putting a thousand little frags all over their tanks and it ends up looking more like a Christmas tree or fruit stand than a reef....lol. You have certainly chosen and placed the corals carefully and it shows biggrin.gif

Keep up the good work man.

Hey timber I havent seen any noticeable changes but its still really early. I think within the next month ill be able to tell what leaving the skimmer offline does for my coral. Well i just dont like the look of a cluttered tank so i strategically place all of my coral to maintain the look i started out with.

Thanks alot timber i really love what you've done with your tank as well. One of my favorites on this site.

Can't do it. The long explanation is in my thread but it's really dissapointing :(

Aww man...you were so close :( No worries bud youll be able to get one up eventually and when you do its going to be stellar.

animalmaster6
Aww man...you were so close :( No worries bud youll be able to get one up eventually and when you do its going to be stellar.

haha thanks Hype.

Hey Hype, how's your carrot coral doing? I'm having the LFS get me one this week

All the frags are doing well. They're very low maintenance and easy to care for.

altolamprologus
All the frags are doing well. They're very low maintenance and easy to care for.

Good to know, thanks :)

Whose reef is the last picture, and where is the link to it? It is one I haven't seen.

Sorry but I have no idea... you would have to pm steely and ask him.

I am not running a skimmer but am having a hard time keeping my nutrients low enough so as not to encourage hair algae growth. What types of macro algae are you using? You mentioned getting some more as well. Are you going to get different ones? Which have worked well for you? Amazing FTS btw!

I am not running a skimmer but am having a hard time keeping my nutrients low enough so as not to encourage hair algae growth. What types of macro algae are you using? You mentioned getting some more as well. Are you going to get different ones? Which have worked well for you? Amazing FTS btw!

Ive always used Cheato and caulerpa prolifera. Ive found them to be the most efficient at nutrient export and you dont have the risk of them going sexual.Although recently my cheato has actually began outcompeting the caulerpa for nutrients and the caulerpa hasnt been doing too well. Eventually i may only have cheato left so i plan to dedicate my previous skimmer chamber to more cheato since its been working so well.

Thanks alot beau your tank looks amazing as well.

altolamprologus
No problem :)

What are feeding your corals? I prefer live phytoplankton, rotifers, and baby brine shrimp, but I'm curious what you use.

Archived