Cultivated Reef

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

looking good Hype, u still got ur seahorse? Pics? Your first and last FTS are my favs, not to mention those lovely Acans biggrin.gif

Thanks alot spencer. Yep ive had her for almost two years now. I have to take some updated pics of her and the acans.

Love that coral, do you spot feed it?

Thanks pat...i try to but it opens up to feed at weird times.

i hope the pics have been to your satisfaction.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after 6 months i finally got a pic of my pom pom crab. the anemones have more than doubled in size since ive gotten this crab. Its good to know they're being well fed.

6922298219_c576561c78_z.jpg

after 6 months i finally got a pic of my pom pom crab. the anemones have more than doubled in size since ive gotten this crab. Its good to know they're being well fed.

6922298219_c576561c78_z.jpg

have always wanted a pom pom

New FTS with the new T5/LED combo. Some coral are still recovering from my overuse of GFO.

6912453495_72ac8b3ed1_z.jpg

Still awesome, I see. Tough to find fault with the colors you've achieved, beauty. Love to see a bigger shot of that.

I think I've finally put my finger on why your tank is so amazing (beyond the obvious). You've some how managed to keep a Nano as a low nutrient system, while feeding a ton, and then maintaining a very meticulous, tedious, and well thought out live stock list. I can't imagine the work that goes on behind all of the pretty pictures, but it's damned impressive. Seriously, I can count at least 5 seperate things you've accomplished with this wee shallow masterpiece that I wouldn't have even attempted. A mandarin and a seahorse in a full blown reef set up? So very tedious...

I'm going to have to step up my game when I get set up again. Everything I've done looks like a Wal-Mart watch compared to your Rolex in hindsight.

Still awesome, I see. Tough to find fault with the colors you've achieved, beauty. Love to see a bigger shot of that.

Thanks alot jg my colors are the best they've ever been and this is within 2 weeks of switching. So im really happy about that. I could put a link in to a larger version if you want

Love the boxer crab photo! It doesn't even look like there is water in that shot. It's so clear! I wish my crabs still had their poms sleep.gif

Thanks so much gena..You could try to giving your zoas instead.

I think I've finally put my finger on why your tank is so amazing (beyond the obvious). You've some how managed to keep a Nano as a low nutrient system, while feeding a ton, and then maintaining a very meticulous, tedious, and well thought out live stock list. I can't imagine the work that goes on behind all of the pretty pictures, but it's damned impressive. Seriously, I can count at least 5 seperate things you've accomplished with this wee shallow masterpiece that I wouldn't have even attempted. A mandarin and a seahorse in a full blown reef set up? So very tedious...

I'm going to have to step up my game when I get set up again. Everything I've done looks like a Wal-Mart watch compared to your Rolex in hindsight.

Thanks alot for those complements and observations. Beleive me its not all pretty as theyre were plenty of setbacks that i could go on about for pages and many times i just wanted to quit... but theres something very magnetic about this hobby and im just very passionate about it. I try my best to learn from mistakes and become a better reefer. Although I find its pretty difficult to keep perfect balance in such a small tank(especially when you consider livestock and feeding habits) but im getting better at it yet still have alot more to learn. Im sure it could have been easier for me if i just kept one or two fish and a few coral but honestly i like to push the envelope. I research extensively the animals i would like to keep and try my best to accomodate them in my setup. If i cant satisfy their requirements or i find they arent thriving then i make immediate steps to remove them. Im also slowly learning that sometimes less is more in this hobby and some methods ive been using are overkill. So im changing things up a bit.

OKay so I have a photography question, I just ordered a Canon 60D and it came in the mail today and I cannot take a good macro picture with the stock lens to save my life! :huh: :huh: so, My question is are there any settings that I can tweak to take a decent Macro shot with the stock lens? Thanks!

OKay so I have a photography question, I just ordered a Canon 60D and it came in the mail today and I cannot take a good macro picture with the stock lens to save my life! huh.gifhuh.gif so, My question is are there any settings that I can tweak to take a decent Macro shot with the stock lens? Thanks!

Well the stock lens isnt a macrolens so you wont be able to take true macro shots but youll be able to take some close ups.

Take a look at jeremais thread as it gives excellent pointers for aquarium photography.

Thats an awesome shot of the pom pom crab. I got a decent shot of my last night too. Not as good as yours of course.

Thanks alot man. It took me forever to get a shot. I hadnt seen her for at least 2 months and when i do its typically at night

kevantheman35

i finally bought a pom pom last week. Acclimated him and dropped him in, where he immediately floated over and landed on a maxi mini and disappeared forever. It sucked :(

Thanks alot man. It took me forever to get a shot. I hadnt seen her for at least 2 months and when i do its typically at night

I very rarely see mine either and last night it was hanging out under my toadstool so i snapped a rare picture of it roaming the tank with the lights on.

i finally bought a pom pom last week. Acclimated him and dropped him in, where he immediately floated over and landed on a maxi mini and disappeared forever. It sucked sad.gif

Awww man sorry to hear that sad.gif

I very rarely see mine either and last night it was hanging out under my toadstool so i snapped a rare picture of it roaming the tank with the lights on.

I pretty much did the same thing.

I just started running gfo on a similar sized tank. What kind of problems sis you have? I couldn't find it in the thread

Well i was using brs high capacity gfo through a reactor and used more gfo than recommended. I stripped the water too quickly of nutrients and that can cause rtn in sps.

kevantheman35

gotcha. Yea I was worried since I am usg the tlf150 reactor and the recommended starting dose for a 34g of the gfo I'm using is like 5grams which barely covered the bottom of the reactor. So I started with more like 25g

gotcha. Yea I was worried since I am usg the tlf150 reactor and the recommended starting dose for a 34g of the gfo I'm using is like 5grams which barely covered the bottom of the reactor. So I started with more like 25g

Yea id recommend using less....Next test your phosphates regularly to determine when your GFO is exhausted.

Archived