Cultivated Reef

Mojo's 65 the Second Time Around

Mojorizn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Very nice set up you've got Mojo. Love the lighting that you've choosen. I didn't notice if you mentioned it, but how far up are the lights from the water surface?

Cheers,

Alex

• 7 months later...

Well, it's been awhile .... sometimes ya just gotta tell a Mod or two to eat sh*t and take a break....

Anyways, had a bit of a recent phosphate issue ( my own fault ) but that's on the mend.

Dec 2010

IMG_3014.jpg

Just snapped a quick iPhone shot:

Sept 2011

photo-_17_.jpg

Traded , lost and gained a few along the way. Had some excellent growth and some not so excellent.

Overall, hanging in there pretty nicely.

• 3 months later...

Time to replace the MH's and T5's .... again.

Gonna give LED a try and keep 2 of my T5's for color supplementation until the LED "color" debate settles, upgrading my DIY at a later time. ... lol

Things I have learned:

1:1 RB/CW is out and 2:1 RB/NW is the new standard

Equal spacing is out in favor of clusters

Various forms of "light diffusers" do a fantastic job of mixing color

Big THANKS goes out to Evil, Blasterman, jfarabaugh, DaveFason, Mike from Rapid LED and others for their input on this project.

The base for my project: I have a center brace ... yes. Sink is 5.888x28 inches from HeatsinkUSA.

Array_LED_48_Layout_Base.jpg

The 48 LED Kit from Rapid LED customized with 32RB + 16NW is what I'll be using with an extra driver.

Array_LED_48_NW_B.jpg

Array_LED_48_NW_F.jpg

checking 'back' in ... lol - still busy with work... part time reading on sumps, and overflows... and now i see you are moving on to led's... IM STILL FIGURING OUT THE CANOPY! lol

checking 'back' in ... lol - still busy with work... part time reading on sumps, and overflows... and now i see you are moving on to led's... IM STILL FIGURING OUT THE CANOPY! lol

Glad to see your still around. Hope all is well and I look forward to seeing a build from ya ... eventually ... lol

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick FTS: Tank is half lit btw.

FTS1242012.jpg

I'm still looking at LED but until then I just tossed in a couple Phoenix 14K as my 12's were goin on one year and I didnt wanna shell out the $$ for 2 Radium 20's.

Been having a diatom issue and despite carbon / gfo / skimmer / frequent WC's / Chaeto / 0TDS , etc, etc.

I just cant get the friggin phosphates under control.

I'm gonna make the leap and blame my year old shallow sandbed.

SO, have been removing it slowly during WC's with the plan to go 80% BB until I get a handle on the situation.

did a little rearranging as well.

Few more pics of my issue:

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

My Idaho Grape looks worse than in the pic. Despite turkey baster, direct power head flow and tooth brush this crap will not come off.

Has gotten better, but the battle continues ....

.005-.010 according to my Hanna. Changed 5g 2 days ago gonna hit it again tomorrow or next day.

Diatoms will grow from the base and push away the flesh of the coral, like in the last pic.

I'll add that I'm on the tail end of a 3 month battle with this stuff.

At one point, my rock was almost completely covered with brown , bubble filled snot jelly and brown algae. Diatoms, dinoflagellates, whatever ya wanna call it ....it SUX.

Just can't seem to strike the final blow, although I am close to winning this war.

.005-.010 according to my Hanna. Changed 5g 2 days ago gonna hit it again tomorrow or next day.

Diatoms will grow from the base and push away the flesh of the coral, like in the last pic.

I'll add that I'm on the tail end of a 3 month battle with this stuff.

At one point, my rock was almost completely covered with brown , bubble filled snot jelly and brown algae. Diatoms, dinoflagellates, whatever ya wanna call it ....it SUX.

Just can't seem to strike the final blow, although I am close to winning this war.

I don't think phosphate is your problem. Diatom isn't actually killing your SPS, it sounds like your SPS is suffering from "STN" and algae is just growing on the exposed area. Your tank may actually be suffering from nutrient deprivation. Try letting your phosphate sit at .06-.08ppm for a few weeks and see how your corals react.

I don't think phosphate is your problem. Diatom isn't actually killing your SPS, it sounds like your SPS is suffering from "STN" and algae is just growing on the exposed area. Your tank may actually be suffering from nutrient deprivation. Try letting your phosphate sit at .06-.08ppm for a few weeks and see how your corals react.

I'll look into that.

My dkh = 9-10 / Cal = ~440. PH always stable 8.3-8.2 24/7. Overall the tank looks pretty good.

I'm finally able to see bare rock again instead of brown, turf, snot, jelly crud ... happy about that.

That SPS is the extreme btw and was on a severely "choked" rock.

It has been regaining it's green flesh with pink ployp's look.

Long time, no post!

I finally did it, my 65G:

photo3-vi875.jpg

See what happens with your Diatoms now that you have the new bulbs in there. Since the old bulbs, you said were about a year old, the change in spectrum could have caused the outbreak. Otherwise test your RO water for Silicates.

• 3 weeks later...

Well -

After a week and a half of Peroxide dosing and spot treatment, new MH Bulbs and a couple filter socks...

tanks is back on track. Never used filter socks b4...I'm a converted fan for sure. Just stuffed it in the sump and swap it out every couple days for a clean one.

photo%20%283%29.JPG

Glad to hear things are getting better with your tank.

I you think filter socks are great, pick yourself up some mesh socks. Mesh are 100x easier to clean, a quick 2 min rinse and i'm back off to the races. I <3 mesh socks!

I too need to get back on one of my bikes... :unsure:

So, i was wondering why my clam has been closed for a couple days. After parking myself in front of my tank for a bit, I discovered the reason. My YT, a recent addition, has a taste for clam.

No, it's not pecking at algae ... it's going after the clam ... actually into the shell.

I moved the clam up to my frag rack for now.

I'll catch that YT ...eventually. It's outta here. YT is well fed, pellet, mysis, nori in a clip, etc.

Didn't believe it till I actually saw it first hand.

Click the pic ... it's a short video. Best I could get outta of several attempts ...lol

February182012.jpg

Archived