Innovative Marine Aquariums

L.E.D's

Gilby180

Well there are alot of positives but if we actually look at this from an educated and scientific standpoint you must understand that t’5s and metal halide peak at 420/460nm ranges but have other ranges and have what we call a “Full Spectrum” where LED’s only hit exactly 6500K and 460nm Range. So they ONLY peak there so there isnt a full spectrum Thus detured Growth. So this is misleading because yes I have seen tanks maintained with LED’s but as far as SPS growth MH owns that world.So yes they are “Bright” and look great and cool yes. But would I advocate these … NO due to an Incomplete Spectal Output Thus Not as great of Growth.. Don’t take my word for it… Research it. -Matt-

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL

^+1

Get ready for the sh*t storm.

They work just as well, or better, as any other lighting.

So let me guess, you wrote this without doing any real world experiments and just looked at a sheet of paper and made this conclusion?

nope i have had 2 Reefbrite strips one with 6500k and one 460nm range they are great for supp actinic but don't offer a full spectrum so if you are growing LPS or Softies ya they can work great but for sheer SPS growth they don't offer much

As a disclaimer, I'm from Michigan, and not everybody from the midwest or from a state that starts with the letter 'M' is a complete moron.

It's not even the LED -vs- T5 comments that are aggravating. It's the other stupid remarks such as reef halides and T5's being 'full spectrum' -vs- LED that kind of reflects the sad state of science classes in the U.S.

I could provide graphs showing this (as well as pics of over grown SPS tanks under LED), but the OP will likely bail.

Who's to say he didnt grow those all out with halides and then switch to LED's because I have evidence that states otherwise I use Supp 460nm atinics and they are great for coloration but not the same as a 460nm t5' in terms of growth even tho the par is equal to 2 t5's with reflectors.

As a disclaimer, I'm from Michigan, and not everybody from the midwest or from a state that starts with the letter 'M' is a complete moron.

It's not even the LED -vs- T5 comments that are aggravating. It's the other stupid remarks such as reef halides and T5's being 'full spectrum' -vs- LED that kind of reflects the sad state of science classes in the U.S.

I could provide graphs showing this (as well as pics of over grown SPS tanks under LED), but the OP will likely bail.

I'm just stating my exp. with LED and with what the spectral output says.. can u prove me wrong using science? im just saying cuz cutting me down and attacking me is one thing, but can u attack my actual argument please and give me an actual scientific argument..? because i dont know u seem like a liberal right now just attacking me and not my argument... sigh... and other tanks are no evidence because they could of grown those corals under somthing else and then switched alot of people do that.

Who's to say he didnt grow those all out with halides and then switch to LED's because I have evidence that states otherwise I use Supp 460nm atinics and they are great for coloration but not the same as a 460nm t5' in terms of growth even tho the par is equal to 2 t5's with reflectors.

Dude, can I paypal you a quarter so you can buy some punctuation?

First, because you don't know what you're doing in your own tank has no bearing on what everybody else is doing. Next, 6500k isn't a wavelength - it's a CCT. Last, T5's and halides aren't 'full spectrum'.

Here's PJR's tank over at Michigan Reefers - 100% LED. SPS looks good to me.

fts.jpg

but can u attack my actual argument please and give me an actual scientific argument..?

There's nothing to 'attack' because you have no arguement. Given the fact you think T5's and halides have 'full spectrum' is evidence enough you have no clue what you are bantering about.

Last, I'm not your 'cuz' because my parents are married.

Dude, can I paypal you a quarter so you can buy some punctuation?

First, because you don't know what you're doing in your own tank has no bearing on what everybody else is doing. Next, 6500k isn't a wavelength - it's a CCT. Last, T5's and halides aren't 'full spectrum'.

Here's PJR's tank over at Michigan Reefers - 100% LED. SPS looks good to me.

fts.jpg

There's nothing to 'attack' because you have no arguement. Given the fact you think T5's and halides have 'full spectrum' is evidence enough you have no clue what you are bantering about.

Last, I'm not your 'cuz' because my parents are married.

Again more insults and yes I do know what I am doing. I read and read and read all the time I know what I am talking about. and yes THEY do have full spectrums and they peak at certain ranges. Where as the LED's only peak at one particular range. Do you understand what I'm talking about? because it seems like you don't. I AM ASKING YOU TO PROVE TO ME HOW LED'S HAVE A FULL SPECTRAL OUTPUT!

>Who's to say he didnt grow those all out with halides and then switch to LED's

lol you can go with other reefers scheming and LED companies shilling their products if that makes you feel good, but i suggest you be open to the idea that the reef brites you bought suck and that you still haven't tried real LEDs yet.

also if 6500k can't grow sps then it sure is lucky that we have all these reef aquariums with halides because the sun is about 6500k and they would surely die in the ocean.

I AM ASKING YOU TO PROVE TO ME HOW LED'S HAVE A FULL SPECTRAL OUTPUT!

ok. here's various cool whites vs a phoenix 14k:

LEDvPhoenixMH.png

>Who's to say he didnt grow those all out with halides and then switch to LED's

lol you can go with other reefers scheming and LED companies shilling their products if that makes you feel good, but i suggest you be open to the idea that the reef brites you bought suck and that you still haven't tried real LEDs yet.

also if 6500k can't grow sps then it sure is lucky that we have all these reef aquariums with halides because the sun is about 6500k and they would surely die in the ocean.

OMFG the sun puts off more than one wavelength as in a FULL SPECTRUM and UV Rays and such. LED's are only one wavelength not a FULL SPECTRUM.

-_- how do reefbrite's suck I tested the par and it is equal to 2 t'5 with reflects 2 460nm

hes angry, his reef brite strips weren't up to.......PAR

LOL

i was going to do some kind of bad pun about him calling the light output chart "shady" but yours is so much better

someone is misinformed.

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXP-E.pdf

Do you see DWL?

Do you see the range of different wavelengths that these LEDs pass through?

I think his problem is that he says he READS READS READS and he is probally reading other dummy's misinformation.

I'll help you to learn.

Forum post are not always real. Next time read facts.

I learned this in 3 seconds of searching for cree datasheet and it proves your entire first post incorrect.

Thanks

OMFG the sun puts off more than one wavelength as in a FULL SPECTRUM and UV Rays and such. LED's are only one wavelength not a FULL SPECTRUM.

-_- how do reefbrite's suck I tested the par and it is equal to 2 t'5 with reflects 2 460nm

I can't tell if he seriously believes what he is saying or just trying to provoke a response.

Gilby, you do realize there is a difference between the temperature (6500, 14k, 20k, etc.) and the wavelength (420nm, 460nm) of light?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_temperature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_light

I also recommend you read up on the article below. It turns out that even narrow bandwidth blue can suffice all by itself for coral photosynthesis.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/feature.htm

It appears that I was misinformed Thank you for the information. My LFS told me when he took the PAR with me at the store that LED's Dont encourage growth due to an incomplete spectrum I trusted him because of his Great LFS store and hobby experience apparently I was Wrong too. and he just wants to sell more t5's and Halides.. thats all... I appologize. Its a good thing you were right though because I thought those Reefbrite stips are worthless turns out they should be a good addition to my Halide.

Archived