inTank Media Baskets

Ralph's Painted Angler Cube

NirvanaandTool

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fretfreak13

Congrats on the meal! I know how it is force feeding animals..ugh from seahorses to pythons. Sometimes you just gotta do it to continue giving their body the nutrition they need until they can pull through whatever it is they're going through on their own. Normally, it works and when they eat again on their own its the best feeling in the world!

NirvanaandTool

They are fun. Species tank fun but fun nonetheless. Perfect candidate for a spare 20L or 29g. :)

Congrats on the meal! I know how it is force feeding animals..ugh from seahorses to pythons. Sometimes you just gotta do it to continue giving their body the nutrition they need until they can pull through whatever it is they're going through on their own. Normally, it works and when they eat again on their own its the best feeling in the world!

Thanks! It was definitely weird force feeding him but I'm glad I did. I'm just thankful he's an angler and not one of my waspfish cause I was able to easily scoop him into my hand underwater and feed him. Seems like its helped him turn things around. I didnt get to see how swollen his tongue was last night but I'll take him feeding as a sign that things are improving.

jedimasterben

I can't wait to get another angler. Only getting from divers den, though. Two different ones from LFS have been bunk.

NirvanaandTool

DD has some amazing specimens. You pay a premium for them but man are they great looking anglers.

I'd like a giant angler next (A. Commersoni) like the one that was on DD this week. Something just amazes me at the thought of a 12" angler in a 40B or 55.

NirvanaandTool

He ate again on Friday night. A nice large piece of scallop.

Finally seeming like he's getting better. So. Freaking. Happy. :lol::lol::lol:

NirvanaandTool

The glutton is back! Scarfed down a big piece of clam last night with no hesitation.

No idea what caused his feeding/tongue problem but I'm guessing it went away on its own cause he's back to his old self eating wise.

That's awesome news! Very happy to hear.

Thanks man. Now the N-R angler crew can stay together!

NirvanaandTool

Sad news. He lost the fight with whatever was affecting his eating. Tongue swelled again Wednesday through Friday so I force fed Friday. He seemed fine on Saturday but yesterday I found him dead in the tank. No idea why, nothing seemed wrong besides his tongue from what I could tell.

RIP G.

:(

NirvanaandTool

I dont know. Maybe. Not sure what route I'm going to go with this tank. Maybe angler, maybe mantis shrimp, maybe something else.

Probably will just keep it fishless for now and maybe get a few peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab to take care of the aiptasia and bubble algae I have. Probably will take advantage of the lessened bioload and feed the LPS more too until I decide what to do next.

NirvanaandTool

Thanks man.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Have a few ideas floating around and one involves a nice sized upgrade. I'll see what happens and then fill everyone in when its settled.

• 5 months later...
NirvanaandTool

Old-ish thread but MAN I WANT AN ANGLER!

They are really awesome fish. If you can swing a species tank or have a spare attached fuge, they are great candidates. I'd get another if I wasnt going to combine this cube with my 40B in my new 90RR. Having 2 tanks going was getting to be a hassle so I'm just going to stick with 1 general predator tank for now. But I'll have an attached 10g fuge if I ever get the itch for another angler - would be fine for a pygmy angler. ;)

llama roadkill

They are really awesome fish. If you can swing a species tank or have a spare attached fuge, they are great candidates. I'd get another if I wasnt going to combine this cube with my 40B in my new 90RR. Having 2 tanks going was getting to be a hassle so I'm just going to stick with 1 general predator tank for now. But I'll have an attached 10g fuge if I ever get the itch for another angler - would be fine for a pygmy angler. ;)

By attached fuge you don't mean a box, right? I think I will make my stand skin so you can see into the fuge but nothing else, or just leave it open. The total water capacity of the fuge is roughly 13-14 gallons, if my math is correct. Do you think one could work in there?

NirvanaandTool

By attached fuge you don't mean a box, right? I think I will make my stand skin so you can see into the fuge but nothing else, or just leave it open. The total water capacity of the fuge is roughly 13-14 gallons, if my math is correct. Do you think one could work in there?

Yea I dont mean a little fuge box. I mean like a 10-20g tank plumbed into your system. Seems like quite a few on here have 10-20g display fuges and thats what I was kind of alluding to.

I'm going to plumb a 10g into my sump and use it as a fuge. Planning a 20H sump for skimmer/return pump. In the return pump area there will be another small pump that will pump water into a 10g - this will gravity drain back into the sump.

13-14 gallons would work for a Pygmy angler (Antennatus tuberosus) definitely. It would be doable for a Wartskin (Antennarius maculatus) but might be a little tight once it reaches it max size of 4" depending on how much it wants to move. Just make sure you get a Warty and not a Painted Angler or a Commerson's angler which look similar as juveniles cause they get bigger (much bigger for the Commerson's).

My 3" painted angler was fine in a 16g tank but I was planning on upgrading his tank to a 29g when he hit 4+". But well that didnt happen. :(

llama roadkill

Yea I dont mean a little fuge box. I mean like a 10-20g tank plumbed into your system. Seems like quite a few on here have 10-20g display fuges and thats what I was kind of alluding to.

I'm going to plumb a 10g into my sump and use it as a fuge. Planning a 20H sump for skimmer/return pump. In the return pump area there will be another small pump that will pump water into a 10g - this will gravity drain back into the sump.

13-14 gallons would work for a Pygmy angler (Antennatus tuberosus) definitely. It would be doable for a Wartskin (Antennarius maculatus) but might be a little tight once it reaches it max size of 4" depending on how much it wants to move. Just make sure you get a Warty and not a Painted Angler or a Commerson's angler which look similar as juveniles cause they get bigger (much bigger for the Commerson's).

My 3" painted angler was fine in a 16g tank but I was planning on upgrading his tank to a 29g when he hit 4+". But well that didnt happen. :(

The fuge in the sump is about 14"-16" long and is a 40B sump so it is 18" wide. The baffles on either side are 12".

So do you think 16" x 18" x 12" is a good size for a Warty, or maybe a Leaf Scorpion or another Scorpion? I was thinking of hanging one of those HOB breeding boxes or something like that in the refugium with ghost shrimp in it that I will feed the Angler or Scorpion every day.

NirvanaandTool

Yea 16x18x12 should be a good size for a warty or a leaf. 2 Scorps might be cutting it space wise though. You could try it and watch for aggression issues.

If you can, train em onto frozen. Better for their health to get a nice varied diet. And feed every other day. For reference I feed my wasps M-W-F and nothing on the weekend. Remember that these are ambush predators and don't move much so they don't need a ton of food.

llama roadkill
Yea 16x18x12 should be a good size for a warty or a leaf. 2 Scorps might be cutting it space wise though. You could try it and watch for aggression issues.

If you can, train em onto frozen. Better for their health to get a nice varied diet. And feed every other day. For reference I feed my wasps M-W-F and nothing on the weekend. Remember that these are ambush predators and don't move much so they don't need a ton of food.

Sorry, I meant one type of Scorpion or Angler. One is probably the best.

So frozen foods like silversides?

So my options: (correct me if I'm wrong)

Antennarius maculatus

Taenianotus triacanthus

Paracentropogon rubripinnis

Any others?

Archived