Innovative Marine Aquariums

November 2010 - Squirrelieygrrrl

Christopher Marks

Congrats! Tank looks amazing. I want my 16 gallon to look like that! Good words of wisdom in your write up. I thought you would have to dose more alk than that, but hey, doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong. SPS look great.

squirrelieygrrrl
Congrats! Tank looks amazing. I want my 16 gallon to look like that! Good words of wisdom in your write up. I thought you would have to dose more alk than that, but hey, doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong. SPS look great.

awww! :happy: thanks so much ulver,

i really appreciate u taking the time to read it. youll get there in no time at all for sure. for some reason my alk isnt depleted as quickly as my ca. ya got me as to why.

squirrelieygrrrl

in other news my tank was also featured in reef threads podcast # 11 as one of their noteworthy tanks. if you all havent listened to them they are quite funny and informative too.

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks gabe!

i really like your tank too. usually i don't care for bb tanks but there's something about yours that's special.

Wow.. you have a beautiful tank. Congrats!

I see that you dont like the pistol shrimp now. Well.. I had the same issue, and my tank is a 14 gallon. So the real estate is at super premium for me. I had a pistol and a goby. They were the best feature of my tank, except they dig everywhere and prevented me from having anything on the sand bed. I ended up selling them. I had to take everything apart to catch them.

To me, just static tanks are boring and so I needed some action. Now I am missing them. Thinking of adding a jawfish and provide a pvc home if I ever have to redo the tank. I have two clowns now. I will at least get a porcelain or a pom pom crab in the mean time.

Since you are stuck with a pistol, why not add a watchman? At least, you might be able to enjoy their joint behavior.

squirrelieygrrrl
Beautiful tank :wub: I'm so glad that you are able to keep a beautiful mixed reef with such a simple set up.

thank you pyronus,

its helluva lot of work though because i have to pick up the slack due to my cheap equip.

thanks, and your welcome!

:D

Wow.. you have a beautiful tank. Congrats!

I see that you dont like the pistol shrimp now. Well.. I had the same issue, and my tank is a 14 gallon. So the real estate is at super premium for me. I had a pistol and a goby. They were the best feature of my tank, except they dig everywhere and prevented me from having anything on the sand bed. I ended up selling them. I had to take everything apart to catch them.

To me, just static tanks are boring and so I needed some action. Now I am missing them. Thinking of adding a jawfish and provide a pvc home if I ever have to redo the tank. I have two clowns now. I will at least get a porcelain or a pom pom crab in the mean time.

Since you are stuck with a pistol, why not add a watchman? At least, you might be able to enjoy their joint behavior.

thanks lohitha,

:happy: its not that i truly dislike her. just that she really limits what i can add to my tank. the species of pistol i have is not the more common species offered. she is a non-commensal species. which means she is a livestock killer. anything that dares to go near her cave network usually meets an untimely death. about every month or so i have to replace my cuc as well.

for all her shortcomings she has been terribly interesting to observe. i agree absolutely about static tanks. best of luck to you with yours.

Awesome tank, What is that blue GSP looking coral you have? Its above (and to the right) of your red mushrooms?

thanks so much kweli!

that green/blueish coral you see is a rather po'ed duncan colony. its the same coral in the shot i took of the clown. i turned on the lights at night to take that fts shot so some of my corals weren't completely open. i have alot of people ask me wth is that? i think its because you dont usually see a whole duncan colony, just frags. that guy is quite large about the size of a a soft ball.

• 1 year later...
thefishboyy18

yooo. i think we have a lot in common lol, cause origionally i started out with a 10 gallon nano tank, pretty nice but nothing too great, then i went to the fish store last week and saw the aqueon 16 bow front, and i actually liked it, and being the fact that im getting my sunpod 20 inch in this week, and that itd be too much light for a 12"deep 10 gallon, im switching over. then i saw your thread and i was like omg shes doin the same thing! haha. but anyways awesome tank i love it. Now when you switched over, did your cycles recycle cause of disturbing the sand bed?

Archived