ReefCleaners.org

Pong's 20L College Reef

awpong

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are your clowns hosting in the frogspawn!! ??

:'( I wish lol. I tried to entice them a while back, using the taped picture method, but I always got nervous that they might kill the frogspawn and removed the picture within 36 hours. However, I've been considering it again, and I'm thinking tomorrow I might put up the pictures for good and see what happens.

Fun fact... my six line wrasse spends more time swimming in and out of my frogspawn than my clowns... I don't know what's going on with him. He's a daredevil, and it may one day cause his demise.

boomeraudio

What model koralia nano are you using in your tank?

I have a 425. And it seems the flow is too strong for my frogspawn and Xenia no matter where i put it.

Any new pics?

Yea, thanks for showing intrest! I'll post another update along with some more pictures tomorrow.

boomeraudio
Yea, thanks for showing intrest! I'll post another update along with some more pictures tomorrow.

I look forward to it!

Here's the latest update:

I haven't added any new frags to my tank, but the frags I have have been growing nicely. The maxi mini I received from mrcoral a few weeks ago has already doubled in size, probably more. The only issue is that he decided to migrate to the back of my tank. I can still see him... but I have to look for him. I'm hoping he'll move eventually. Also, I rearranged a tad and have been working on reviving a plate coral that I received for free. The plate basically unattached from the skeleton all together, and is only holding on at the mouth. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, since part of the skeleton's septa are broken. But I'm crossing my fingers.

Here are a few pics of the plate:

a3.jpg

IMG_20110422_133139.jpg

IMG_20110422_133113.jpg

These are what it looked like when I got it.

It has since opened up a bit more. I've been trying to feed it, and I think it's been eating a little, but not as readily as I would like.

IMG_20110423_150109.jpg

IMG_20110423_150058.jpg

Here are also some random pictures of my tank:

IMG_20110424_110235.jpg

Side-Tank Shot

a2.jpg

Tabasco, my fire red cleaner shrimp

a1.jpg

My cool little pink shroom hitchhiker.

IMG_20110415_164048.jpg

I glued some frag to my LR, and even tried to glue my recently fragged Palau Nepthea, but it slimmed off the glue within a day. I'm having issues trying to get it to attach to anywhere in my tank... it keeps falling. I place it in cracks... it falls... I superglue it places.... it falls.... i fill an empty snail shell with glue, and shove the leather in it.... it escapes... it's not really branched so I can't use the rubber band method without damaging the flesh too much, but I think I might be out of options. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Your little pink hitch hiker shroom is a Superman Mushroom. A nice freebie lol.

Yup, that's it. I wasn't sure if that was the official name. I've seen it on mrcoral's website before, but they make up so many random names, it's hard to tell what's made up and what's not.

Here are pics of the plate coral today during my tank feeding of cyclopeeze. He definitely reacts to the presence food in the tank.

IMG_20110424_115237.jpg

IMG_20110424_115308.jpg

boomeraudio

I hope the plate makes it! Tank looks great man. I'm working on my 10gal right now. What are you using for filtration? I have a hang over aqua tech filter and a submersible too. I am thinking about making my own thread.

Your shrimp is badass! I've got a purple reef lobster but never see him :(. He only comes out at night. I was thinking about a cleaner shrimp but I'm not sure if the lobster will like him haha. Any ideas?

I hope the plate makes it! Tank looks great man. I'm working on my 10gal right now. What are you using for filtration? I have a hang over aqua tech filter and a submersible too. I am thinking about making my own thread.

Your shrimp is badass! I've got a purple reef lobster but never see him :(. He only comes out at night. I was thinking about a cleaner shrimp but I'm not sure if the lobster will like him haha. Any ideas?

Thanks!

For filtration, all I use is the natural biological filtration and my DIY HOB fuge filled with cheato.

I hear that purple reef lobsters aren't really reef safe. I've heard that they will actively hunt your fish and clams, and I'm fairly certain that he would make a meal out of a cleaner if you got one. If it were me, I'd get rid of him or set up a separate tank just for him.

Good luck with your tank and thanks for your support! You should definitely start up a thread, I'd love to see your tank.

boomeraudio
Thanks!

For filtration, all I use is the natural biological filtration and my DIY HOB fuge filled with cheato.

I wanna work on a DIY HOB. I was thinking an aqua clear 70. I just really don't know where to start :( I tried reading some other forums on it but don't totally understand it. I don't know what they come with either.

How did you learn?

I wanna work on a DIY HOB. I was thinking an aqua clear 70. I just really don't know where to start :( I tried reading some other forums on it but don't totally understand it. I don't know what they come with either.

How did you learn?

Here's a really good guide on how to DIY an AC 70 fuge: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=601201

To be honest, I bought mine from someone else on this forum lol. It's not the AC, but rather an 100% DIY 2.4g acrylic one (made from scratch). I considered building one myself, but then I found this one for a really good price. I used to have a really good link that gave step by step instructions to build a fuge like the one I have, but I don't know what it is anymore. If you want, I could try and find it.

boomeraudio

Yeah if i can find one that's already made for the right price I'd buy it. Then i can get rid of all the other stuff taking up room in my tank (I.e. Submersible. Heater.)

If you can find the step by step that'd be cool. :) thanks!

Yeah if i can find one that's already made for the right price I'd buy it. Then i can get rid of all the other stuff taking up room in my tank (I.e. Submersible. Heater.)

If you can find the step by step that'd be cool. :) thanks!

I couldn't find the original link that I planned on using to build mine, but here's a similar design. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/19...um-skimmer.html

But the designs are really simple. You can basically look at successful designs, and create your own. Here is a link to another person's DIY fuge. This one is very similar to mine. http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12402

Nice looking tank. Coming along great.

Thank you very much!

By the way, I like your extreme misbar black clown (or is it a domino?)

boomeraudio

Thank you so much!! I will be starting my own thread for my tank ASAP. I am awaiting LED's to arrive and just got a really nice favia today too.

I might start it today! I will keep you in the loop. Again, thanks for your help man.

Here's another cool side tank shot. I like this one better than the first. The glass is actually clean, and the coral is more open. Also, you can see some of the pictures I just taped to the glass. I'm trying to entice the clowns to host my frogspawn :) .

IMG_20110427_150344-1.jpg

I have no idea. But although they may look awesome, they're fricking tiny! Smaller than a pencil eraser lol. Oh well, they're still pretty neat.

Archived