ReefCleaners.org

New 65 Gallon Tank

thermosts

Picked up a new Aqueon 65 Standard with pine stand for a killer price. I have a 36" NEP that I've had since March in anticipation of this upgrade from my 29G.

65-Gallon.jpg

Plans include:

Glass-holes 700 Kit

Two 3/4" drilled returns. (Possible SCWD)

Rio+ 2100 Return

I have a 20L to use as a sump, but I'm not sure if it will be deep enough.

Need to get a new skimmer. My Remora C will not work with this setup.

I'm not sure if I want to go bare bottom or go with a shallow sand bed.

I've also been contemplating using Aquaroche ceramic reef scapes. It's a little pricey but I like how the reef plates just lock into the pillars and can easily be removed.

Nothing can happen till I go back to work and I'm off disability. So for now I just have an empty tank with a light. :tears:

I do have a Fuzzy Cat Fish:

IMG_3374.jpg

:D

im planing on doing the same thing.

I really like the 65g,

I have the nep 36" also, 6 bulbs should work for the tank.

Alot of options for HIGH raise towers.

You can drill your rocks and make sone towers. Thats my plan.

I know every1 here goes 40b,,

But the extra hight seems like a good choice to me.

Ill be following.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a 40 breeder just sitting here on the floor. I got it for $50, brought it home, looked at it and said; this isn't deep enough for what I want to do. I want to do a central rock pillar but might do something like the pic below.

This is a Red Sea MAX 250 (Not my tank)

rsm250_af.jpg

The tank in this pic uses ceramic Aquaroche pillars: Aquaroche Reef Pillars

I picked up my 65g tank 2day,

Sitting on my floor,

can you give me the exact dimentions on your glass holes kit,

Im going to fab one up.

thanks.

Lets start the 65g club!!!!

Nice! We should start a 65G club and take over the world. :ninja:

I didn't get the overflow kit yet, but I do know the 700 box is 2" deep X 6" tall X 6.25" wide. It also uses a 1.5" bulkhead.

What are you doing for a sump and return on your tank?

Im looking into an oversized overflow box,

12x4x6,

As for a sump, Im going to use my current one, return im going to use my current one.

Plumbing wise, Im not going to go the PVC, route this time. I want to keep it as flexable as possible.

Shiver the G-H 1500 kit is 2"x6"x12.25" and uses two 1.5" BH's

Why the larger overflow, you looking for more flow or ?

I might go with the 1500 just to have two drains as a precaution. Always good to have a plan b or backup drain.

I'm also considering ditching the 20L and use the 40B I have for the sump or if I can get some money together I know someone selling a sump with built in skimmer.

Assorted glass hole saws..... $35

Two 3/4" bulkheads and Lockline..... $45

Plumbers putty from HD..... $1.99

Spending tomorrow drilling the tank..... Priceless

nice! great start! a 20l would be fine for a fuge/sump. depending on your stand, a 40b may be too big and hard to remove the skimmer for cleaning.... plus your remora would work for now, you could just hang it on the sump. i did that till i got my new skimmer.

if your looking for a kick ass skimmer without a big price tag: NAC7

Got the returns drilled today. Really took my time and layed everything out. Now I need to order the G-H 700 overflow and drill one more hole.

Before Drilling:

BeforeDrill-vi.jpg

After Drilling:

AfterDrill-vi.jpg

In an effort to reduce the number of holes I have to drill, I passed on the 1500 and I ordered the G-H 700 kit today. :D

Also getting some 3/4" Loc-Line pliers. 3/4" Loc-line is a lot harder to take apart and reconnect than the 1/2" I use at work. This was me trying to get the sections apart yesterday: :rant:

whats the word on the drilling? any progress?

Funny you should ask. After a slight mix up with the mailman, I got my G-H 700 kit yesterday and as I was looking at it and reading the directions something became blatantly clear. They reverse mount the bulkhead and have the nut on the inside of the tank. This would be all fine and good if you dont have a oh so convenient cross brace in the way like I do as you can see in the pictures. :rolleyes: Wish I put 2 and 2 together before drilling the returns. I knew they reverse mounted the bulkhead and just never took the cross brace into consideration.

So after some brainstorming and some measurements, I got a new bulkhead. I'm going to take it to work and cut 1/2" off on a lathe so I can drop it into the overflow and tighten the nut from the outside. I'm going to have to do some DIY plumbing since I'm not going to be able to use the bulkhead or the elbow that came with the kit.

I'll make it work. ;)

"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." ~Willy Wonka

Tagging along. I have a 40B that I've been thinking of turning into a 65.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Aqueon 65RR today (Nov 16) so I'll be transferring on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

So what I thought was a problem with the stand turns out to be a problem with the floor. Will work on leveling the stand and drill the overflow soon.

you COULD cut out the center brace, add the overflow box, then replace the black center brace with a section of 3" wide 1/4" plexi or acrylic secured to the frame with 2-3 nylon bolts on each end. that way you also have no shadow in the middle of the tank.

Tagging along. I have a 40B that I've been thinking of turning into a 65.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Aqueon 65RR today (Nov 16) so I'll be transferring on Tuesday.

Well here it is.

IMG_29813.jpg

I'm not going to cut the center brace. I've decided to put my O.C.D. aside and put the overflow off center so I have access to the nut for the bulkhead.

I leveled the stand on Friday and have my 40B on the stand filled about half way with water. I think since I still have a long way to go with getting the 65 going, I might move everything from the BC8 to the 40B while I finish the 65, put together a sump and get a few more odds and ends I need. The BC8 is REALLY cramped right now.

Plus depending on how things go I might be moving in Feb. and I don't want to go through all the work of setting up the tank only to break it down and move it.

I did pick up:

SCWD

JBJ True Temp 300w Heater

RKL + SL1 (w/ ph and temp probe)

:happydance:

Archived