Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Supplement Cleanup Crew

mbonus

Thanks John for the supplement cleanup crew,

Some background: About six weeks ago I purchased a mature 12 aquapod with a false percula, pj cardinal, peppermint shrimp, and a cuc of some hermits and snails. I eventually found this forum with many gushing recommendations about reefcleaners. I then proceded to bombard john with a dozen or so pm's regarding how to supplement my existing cuc. I finally decided on what I wanted to get an ordered through the reefcleaners.org website.

The order process was a snap and everything arrived just fine via ups ground (next day within lower FL). I waited 15 min of thermal acclimation and dumped the snails. The little ceriths have started to disperse, but the 3 FL ceiriths haven't really moved yet. They were under immediate attack from my hermits. I had to move the hermits and then put the snails up inside some rock crevices for protection while they adjust from the trip.

Thanks John for the variety of empty shells. Unfortunately, since I wasn't more specific of how BIG my hermits are, the two largest empty shells I received are still too small for even the smaller of my two hermits. It was checking out the empty's after I moved the FL ceriths, but the empty's look to be about the same size as its current shell. My other hermit is a mongo, I should probably just remove him from this tank. I had a third hermit, but last week his shell came up empty and haven't seen him since.

The tank sure loves the meaty food mix. One of my existing 1/4" snails grabbed a larger piece of krill that was about 3x his size and started floating around the tank! Eventually I was about to take it from him, and the peppermint shrimp grabbed the krill from the snail, and retreated inside the rock structure.

All in all the experience from initial contact to receipt of goods from reefcleaners has been overwhelmingly positive.

Thanks again John,

Mike

Here's some gratuitous tank shots: Sorry for the cell phone pics...

Smaller hermit

hermit%209.9.10.jpg

Basic aquascape - (or lump-scape)

nanopod12ga%208.31.10.jpg

Possible future fuzzy chiton food?

hair%20like%20algea.jpg

Snail update:

Well I am pretty sure two of the three FL ceriths made it okay. One I definitely saw on the glass. The second seemed to move a few inches last night. The third either fell victim to the peppermint shrimp or died from acclimation and then was consumed by the pep. Either way, I clearly saw said snail being consumed by pep within the confines of the rock. I have now purchased pellet food, so I am hoping will quell its appetite. We shall see.

• 1 month later...

I finally did a substrate change and got rid of the crushed coral. Nitrates are down, so I ordered a chiton to see if it can make works of that hair like stuff on the left.

Maybe my tank could be in the ugliest tank shots as well!

new%20substrate%20fts%2010.19.10.jpg

not a chance! :) You have a long way to go, and I think you are heading in the wrong direction for that contest. :) Good move on the crushed coral, that stuff does trap detritus like no one's business.

Archived